People pay too much for...

My lack of desire for a fancy cooler besides the cost is:

I would need a much larger fancy cooler to equal the capacity of my regular coolers.​
I have an icemaker and ice is cheap where I live/fish. In addition, at least how & when I use a cooler, I have never needed to replenish ice more frequently than daily and even then the ice didn’t completely melt.​
I doubt I am going on any “three hour tours” where I will become shipwrecked for three 30+ episode seasons with NO access to ice or electricity. Bottom line, I don’t really have or expect to have a need.​

If your situations are like mine and you own a Yeti, I need a better understanding of why?? ;)

BTW – If you don't have/want a Yeti type cooler and want to save some money and a little bit of ice:

Regular coolers never have insulation in the lid so buy some of these.​
And a can of this.​
Drill 3/8” holes into the voids in the lid on the inside.​
Fill the voids with the foam, wait until it completely expands & hardens, then plug the holes.​

Ice will last much longer in any of your plebeian coolers if you just insulate the lid. (y)

Taxes....
And the worst part is that you have no choice but to pay what they say you owe.

With everything else already mentioned, at least you can look elsewhere for a better deal.
Or do without it

Reactions: CRB
Parking at stadiums.

my wedding was a backyard BBQ. everyone enjoyed themselves. i think it cost like $700. ribs, burgers, pulled pork.

my buddy made fun of me for the longest time. but his wedding was $30,000 and is now divorced.

we are still happily married.
Mine too was a backyard wedding. (y)
It was one hell of a party too.
24 years ago and my family still talks about how much fun it was.

Autos, just to rust out before they die a natural death. I would love to have a few of the classics that I have owned that went to the crusher due to rust.

Abel nippers
True. I just bought a pair of "nippers" (nail clippers) at Dollar General for 99 cents, plus tax. They cut the tippet just fine.

I have a Rubbermaid and two Gott coolers and I have had them for years. At least since the 1980's.

They have served me well.

I also have a Yeti 45, which is an upgrade. How much of an upgrade and price justification is debatable. I always pre-cool my coolers and put everything in them cold.

I spend a lot of weekends in the Poconos. Some of them are 4 days. The Yeti is for beer. The others for food, and other liquids like water and Gatorade so I don't open them as much. And, I don't use all of them all of the time.

Ice lasts longer in the Yeti, but I also use block ice in my other food coolers which is a difference maker.

Is the Yeti worth the cost? Maybe. The Yeti is also all by itself heavy so I bring that to the cabin empty other than the pre cooling ice and then the 30 pack, and then load the cold beer in the pre-cooled Yeti followed by the freshly cold ice that I just bought at Harmony Beverage in Blakeslee.

The system works in that I never have anything that I want/need that isn't already plenty cold. I do open the Yeti cold beverage cooler more often during a 4 day weekend than I do the food coolers.

I always have more ice left in the Yeti than my other coolers, but since I have had them so long, they are aging. Just like me.

Gas, Shell made 9 billion last quarter. Record profit in spite of oil prices dropping 20/barrel since a year ago. Again, I put 30 bucks in less than once a week but it sucks gor others.
Screenshot 20230505 194727 Chrome

Gas, Shell made 9 billion last quarter. Record profit in spite of oil prices dropping 20/barrel since a year ago. Again, I put 30 bucks in less than once a week but it sucks gor others. View attachment 1641230295

I don’t recall many media people and politicians mentioning 2 years ago that Shell, and the other large oil companies, were loosing tens of billions of dollars.

Last edited:
Based on the longevity reports and DYI repair info I see on PAFF:

Waders & wading shoes.​

And something more important to me:

Local craft beer, local wine and local spirits. Ridiculous prices for mediocre products from companies who barely spend a dime on marketing...​
Having made wine for a living and starting a winery with my brother I can say that direct to consumer wine sales are not as lucrative as you might think. There are a lot of expenses in the business and work getting those bottles to you. I agree, for the product it is too expensive.. We can't craft wine to scale like Mondavi or some other large company.

I have a Rubbermaid and two Gott coolers and I have had them for years. At least since the 1980's.

They have served me well.

I also have a Yeti 45, which is an upgrade. How much of an upgrade and price justification is debatable. I always pre-cool my coolers and put everything in them cold.

I spend a lot of weekends in the Poconos. Some of them are 4 days. The Yeti is for beer. The others for food, and other liquids like water and Gatorade so I don't open them as much. And, I don't use all of them all of the time.

Ice lasts longer in the Yeti, but I also use block ice in my other food coolers which is a difference maker.

Is the Yeti worth the cost? Maybe. The Yeti is also all by itself heavy so I bring that to the cabin empty other than the pre cooling ice and then the 30 pack, and then load the cold beer in the pre-cooled Yeti followed by the freshly cold ice that I just bought at Harmony Beverage in Blakeslee.

The system works in that I never have anything that I want/need that isn't already plenty cold. I do open the Yeti cold beverage cooler more often during a 4 day weekend than I do the food coolers.

I always have more ice left in the Yeti than my other coolers, but since I have had them so long, they are aging. Just like me.
I just got my first "fancy cooler." It was given to me. I could never justify the cost. I've always bought and used cheap coolers and, yeah, they worked.

Is it worth the cost? I don't know. Is it a heck of a lot better than my cheap coolers? Yes.

As far as fly gear there is TONS of overpriced crap but I think WT2 got the best one... Fly line. But nippers, rods, reels, packs and vests, it's all over priced.

I just got my first "fancy cooler." It was given to me. I could never justify the cost. I've always bought and used cheap coolers and, yeah, they worked.

Is it worth the cost? I don't know. Is it a heck of a lot better than my cheap coolers? Yes.
Dear jifigz,

If you use a cooler a lot a quality one is well worth the money, As someone who has used Igloo Marine coolers for 30 plus years prior to buying an Rtic, I can tell you that $ 50.00 or $ 60.00 a cooler every 3 or 4 years gets expensive. Yes, you can save them sometimes and get another year out of them by replacing the hinges and latch, but that cost $ 15.00 or $ 20.00 a cooler.

The cooler I bought cost $ 179.00 2 years ago. I've saved more than it cost in ice in those 2 years, and the cooler will probably last me the rest of my life.

Truth be told, I wish I could find a NOS Coleman steel cooler. My dad gave me his over 20 years ago and it was just for beer. Fish went in the Igloos. That thing kept ice like nothing else. But the problem is the plastic liner on the underside of the lid gets brittle over time and cracks. Then moisture gets in the Styrofoam insulation causing it to swell making it impossible to seal the lid with the latch.

I almost wept when I finally had to give up on a 45-year-old cooler that served 10's of 1000's of beers to the Murphy family and their friends.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Tim Murphy,

I do use coolers a fair amount (not as much as I used to since I don't drink beer anymore, but.....) and today I had 2 coolers, a red Igloo and a Yeti Roadie. The Yeti was gifted to me and if I had to buy a fancy cooler it would have been a Pelican or RTIC. Yeti is made in China I believe and costs over $200. My Igloo proudly said "Made in America" and maybe cost me $30 or so.

I don't believe USA always makes the best or anything as some other countries have amazing manufacturing. The only thing I hate about the Yeti is this, though, it is made in China which equates to generally cheap manufacturing costs and it costs consumers a fortune. Yes, it is an amazing cooler, but I can only think the country of manufacture paired with the price means huge profits for the company.

I at least like those "made in America" products because people need jobs. My Igloo says it is from Katy, Texas, or at least that is where Igloo.is headquartered . If you've ever lived in rural America sometimes one factory or product can really drive the whole local economy.

Regards,

Jifigz

Dear Tim Murphy,

I do use coolers a fair amount (not as much as I used to since I don't drink beer anymore, but.....) and today I had 2 coolers, a red Igloo and a Yeti Roadie. The Yeti was gifted to me and if I had to buy a fancy cooler it would have been a Pelican or RTIC. Yeti is made in China I believe and costs over $200. My Igloo proudly said "Made in America" and maybe cost me $30 or so.

I don't believe USA always makes the best or anything as some other countries have amazing manufacturing. The only thing I hate about the Yeti is this, though, it is made in China which equates to generally cheap manufacturing costs and it costs consumers a fortune. Yes, it is an amazing cooler, but I can only think the country of manufacture paired with the price means huge profits for the company.

I at least like those "made in America" products because people need jobs. My Igloo says it is from Katy, Texas, or at least that is where Igloo.is headquartered . If you've ever lived in rural America sometimes one factory or product can really drive the whole local economy.

Regards,

Jifigz
Dear jifigz,

I bought an Igloo BMX 25 on sale last year as a replacement for my big Igloo Playmate. It cost me about $ 60.00 and again it has paid for itself in ice savings. I loved that big Playmate because it held a case of beer and ice and had a handle making it easy to carry. But an 8-pound bag of ice only lasted a few minutes longer than it would have lasted had I dropped it on my driveway on a 90 degree day.

The newer coolers are an amazing improvement on the older ones. It's tough to drop a couple of hundie$ on a cooler but in my case that math was easy. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

It would seem that these expensive coolers would be prime for theft.

Back