Pennsylvania's Classic Limestone Springs

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Great stuff! Thank you for sharing.

Great stuff! Thanks for posting.

Great post.

I've not had the privledge of fishing spring creeks in PA. The pictures of the streams are so intimidating. No wide open spaces for a backcast, vegetation all over the water. Add using light tippet and it's a wonder anybody can land a fish. I've only been at the fly fishing game eight years and would feel way over my head. Wouldn't stop me from trying though.

:)

Nice to see a post about fish and fishing, instead of some diatribe about some group that isn't the same as whoever the OP is!

I'm curious about the caption on the "volcanic" limestone stream in NC PA. AFAIK, there are no igneous rocks (save for glacial cobble) in NC PA. It's all sedimentary, as is most of western PA (really most of PA, except for southern southcentral-PA [i.e. Adams county] and southeastern PA). Is that a play on words?

I'm curious of that as well, Sal, and also curious which stream the other Sal is referring to (I think I know...)

Interesting, informative, and the pics were great.!

Loved it Sal. I was fortunate to cut my fly fishing teeth on Big Spring and the Letort in the early 70s. Thousands of outings on these water have taught me ywo fundamental facts, each of which were addressed by Sal.

1. Move slowly and take advantage of cover. When you think you are moving slowly, slow down. Reference 4:16 in the following:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=39k067hcgYY

2. Trout in these streams are meat eaters. My standbys are Shenk’s sculpin and white minnow.

salmonoid wrote:
Nice to see a post about fish and fishing, instead of some diatribe about some group that isn't the same as whoever the OP is!

I'm curious about the caption on the "volcanic" limestone stream in NC PA. AFAIK, there are no igneous rocks (save for glacial cobble) in NC PA. It's all sedimentary, as is most of western PA (really most of PA, except for southern southcentral-PA [i.e. Adams county] and southeastern PA). Is that a play on words?

I was wondering about that too. Where did that reference come from about volcanic stuff?

I'm also pretty sure there are no volcanic rocks in northcentral PA. The underlying rocks are sedimentary.

If the reference is to spring creeks in northern Potter Country, such as Oswayo Creek and Mill Creek, those are "glacial till spring creeks."

The glaciers moved south across NY state and scraped off a lot of material, including limestone, and deposited it in northern Potter County.

The rain flows through the glacial till aquifer, which creates high alkalinity, and also provides better base flow than freestone streams.

I really liked the stream photos. They remind of the old school slide film days, which I miss. They have a similar look.

And low gradient spring creeks and the surrounding landscape have a beautiful and special appearance. At least the ones that haven't been wrecked.

Sal, if you haven't gone to the Driftless Area yet, you should. Low gradient limestone spring creeks all over the place. Hundreds of miles of them.

Sorry guys.
That one is a funny to me story.
A local in potter county directed me and my brother there. He told me it was volcanic. We got a good laugh and yet an uneasy feeling. It was a weird day.
Inside joke .

For accuracy, you guys are in fact correct in location and reason.
Glacial.

Nice work, Sal. I used to spend a lot of time on Big Spring, Letort, and Falling Springs, and I think you're right on the money with your research into spooking trout.

Had to come out of hiding to comment on this post. Fantastic work here. I've fished most of these waters a few times over the years, but it's been several since I ventured over that way. Been kind of in a rut fishing wild streams in the mountains for brooks lately. This post may have pushed me to revisit some of these streams.

I remember fishing Big Spring when the hatchery was still spewing. Haven't been back since they shut that down. Been a while I guess. I've often thought that I should go there now to see how it's changed.

I think the last time I hit Falling Spring was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I fished it a fair bit back in the mid/late 90's.

Thank you for taking the time to put together such an awesome post. This should be sticky'd.

Back