Pear Tree Swap

Yep, I was pretty sure this one would fill up quickly. There will be some really great ties come out of this swap! I’m headed out for a week of bowhunting so I was practicing a bit at the vise tonight so I had one to chuck into the empty Altoids tin dedicated to this swap on my tying table to remind me of the commitment I just made when I get back to the vise after hunting season.

Swing this wet fly during any active sulphur hatch next Spring and hang on!

View attachment 1641232864
As always…another quality fly dc410!!

Sounds like a good one! I'll note it when I do the next listing, GMH.

Kim

I traded a couple of PMs with Kim earlier today, mostly about Altoids containers. I picked up from a few of his responses that quite a few of us use them as swap boxes and as fly boxes on the stream.

I manage nearly all of my flies on the water in Altoids tins and I 3D print divider inserts that convert them into really functional fly boxes.

20231030 22371120231030 164629

Kim agreed to let me send in a bunch with my fly offering and he'll distribute them out to you when he sends back flies.

I told him it was my apology for the really crappy flies I'm sending you 🙂

I hope you choose to snap them in and give them a try.

I think you are getting a positive response from the tyers!

Kim

If you have room for one more, I will join in. I will tie a February Red with a slight modification to use the partridge. This is for my old buddy who passed this year and he gave me a some of the floss to tie the body with.

You are in and most welcome! I hope these ties will bring back some good memories for you.

Kim

NOTE: There is one opening left in this swap.

Thanks.
This is the fly I will be tying for the swap.
Hope this link opens for you so you can read the article about my friend and his fly.
Bill

Were you a member of FAOL? I cut my teeth on swaps on that site! It was the best site I've ever seen. Ladyfisher ran a great site.

Kim

Looks good to me!

Kim

You are all getting me excited about this swap!

Were you a member of FAOL? I cut my teeth on swaps on that site! It was the best site I've ever seen. Ladyfisher ran a great site.

Kim
Pardon me for interrupting, but I found your reference to FAOL interesting. I’ve been a member there for 20 years. It used to be the first thing that I checked when I got on the internet every day, but I rarely go there these days, and like it’s original owners who are now both deceased, it’s slowly dying these days. Its archives still contain a wealth of information for anyone who might be interested in searching them however.

A couple months ago I did look up and re-read the story that was posted a number of years back on FAOL by a woman fly fisherman who was attacked by a grizzly while sleeping in her tent just outside Yellowstone, including a picture that she put on there of this grizzly making off with her FAOL hat. (I see that you joined that forum about that time and may remember reading about It at the time.)

IMG 3322

Funny, my memory was that the hat was all that was left of her! :rolleyes:

Kim

BTW, I used this same handle on FAOL.

Funny, my memory was that the hat was all that was left of her! :rolleyes:

Kim

BTW, I used this same handle on FAOL.
😃
I never followed or participated in any of the swaps on FAOL, but I did look at some of them earlier this morning, and saw there were a LOT of swaps on there over the years, and I saw several of the swaps you had there (But I only perused a few of the hundreds of swaps on there over the years!).

Kim
No I wasn't but I like to look at the old ties and my buddy Jere was a member and did submit this fly.

😃
I never followed or participated in any of the swaps on FAOL, but I did look at some of them earlier this morning, and saw there were a LOT of swaps on there over the years, and I saw several of the swaps you had there (But I only perused a few of the hundreds of swaps on there over the years!).
The site normally had 4-6 swaps going on at the same time ALL the time. Had some great hosts!

Kim

Back