Partridge hooks

F

fisherboy3

I recently bought the partridge klinkhammer extreme hooks. I specifically bought them to tie those small olive emergers that we see the delaware trout sucking down in the fall. I noticed they are super thin. I broke one in the vice already. Anyone ever deal with these? I highly doubt theyll hold up to a 20" brown. Let me know your thoughts.
Kev

Don't know how recently you bought your hooks.
But I just received a new Feathercraft catalog. And noticed that they're selling Partridge Hooks that they claim are being made in England again. ( Recently, their hooks were being produced in Asia)
I do know that the ones I used to get years ago - that were made in England - were of very good quality.
I've never tried the Asian made ones. But I would think that the change back to the original production site should be a plus.

I like the Daiichi Klinkhammer hook.

As for Partridge hooks, I just ordered a pack the other day. I noticed on the back it said "packaged in England." So I imagine they were not made in England.

Tioga -

That's interesting.
From the catalog - "Partridge has moved their production back to England, and are once again offering a fine line of premium, chemically sharpened hooks"

That sounds to me like they're being made there now - and the quality has improved. But who knows, I guess

Pretty sure mine said packaged in England. I will look again tonight. I only gave them a quick glance last night.

I ordered the SLD2 dry fly hook. I ordered it in a size 18. Let's just say they seem to run small.

Well does anyone have experience fishing them? Im not so sure i trust them fishing to big wild fish, they feel flimsy to me.

I have tied flies on the hooks you referenced. They hold up well to smaller fish. I have never hooked anything I would consider large on them.

Sorry about inadvertently hijacking your thread.

Here is the package of hooks.

Attachments

• IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 3
I've used them. The klinkhamer hooks suck in my opinion especially the smaller ones. Tie the same pattern on a scud hook or TMC 2488 type hook. The partridge hooks don't hook or hold on to fish well and when they do they bend or break on larger fish. Larger sizes like 12 or bigger are ok. The daichi and orvis klinkhamer hooks are thicker but I stopped using them. The fine and dry hooks are the same way, too thin. The partridge Barbless Czech nymph hooks are really nice though, you might be able to tie a klinkhamer with them.

Back