PAFlyfish Jamboree 2007 Now Hear This!

Yup. That's them. Or damned close to it. I've spent many a June evening casting to trout that I thought were feeding on Sulphers and/or midges that wouldn't take a danged thing until I discovered the Black Quill one night. After that, the feeshin' got a whole lot easier. :)

Sheesh. Now I'm given out my secrets and ain't even gettin paid for it. What's this world comin to anyways? :-o

Hi,

Considering two things - (1) I'm not getting any younger, more mobile or interested in tent camping, (2) To date, I've attended every Jamboree and thoroughly enjoyed each one. However, because of thr above, I was considering not attempting it this year. Then, as a result of some casual conversation with Chaz, he kindly offered to provide transportation and a cot in a cabin at a club which he recently joined in the area. Therefore, as far as I know now, I'll (we'll) be there from sometime Friday through Sunday. Thanks, Chaz - I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Jack Steel

Jack, I'm glad to hear you will make it. You would have been missed, otherwise. Thanks, Chaz. I'll stop picking on you over wild trout now for a couple days.

I'll be leaving from Glenside on Friday. I drive a small pickup, and would be happy to take one passenger and any extra cargo.

Ian brings up a good point,

I found out Paul will not be coming, I am coming from York, I would be willing/eager to share the ride with someone. I plan to bring my Caravan and can take a passenger or two, provided it is not too far out of the way as a means of splitting gas and conversation.

I plan to come on Thursday and stay until Sunday, Monday or Tuesday depending ont he fishing success.

Anyone game for riding with me to the Jam?

Maurice

How may of you are bringing your wife?

As it turns out, there is a slim chance I will make it over, and am trying to decide whether or not to bring her along. I don't really want to leave her behind, but things get a whole lot more complicated if she does come along.

I'm not saying i will definitely make it. I'm just looking at options.

I don't believe I have ever seen a wife at the Jam. That's not to say she wouldn't be welcome. Just keep in mind that Seth said he's coming which could be touchy if she has sensitive ears. Although I am guessing that you might have a chance at being able to suggest he tone it down a bit. :p

We've had plenty of wives...one even became that way at the First one. There was Shelby (new wife to Jeff F, married at the Jam), Gene C's wife spent the weekend with us...and then there's Lorraine, Jack Steels Wife. I really enjoyed "Rainy". She really had a way of bring a smile to your face in conversation.

Bring her along Dave...

BTW all Jamboree goers...

I talked to Sylvia at Kenshire Kampsites and she said she only got 4 reservations so far. Iffin' ya think yer gonna make it, give her a call so'ins we kin git dat dere open field 'round da pervil 'yun.

Seriously, although last minute reservations are OK, we cannot all wait til the last minute. (who am I kiddin, we're flyfishermen)...anyway, I sent my deposit in yesterday.

Also, BTW, This is probably one of the most "non-Fisherperson-friendly" Jams so far. I have extended invites to a few novice and non-flyfishermen who do not visit the board. They may bike, hike or canoe/raft the gorge. So there could be someone for significant others to pal around with. Just a thought.

Just waitin' to see if a friend can be at his cabin in the area that weekend without getting pushy about it. Guess I'll risk it and make the reservation.
That and I was hoping Fesstus' sweet mama neighbor might have some room for the weekend in exchange for a little grass cuttin', wood choppin', and pipe cleanin'?
I likes'em BIG!

I likes'em BIG!

Judgin by the size of the fish in the pictures you've been sending me, I kinda had that figured out already. :-D

I believe my fiance' will be floatin around. Ya's can cuss all ya want. She'll make ya's look like amateurs. :lol: And don't be givin' the old girl no silly idears about gittin married at the 07 Jam. Ol' Festus don't need to be hearin' about none of that nonsense.

Here's some info for those of you wondering about water levels and watercraft. Pine Creek Outfitters had to cancel all float trips for yesterday and today because the water levels dropped so quickly. Best take a look at the current stream level charts and mark down the figures so ya's can have a good idea of what is in store for the Jam weekend.

Now....I'm headin back yonder to the fireplace to thaw out my feet cause I about froze them off fishing in the Pine today. Danged water is cold. :-x

But if we don't get some water, the barbarians shall have a slaughter on Saturday and Sunday. :-(

>>Aren't they usually gone by June? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just surprised. I also thought they were bigger than that...like 12-14.>>

I'm thinking maybe the Black Quill moniker threw you off a bit, Tom.

I 'll bet the flies Festus is talking about aren't Lephophlebia (or however you spell it) or the summer paraleps. My guess is that they are one of those little dark Ephemerellas that come in June some places. I can't remember the right name, but it's like E. Needhami or E. Deficians or something like that.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/550

Hmmm...looks a little pale...man them are big eyes!

Maybe you noticed, maybe not, but troutnut only had photos of the spinners. The duns may well be darker.

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/597

not much...at least in my eyes, not dark enough to use black as an immitation. Kinda looks like a regular old dark Hendrickson. Not even as dark as a March Brown...which some out west used to call Big Black Quills.

Looks like you are correct. Here's a photo by Thomas Ames, hope he doesn't mind my using it for educational purposes:

needhami.jpg

That's a Gray Drake...according the website that posted the pic anyway...

Heck. Ya's got ol' Festus all flustered. I say do it the easy way like ol' Festus does.....just tie up a heap 'o Black Quills just to be on the safe side.

Back