PAFlyfish Jamboree 2007 Now Hear This!

beadhead wrote:
I've made my reservations and I'm looking forward to this. With so many streams to pick from, do you mostly stick with Pine, Slate and Cedar?

Of course, that is up to you, but as you say, there are so many to choose from. Last time we had one up there, I also hit Young Woman's Creek, Little Pine, and Hyner Run.

This time, we are further north, and I think there will be better options for creeks as yet unmentioned. I am looking forward to see how forthcoming the locals will be with their secrets. :lol:

I won't know until closer to the time, but I'm gonna try to at least get up there by Saturday night. I'll probably be staying until Monday afternoon, but if the jam breaks up I'll probably head down the valley a bit to stay either in Blackwell or Slate Run on Sunday night. I've never been to a jam before, and I am looking forward to it.

Boyer

I've got a sneaky notion that not to many of you varmints are gonna wanna get to far away from the Pine. :-D

Festus wrote:
I've got a sneaky notion that not to many of you varmints are gonna wanna get to far away from the Pine. :-D

That may suffice for the message board, but I believe if we can pump you with sufficient amounts of booze at the firerings we will get something a bit more intriguing than "the Pine."

Festus wrote:

Would that reason happen to rhyme with Green Drake?

Boyer

Ol Festus never imbibes. :-D :-D :-D

My current plans are to show up either late Fri or early Sat and I will be staying a few weekdays into next week, leaving early Wed. if I can pull it off. Is anyone else staying late? I am looking to float the canyon, if anyone else is interested, please let me know.

beeber

Beeber, I have a few things to nail down yet, but I might be up for the canyon float. I've wanted to float the upper canyon for years but haven't gotten around to it. I also know some great spots that are pretty much canoe or bike accessable only in the lower canyon, which is why I might go lower after the jam. I should know pretty soon, so I'll keep you posted.

Boyer

Matt,

I am with you if you decide to float. I was also interested in floating below Blackwell too. It would be cool to fish/float by where Slate and Cedar dump in. Looks like there's plenty of access too, at least according to "Keystone Canoeing".

beeber

My only snag with the float plan is that I currently don't own a canoe. I was thinking we could rent one from one of the outfitters up there. There's an outfitter down by Waterville (maybe lower, I have to check) that has shuttle service for canoe rental. I know that from Cedar to the bottom of the Slate Run DHALO is about 6 hrs w/o fishing that time of year, but that is drift time, and with a paddle you could really whittle it down, then stop to fish. I would go so far as to say I am very familiar with this stretch of creek. I know it almost as well as I do my local streams. Both streams enter the creek at fairly lackluster locations, though. Cedar is at a campground(petticoat junction), and Slate is across the creek from a PFBC launch site. It;s still pretty, but I would recommend putting in at one and taking out at the other. The Hotel Manor makes some righteous burgers, so it'll be hard to get me to drift past it, but there's some good fishing to be had below it. Aww man, you got me so exited I'm rambling! I gotta go enjoy the next couple hours between storms. Heading to Clarks. Talk to ya soon.

Boyer

I put in for off on those days. Wether I get them or not is not in stone yet. Fesstus, if you say Pines the place to fish, then I probably wont stray. I remember some of the trout you got last year at about the same time outta there. Mighty nice fish to be caught on a dry fly. I have a canoe if you think I should bring it.

I have a canoe if you think I should bring it.

Only if'n it's filled with beer and bikini clad wimmin. :-D

Seriously, the best bet would be to wait until we see what the streamflow looks like the week before. I'll make a final report after Memorial Day.

BTW...there is a canoe rental outfit in Ansonia. Link below.

http://www.pinecrk.com/

I made arrangements for a camper to be set up near the pavillion for myself, Gino, Brandon and Santino for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Tentatively, we plan to travel up Friday afternoon. If we get on the road soon enough, we may come straight in to camp and fish the evening hatch near camp. On the other hand, if we get a late start, we may be looking for a place to fish the last hour or two of daylight in or around Emporium.

Which brings me to my question:

Where would we be likely to find an active hatch or spinner fall from about St. Mary's to Emporium without having to depart very far from our intended travel route along Rte. 120?

Personally i would get to Renovo and Fish Young Womans Creek in the Fly-Fishing only Section, i bet you won't be disappointed its a beautiful stream at anytime of the year!!

Mapquest had a nice arial view of the campground:

KENSHIR.JPG

Jack,

As you come into Emporium from St. Mary's on route 120 you cross the Driftwood Branch of the Sinnemahoning just as you enter the town of Emporium. Route 120 is the lower boundary of a 1.4 mile long C&R FFO section on the Driftwood Branch. Best access is probaly from Tannery Heights Road, just on the St. Mary's side of the creek.

There's always Sinnemahoning Portage Creek just on the other side of Emporium. Watch out for stray trains carying oven cleaner here...

Hey what is the earliest some of you are planning on showing up?

Paul and I should be there Mid Day Thursday

Maurice

#16 #18 Black Quills.....don't leave home without 'em. I'm serious to. :-o

Like this?

Black Quill

Aren't they usually gone by June? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just surprised. I also thought they were bigger than that...like 12-14.

Back