Orvis Silver Sonic waders vs the competition?

I should have called Orvis, I am on my second year with them and they have been leaking since the first. I just deal with a wet crotch but I don't think two years later they would be replaceable.

Simms are expensive and I would need them to last 5 years with no problems for them to be worth it and I just don't see that happening.

Breaking out the shoe-goo and going over the seams on mine before the winter really gets here... Year #3 here I come. If they last this year with my repairs I will be happy.

Spend the money and buy SIMMS. I am working on year #7 with my Simms "Headwaters" waisthighs. They are worn for sure but have NEVER leaked. Even if they start leaking tomorrow I got my moneys worth out of them. CHEAP waders do not last PERIOD!

I'm currently in a pair of Silver Sonics that are just about 2 years old. I manage around 75-100 days on the water a year, but mostly smaller water and spring creeks. When I faceplant, its usually into a lush bed of watercress instead of sharp rocks. One of the booties may have a slight leak now, but other than that, no problems.

I tried a pair of Patagonia Rio Gallegos and Simms G3s on recently, and the G3s will definitely be my next pair of waders. I know quite a few guys who have had them for years with few issues. Plus, they fit great. The Rio Gallegos are huge.

For those who said the the G3s don't breathe well, what are you wearing under them? I wear silkweight long underwear in the summer, and heavier weights as the conditions dictate, and I'm never sweaty or clammy. Just food for thought.

Well, I pulled the trigger on a set of the Silver Sonics about a month back. Ive got a few days worth of fishing on them so far, and Im 100% satisfied with them so far.

allan_s wrote:
I should have called Orvis, I am on my second year with them and they have been leaking since the first. I just deal with a wet crotch but I don't think two years later they would be replaceable.

I spoke with Orvis customer service, and the life expectancy of the Silver Sonics is 4-6 years. I would give them a call and see what they could do for you.

I sprung for the the Simms G4Z's 3 years ago.
No problems the first two years.
Late this year - in september - they developed a small leak in the heel of one of the booties. Since it's on a seam, I decided to send them back to Simms for repair. Still waiting for the evaluation. But I have a feeling that they're gonna charge me to fix them

dryflyguy wrote:
Late this year - in september - they developed a small leak in the heel of one of the booties. Since it's on a seam, I decided to send them back to Simms for repair. Still waiting for the evaluation. But I have a feeling that they're gonna charge me to fix them

Just talked to Simms about my waders yesterday. Told me they have to replace the one bootie that's leaking - and that I really should have the other one replaced too, while they're at it. And they want $65 + shipping to do it. (On top of the $23 it cost me to send them to Bozeman)
So, this small leak is going to end up costing me $100 to have repaired.
Now, I know the waders are three years old. But I took very good care of them. Never used them to fish small brushy streams - or poked any kind of hole in them.
I hose then off well after every outing, and hang them up until they're fully dry.
I really doubt that I did anything to cause that seam leak in the bootie.
I've heard many people talk about how well Simms stands behind their products. But I'm not so sure about that

they stand behind everything, just after the 65 bucks they charge you to fix them. I have a friend that had a 2 year old pair of simms, and he sent them back 2 or 3 times to repair small leaks. after the 3rd time, they said they will not repair them anymore

First...it's hard to beat Simms. But you pay for it! Enough said.

I have three years on Orvis SS convertible tops. I beat the hell out of them and they have not failed me. Bone dry and comfortable. Bushwacking, in and out of boats, falling on rocks...you name it and they have withstood the abuse. The convertible top is nice on days that become a little to warm and just as comfortable as the pant waders I have.

Wouldn't think twice on buying them again. If you have the 20% off, that's an added plus to go w the Orvis pair.

FW

I had my original guide booties replaced in 2008, I am still putting the days on them 7 years later. I would pay and have them replaced and be more careful putting them on and off. I purchased these back in 2004.
One of the best fishing purchases I ever made.

11+years on them to date

well over 400 days fishing.

Wore out 2 pairs of boots on my 3erd. Have a new pair in back up that I purchased 6 years ago in reserve.

dryflyguy wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

Just talked to Simms about my waders yesterday. Told me they have to replace the one bootie that's leaking - and that I really should have the other one replaced too, while they're at it. And they want $65 + shipping to do it. (On top of the $23 it cost me to send them to Bozeman)
Now, I know the waders are three years old. But I took very good care of them. Never used them to fish small brushy streams - or poked any kind of hole in them.
I hose then off well after every outing, and hang them up until they're fully dry.
I've heard many people talk about how well Simms stands behind their products. But I'm not so sure about that

PS what size are they?

CRB wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

PS what size are they?

Uh - large regular?

CRB wrote:
too small for me. I would fix them and sell them use $ for a new pair.

I was wondering what you were getting at.
I'm not gonna sell them. They retail now for $800 ( But I didn't - and wouldn't - pay near that amount for them 3 years ago.) With another $100 into them I figure (hope) that they should last another 2-3 years now.
My gripe is that I honestly feel that I didn't do anything to make these waders leak. And that something that expensive should still have some warranty.
I'm kicking myself now for not trying to repair them myself first. It wouldn't have hurt to tried - Simms ended up replacing both booties anyway

dryflyguy wrote:
CRB wrote:
too small for me. I would fix them and sell them use $ for a new pair.

I was wondering what you were getting at.
I'm not gonna sell them. They retail now for $800 ( But I didn't - and wouldn't - pay near that amount for them 3 years ago.) With another $100 into them I figure (hope) that they should last another 2-3 years now.
My gripe is that I honestly feel that I didn't do anything to make these waders leak. And that something that expensive should still have some warranty.
I'm kicking myself now for not trying to repair them myself first. It wouldn't have hurt to tried - Simms ended up replacing both booties anyway

I've heard that if you try to fix the booties seam and send them back they won't fix them at all...

But I've also heard that once they fix the booty seams you can count on them being like new.

Good luck with them Bill.

Back