Old Rod and Reel

jay348

jay348

While visiting my parents this weekend, I came across one of the rods I learned to ff with. I believe it was handed down to me from a family friend, and once I upgraded and bought a new trout rod, I kinda forgot about this older one. I took a closer look at it yesterday and was curious about the gear.

The rod is a fiberglass St. Croix Carboloy (type of guides?) 7090 XL (8' 7 wt), and the reel is a Shakespeare Beaudex.

Didn't have a camera with me but I found these pics of the reel online:
DSCF2303.jpg

DSCF2305.jpg

Aside from the pics, I couldn't find much much info online and was curious if any of you have owned or know anything about either.

Jay,
did you bring the reel home?take it out and wet a line brings back good mojo.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Dear jay,

That Beaudex is a nice click and pawl reel made by JW Young in England. Most were reversible to left hand wind although some were not. If your reel is in good condition and you no longer need it it's worth about $ 20.00 to $ 40.00, similar to what the corresponding Pflueger reel would be worth.

I have the Speedex Multiplier version of that reel that I use on fiberglass and bamboo 7 weight rods that I own and I like it a lot. It's a rather light reel given the time it was made and looks nice and works well on those rods.

Clean it up and use!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

hey thanks for the info. i didn't bring it with me and i'm already kicking myself; but its only an hour or so away so i'll pick it up next time i'm in the area.

if anything i think the reel just needs a good cleaning and possibly a new line..looked a little worn/cracked. still seemed to be in good shape otherwise. plus, i don't already have a 7wt!

Dear Jay,

The only thing I want to add is that some of the JW Young reels had a rather small, read short and narrow, reel foot. It may not fit on some rods whether they are older vintage rods or newer rods.

In that regard it's kind of the anti-Pflueger since the Pflueger reel foot is often too large to fit on newer rods. If you want to, check out "One Pfoot", just google it.

He makes reel feet for both the Pflueger and JW Young reels although I've seen on other message boards that the owner of the company is somewhat ill and hasn't been producing much product lately.

There are some other on-line sellers that have the parts in stock though.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back