Okuma Helios fly reel

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

Does anyone use an Okuma Helios reel? It had some really good reviews last year. (This is one of them.) However, it seems to have disappeared from the Okuma product lineup. I sent Okuma a note asking them if that is the case and why after all the good reviews did they drop it. I haven't heard back yet.

You can still buy one from dealers/Amazon/retail but it puzzling that Okuma dropped it after all the good talk about it.

I have on in a 5-6 weight. It is a nice reel, but I do not like the drag on mine. It is smooth, but it won't stay one setting after use. The drag knob on mine seems to loosen up and almost go to a free spool after I use it for a while. I tried to tighten/loosen the screw and nothing seems to change that it will not lock into a preferred drag setting. I use it very infrequently these days because of that. It may just be my reel, but I would still test that out on your own if you can or see if others have the same issues. I never took it apart to see what may have failed.

I heard from Okuma and they only said, "Yes, it is not being manufactured any longer." The guy added that he understands there are some great deals on E bay. I took a quick look and there are no "great deals." People are trying to sell them for what you can still buy one for on Amazon and even more. I guess they think they are rare now. (E Bay has become a strange market.)

I had also written Fish USA which, by the way, is in Erie, and they said it was discontinued in July 2015 and they don't have any left in stock.

I see that an Orvis Access mid-arbor is about $50 less in the same size as the Okuma. It's probably a better reel although that is just a guess from a neophyte based on reviews.

Back