Niche fly fishing, anyone else?

I get bored with fishing any one stream too often, and like to try new places. Sometimes new sgl additions or state forest lands are an opportunity. As scarce points out, can always plan on visiting another stream in area or on way back. If a stream seems like a good chance of having trout, but dont catch or see any, can to figure out why. For ex., a very small stream may be less likely to have trout if there is some barrier (a culvert in any stream, or an underground section in a remote stream) at its lower elevation. Maybe trout get wiped out above barrier in drought and cant repopulate? Even if some tiny streams don't lead to trout, online maps sometimes suggest that they should be an interesting place to hike in to.

Currently looking at very steep stream in what as far as I can tell is a really nice hemlock ravine but has probably impassable culverts down low... close to another place I want to fish, should be a nice easy hike if nothing else.

If you hike into the woods and fish an obscure stream and catch no trout. then hike back out, you've still had as good of a day as a hiker.

And if you get some insights on why you didn't catch or see trout, maybe learned about trout fishing as well!

I'm not so sure about the "niche" part of it. Not every pig looks good in lipstick... But I've always been an explorer which is how I learned that there were brook trout in Centerville Feed Mill Run as well as in Hydetown Flats Rest Stop Run.

RLeep2 wrote:
I'm not so sure about the "niche" part of it. Not every pig looks good in lipstick... But I've always been an explorer which is how I learned that there were brook trout in Centerville Feed Mill Run as well as in Hydetown Flats Rest Stop Run.

Spot burn?

>>Spot burn?>>

Probably not. It was 35 years ago and both are up posted up tight now.

I gave both streams their names because they were too inconsequential to have actual names of their own...

k-bob wrote:
And if you get some insights on why you didn't catch or see trout, maybe learned about trout fishing as well!

In stream sections that contain zero trout, you can't catch trout. Even with really good flies, casting technique, etc.

But, I already knew that. :)

Back