Niche fly fishing, anyone else?

F

flyguyfishing

Does anyone else get into fishing niches?

For some reason this year I have been obsessed with old growth forests. Most forests in PA were clear cut in the 1800s; relatively few forest are old. There is more forested land today than then. Huge hemlock trees, some as old as 400-500 years old cool the forest floor in many of these old forests. Many of these old growth forest have streams. I fly fish those. Some are stocked, some have native brookies, while others have wild brown trout. Some have no trout. These forests have a different feel (to me) and are special places that need protected. I enjoy fishing and hiking/exploring them (not all have streams). This year, I've been to about half of those listed for PA in these links.

https://www.oldgrowthforest.net/pennsylvania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_old-growth_forests

In the past, I had a long period (1.5 years or so) when I only fished foam ants. Most streams have dead, standing trees that seem to have lots of ants. Fishing ants under those trees was (at times) productive. Eliminating fly selection focused my attention to approach and mechanics.

Anyone else go through niches while fly fishing?

Pretty cool idea. I did a backpacking trip in Tuscarora SF and went the Natural Hemlocks area, which has some virgin growth.

Definitely worth check out

Tuscarora SF - Natural Hemlocks Area

I have not visited Hemlock Natural Area, but it is on my list!

Thanks!

My niche has been the same since I started this sport 40 years ago:
dry flies to rising fish - preferably larger wild trout.
And I go where I think I have my best chance to find that.

Sure, I have preferences in my surroundings too.
And I'm not real crazy about the noisy trains running constantly along the Little J.
But I'm willing to make do for the quality fishing there

What places have you found in PA with a trout stream flowing through old growth forest?

I am very interested in that "niche". And I'd also be interested in exploring such areas in other eastern states.

My niche fishing is fishing for trout during the trico hatch on a slow moving limestone stream. IMO nothing like landing a decent trout on a 2 or 3 weight fly rod with 6 or 7x tippet and a size 24-26 dry fly!

A close second is fishing terrestrials(ants, beetles, inchworms, grasshoppers etc.) during the summer.

dryflyguy,

I think I remember you on the old FFP board. Have you ever used anything other than a dryfly?

I have strong preference towards dries as well. I rarely use anything but dries on Brooke streams.

troutbert wrote:
What places have you found in PA with a trout stream flowing through old growth forest?

I am very interested in that "niche". And I'd also be interested in exploring such areas in other eastern states.

Hmm..the two links I shared cover most of the old growth areas in PA. Combine those with PA's trout maps. Most old growth forests are in (somewhat) protected lands - public access. State Parks, State Forests, or State Natural Area. Many have steep ravines (not worth it to loggers back in the day) with a stream at the bottom.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
My niche fishing is fishing for trout during the trico hatch on a slow moving limestone stream. IMO nothing like landing a decent trout on a 2 or 3 weight fly rod with 6 or 7x tippet and a size 24-26 dry fly!

A close second is fishing terrestrials(ants, beetles, inchworms, grasshoppers etc.) during the summer.

Good one. You must enjoy frustration. trico fishing can be tough...seems to be a rhythm the fish feed.

flyguyfishing wrote:
dryflyguy,

I think I remember you on the old FFP board. Have you ever used anything other than a dryfly?

I have strong preference towards dries as well. I rarely use anything but dries on Brooke streams.

Yes, I posted on the FFP forum.

I would say I fish dry flies 99% of the time.
But I do carry a few "junk" flies.
And occasionally, when I absolutely can't get a rise to anything, will grudgingly put one on.
Usually only in low clear water, when I can see the fish.

When I can follow the fly, and watch for a take - it's still rather interesting to my short attention span.
But not for long!

My niche for the past 18 months or so has been geographical as well but a little different and definitely obsessive. I've fished a well-known 1.5 mile long section of Penns Creek whenever I could (water temp permitting), hoping to really learn it well. And after 100+ trips I have to a degree, though I'm always learning something new about that stretch. There's a good variety of water which allows me to experiment with different styles of fishing and that's helped when I find myself on other streams. Plus, I think it's one of the more beautiful places around and it's only a 40 minute drive for me, so that doesn't hurt. It's the happiest place on Earth.

One tiny niche for me is catching one (1) rising carp on Tricos each year on the Tulpehocken. I've had to hyperspecialize my gear and techniques compared to my more common tiny fly/very light gear for trouts.

lestrout wrote:
One tiny niche for me is catching one (1) rising carp on Tricos each year on the Tulpehocken. I've had to hyperspecialize my gear and techniques compared to my more common tiny fly/very light gear for trouts.

Been there, done that.
Pretty strange experience, for sure!

Fishing mine drainage streams for trout is an interesting niche.

Sight fishing migrating tarpon on fly.

I think drugs would be cheaper and less distracting...

lestrout wrote:

You may want to consider changing your moniker in the new site to lesCARP!?! :lol:

My niche since August has been coaching my son's CYO and Travel soccer teams....So my new niche will be winter/cold weather fly fishing !!

flyguyfishing wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Hmm..the two links I shared cover most of the old growth areas in PA. Combine those with PA's trout maps. Most old growth forests are in (somewhat) protected lands - public access. State Parks, State Forests, or State Natural Area. Many have steep ravines (not worth it to loggers back in the day) with a stream at the bottom.

I'm thinking in terms of stream sections flowing through old growth (never logged) forest.

If you know of such places, please let me know, by PM if you'd rather not post them on the forum.

My interest in these places has to do with the physical aspects of streams and floodplains more than catching trout.

From what I can tell, such places are extremely rare in PA.

There are streams near old growth areas, but rarely flowing through them.

Dwight, IMO old growth and virgin timber are not exactly synonymous. I view virgin timber as a subset of old growth. If you are looking for trout streams that flow through virgin timber in PA, good luck with that. As you said, extremely rare. I can't think of any. But if you are looking for trout streams that flow through forests with massive hemlocks that have not been harvested in a very long time, those are not as rare.

troutbert wrote:
flyguyfishing wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of stream sections flowing through old growth (never logged) forest.

If you know of such places, please let me know, by PM if you'd rather not post them on the forum.

My interest in these places has to do with the physical aspects of streams and floodplains more than catching trout.

From what I can tell, such places are extremely rare in PA.

There are streams near old growth areas, but rarely flowing through them.

I am an amateur. My new obsession with old growth forests has led to research. Forest forensics is interesting to me.

Since fishing is not your main motivation, Detweiler Run Natural Area is certainly old growth with Detweiler Run running directly through the old growth.

Here is a another link about the area ….
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldtrips/us_east/penna/detweiler_run.htm

This was written by…
Dave Orwig. (I do not know him)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-orwig-31a64041

He earned PhD from Penn State and is now at Harvard. Read his bio.

If these forests were not logged in the 1800s, when would they have been logged?? This is central PA, not many lived there prior 1800.

I mention this old growth because the stream has thick rhododendron - I did not fish it. As the article states, it is rocky and steep. It was fun exploring, but not good for fishing.

A short distance away is Alan Seagar natural area. Again, it is Old growth. One or two small streams flow through the old growth. Standing Stone creek goes through a small patch of old growth. It is listed as stocked, then upstream as natural reproduction. I would agree it is not worthy of class A or B.

Most of the listed areas I have been to seem old growth. There is research online. For example the Seneca section of Cook’s Forest has never been logged but evidence of forest fire in (I think ) 1640. Does a forest fire dating to 1640 make it not virgin growth?? The Seneca area is steep and overlooks the Clarion, but does not have a stream. …so I mention it here

IMO, the exceptions to the lists on the links are (that I have explored):

Ferncliff Peninsula Natural Area - Ohiopyle State Park, seemed to be more really old second growth, but I am not an expert. There is no stream there. Yough runs next to it - around the peninsula.

Carpenter's Woods - Wissahickon Valley Park was urban and had no stream. It seemed more like old second growth.

I agree old growth is rare. I enjoy exploring for a hobby. I especially love it when there is a stream to fly fish. I do think they exist in PA. I believe the are listed in those links.

Researching Orwig’s work might help you find other old growth area with streams on the east coast. Maybe contact him for expert ideas? If his research is an indicator, he loves old growth.

Good luck!

Back