Next step up from cheap fly line?

SleepySheep

Right now, my fly reels are filled with cheap fly line from Piscifun and Maxcatch. As a beginner, they've suited me just fine, but I hear the quality of one's fly fishing can be improved with some good fly line.

What price point am I look at for some "Intermediate Quality" fly line? Can I spend under a hundred bucks and buy fly line that will cast noticeably different from the $25 piscifun line? Does anyone have product recommendations?

Thanks!

Thanks! How long can expect one of these to last?
Dear sleepysheep,

With care you can get years out of a fly line. The biggest problem that ruins fly lines is not watching where you step as you are stripping in line while wade fishing. Steeping on you fly line and grinding it into a rock, or worse yet cutting it with a studded cleat on your wading shoe are common problems.

Other than that periodically check the line for damage and dress it occasionally with a line cleaner dressing like Glide or Loon Outdoors.

I've also bought fly lines from Hook and Hackle.com and Flyshack.com. They sell store branded lines that fish and cast very much like Cortland lines for about $ 45.00 or so.

Regards,

Tim Murphy 🙂

Thanks! How long can expect one of these to last, with regular-to-heavy use?

Honestly it depends on use. I liken it to wading boots, if you fish a lot you'll wear it down quicker. I usually get 18 months out of a fly line on my primary trout set up fishing likely 75 days~ a year.

Proper care and cleaning helps for sure.

I have and still use Rio fly lines that I bought in the early 2000's as well as more than a few SciAngler Mastery lines that are close in age. No single lines gets fished 100 times a year but after 20 years the number of hours on certain lines is quite high.

A couple of things I'm adamant about which may explain the longevity I get:

I clean my lines OFTEN with nothing but plain Ivory Soap & water and treat them with the line dressing recommended by the manufacturer. FWIW - Because I use Rio, Sci Angler, Wulff & real silk lines it means I use FOUR different line dressings.​
No matter how many "experts" make videos extolling the virtues, I never stretch my fly lines if they get twisted or coiled. If necessary, I usually let them hang below me in the current to relax.​
I always take the reel(s) I used last OUT of its/their case(s) when I get home and allow them to dry out overnight at minimum. Often for days if I use other combos.​
I'm very careful about NOT stepping on my fly lines, especially with studded wading shoes. However I have more than a few lines still in rotation with nicks or cuts from carelessness that I repaired with the tube of Loon UV Knot Sense that is always with me.​
I NEVER replace a floating fly line until it starts to sink regularly no matter how old it is, how ugly it has become or how many "micro cracks" I can see in the coating. If it floats, I still use it which may explain why I have 20+ year old lines.​
I make sure long term storage of lines is always in a cool place out of direct sunlight.​

Good lines are worth the money to me because of the performance, float (if it is a floating line), suppleness and lifespan.

I also know the money I spend on other fishing consumables EACH OUTING like gas, cigars, whisky & craft beer, a bit of tippet material and a few flies is way more than the cost of a good fly line over however long they last for you.

Right now, my fly reels are filled with cheap fly line from Piscifun and Maxcatch. As a beginner, they've suited me just fine, but I hear the quality of one's fly fishing can be improved with some good fly line.

What price point am I look at for some "Intermediate Quality" fly line? Can I spend under a hundred bucks and buy fly line that will cast noticeably different from the $25 piscifun line? Does anyone have product recommendations?

Thanks!

One VERY important thing to consider before you take any recommendations is:

IF you are happy with how the Piscifun & Maxcatch lines load the rods you own and cast the distances you fish, determine the line profile and weight of those lines so you are comparing apples to apples with more expensive fly lines.

For example, if your cheap fly lines are true to weight and more traditional tapers and you choose a fancy line because it is made by SciAngler or Rio and inadvertently choose one that is heavier or more radically tapered...

You may end up with a better line that you like less...

Also, once you dial in what the taper & weight is of what you are using, ask for specific quality fly line recommendations based on that information AND the rod you are using.

Keep in mind just because somebody loves a certain line on their rod doesn't mean you will love the SAME line on YOUR rods.

Good luck!!

Wait for year end sales or blow out sales, look at sierra trading post or a variety of other sites (MRFC, mad river, tco, etc) and likely find one for sale when available.

I recommend SA lines.

Thanks for the replies everyone! This is my takeaway summary:

Potential intermediate fly lines to check out are Cortland 444 (~$70), SA Mastery ($40), lines from SA or RIO at the $70 price point, or HookandHackle.com/Flyshack.com house brands ($45).

Any two lines are probably only directly comparable if they have the same true weight and profile. I'll have to have a feel for what qualities in a line pair well with any particular rod, which I guess I can only know by trying different lines on a rod and figuring out what works for me.

I can extend the life of a fly line for possibly a very long time by being physically gentle with it, regular cleaning with ivory soap and water, allowing the line to dry, storing it out of the sun, and occasionally dressing the line with Glide or Loon Outdoors. I can repair nicks in the line with Loon UV Knot Sense.

Am I missing anything?

Hook & Hackle is strictly rod building only. They switched over a few years ago. Sad because their lines, hooks, and feathers were pretty damned good for the prices!

Potential intermediate fly lines to check out are Cortland 444 (~$70), SA Mastery ($40), lines from SA or RIO at the $70 price point, or HookandHackle.com/Flyshack.com house brands ($45).

Any two lines are probably only directly comparable if they have the same true weight and profile. I'll have to have a feel for what qualities in a line pair well with any particular rod, which I guess I can only know by trying different lines on a rod and figuring out what works for me.

I can extend the life of a fly line for possibly a very long time by being physically gentle with it, regular cleaning with ivory soap and water, allowing the line to dry, storing it out of the sun, and occasionally dressing the line with Glide or Loon Outdoors. I can repair nicks in the line with Loon UV Knot Sense.

Am I missing anything?

I did a little research and the Piscifun line is a true-to-weight regular WF so any comparable true-to-weight regular WF by Cortland, Rio or SciAngler is a comparable upgrade on your rod that likes that line.

HOWEVER - The closest taper to the Piscifun line from SciAngler is the less expensive "Frequency Trout." In Rio lines it's the less expensive "Mainstream Trout WF" and the "444 Peach" from Cortland.

The more expensive options from all three are compound tapers. That doesn't mean you won't like them, they are just different from what you are used to so you may have to try before you buy.

In regards to Maxcatch lines, there are MANY different options from compound tapers to heavier lines so it depends on WHICH Maxcatch line you like before you can accurately compare.

Finally, let the brand line you choose determine the dressing you choose. All three manufacturers have their own version of line dressing and I'd use what THEY recommend not a generic line dressing.

Good luck!!

I did a little research and the Piscifun line is a true-to-weight regular WF so any comparable true-to-weight regular WF by Cortland, Rio or SciAngler is a comparable upgrade on your rod that likes that line.

HOWEVER - The closest taper to the Piscifun line from SciAngler is the less expensive "Frequency Trout." In Rio lines it's the less expensive "Mainstream Trout WF" and the "444 Peach" from Cortland.

The more expensive options from all three are compound tapers. That doesn't mean you won't like them, they are just different from what you are used to so you may have to try before you buy.

In regards to Maxcatch lines, there are MANY different options from compound tapers to heavier lines so it depends on WHICH Maxcatch line you like before you can accurately compare.

Finally, let the brand line you choose determine the dressing you choose. All three manufacturers have their own version of line dressing and I'd use what THEY recommend not a generic line dressing.

Good luck!!
That's awfully nice of you to do those comparisons for me! Thank you very much, Bamboozle. I guess when it comes time to buy a new line, I'll have to come back and refer to this particular post! I'll probably wait until one of my fly lines starts to get long in the tooth before I end up buying a new line but who knows... maybe I'll wind up with a new reel that needs one.

So you want to spend more money on something that already seems to be working just fine for no other reason then someone saying your quality of fly fishing will be increased by spending more money. I’d tell the enlighten sole who told you this to get back in his ivory tower and leave me alone. Trust me when I say you will not enjoy fly fishing anymore by spending more money.

Except that ~$40 price range on the SA represents a pretty big discount. You are not going to get a comparable line from an H&H (made by Cortland) or Flyshack or anywhere else at $45 regular price.

Mastery lines are in the $70+ when bought at full price.

Back