Next step up from cheap fly line?

With so many in agreement, I'll probably make SA Mastery the next line I try. Anyway, if it's good enough for Nymph it's good enough for me :p

I have never used SA Mastery, but I have been pleased with other SA Air Cel in the past, and that is even cheaper than Mastery.

My last several fly lines have been Cortland Peach 444. I like the Peach, what can I say? I think Peach is a good casting line, handles well, etc, but on my last Peach (the one I am currently still using) my tip is sinking. I don't like that.

But yeah, I like the Peach.

And zero love for airflo which makes some fantastic lines

I have never used SA Mastery, but I have been pleased with other SA Air Cel in the past, and that is even cheaper than Mastery.
The best casting line I ever had was an olive colored WF4F Scientific Anglers line I got at Walmart for $15 (That was regular retail price!!!!). It wasn't even the Air Cell model, it just came in a generic looking box marked Scientific Anglers. Coincidentally, some of the worst lines I ever used were the cheap Cortland Fairplay lines Walmart always had which weren't even as cheap as that SA. Those lines collected dirt like a magnet and just deteriorated unbelievably quickly. Just another example of how bad budget/entry level gear was 20+ years ago I suppose.

Speaking of Air Cell, International Angler had a pile of lines on sale at the Cabin Fever show in Cranberry this past winter. I snagged an Air Cell for $20 and some other SA line for $30.

The best casting line I ever had was an olive colored WF4F Scientific Anglers line I got at Walmart for $15 (That was regular retail price!!!!). It wasn't even the Air Cell model, it just came in a generic looking box marked Scientific Anglers. Coincidentally, some of the worst lines I ever used were the cheap Cortland Fairplay lines Walmart always had which weren't even as cheap as that SA. Those lines collected dirt like a magnet and just deteriorated unbelievably quickly. Just another example of how bad budget/entry level gear was 20+ years ago I suppose.

Speaking of Air Cell, International Angler had a pile of lines on sale at the Cabin Fever show in Cranberry this past winter. I snagged an Air Cell for $20 and some other SA line for $30.
I have been using Cortland Fairplay for years on my bass rod. The older orange model sucked, but the greenish/blue version they sell now is solid for under $20.

Back