New Breathables Suggestions Please

I'm just a Simms advocate all the way, save up grab a pair of G3's and you'll never have to worry about another pair of waders again

For the Simms guys…are those things indestructible? I’ve looked at them, and they do seem very nice and well built, but I’ve never owned a pair. I’ve always treated waders as a consumable. I’ve basically found on average you get about 1 year of leak free performance for every $100 you spend. It’s then up to you as to how long you repair and nurse them along dealing with leaks before popping for a new pair. I typically have gone the cheap route, in part so that I don’t get too attached or economically invested in a pair, and feel the need to spend too much time and effort on dealing with repairing them. When they start to leak too bad, throw em’ out and buy another $100 pair.

I’ve gotten about 1 year plus or minus a few months out of the typical $100 Cabelas or BPS house line jobs. The last pair of chest highs I bought was a pair of Bean Kennebec’s (normally $200, although I got them on a sale at $150). I’m at about 2 years leak free on those, and have been very happy with them. Admittedly though, in that time I also bought a pair of WJ waist highs off of STP that I’ve been using on some of my warmer weather Brookie outings, so that’s saved the Beans a little bit from some of the harder miles.

The math is clear though…

$100 BPS/Cabelas / 1 year leak free = $100/year
$200 Bean Kennebec’s / 2 years leak free = $100/year – So far…The Beans may ultimately prove to beat this average.

I’d need to get about 4 or 5 years out of a pair of the higher end USA made Simms to break even in the long run, or 5+ to come out ahead. Is that realistic to expect when using them as a primary wader for both bigger streams, and the brush busting and seem stretching climbing while Brookie fishing? There’s no doubt in my mind they’re better, but how much better?

Swattie87 wrote:
For the Simms guys…are those things indestructible? I’ve looked at them, and they do seem very nice and well built, but I’ve never owned a pair. I’ve always treated waders as a consumable. I’ve basically found on average you get about 1 year of leak free performance for every $100 you spend. It’s then up to you as to how long you repair and nurse them along dealing with leaks before popping for a new pair. I typically have gone the cheap route, in part so that I don’t get too attached or economically invested in a pair, and feel the need to spend too much time and effort on repairing them. When they start to leak too bad, throw em’ out and buy another $100 pair.

I’ve gotten about 1 year plus or minus a few months out of the typical $100 Cabelas or BPS house line jobs. The last pair of chest highs I bought was a pair of Bean Kennebec’s (normally $200, although I got them on a sale at $150). I’m at about 2 years leak free on those, and have been very happy with them. Admittedly though, in that time I also bought a pair of WJ waist highs off of STP that I’ve been using on some of my warmer weather Brookie outings, so that’s saved the Beans a little bit from some of the harder miles.

The math is clear though…

$100 BPS/Cabelas / 1 year leak free = $100/year
$200 Bean Kennebec’s / 2 years leak free = $100/year – So far…The Beans may ultimately prove to beat this average.

I’d need to get about 4 or 5 years out of a pair of the higher end USA made Simms to break even in the long run, or 5+ to come out ahead. Is that realistic to expect when using them as a primary wader for both bigger streams, and the brush busting and seem stretching climbing while Brookie fishing? There’s no doubt in my mind they’re better, but how much better?

I guess my G3s are on their 6th year and I have yet to send them for repairs

I wouldn't say Simms are indestructible. I have 2 years on my G3s and 4 years on my G4s. I rotate them and they are both in good shape, but I've sent both in for repairs.

I sent them both in for repairs because of Simms' repair policy that basically allowed me to have Simms make them like new again for free. I could have used the waders for years with the minor issues they had (pinholes from hooks getting stuck in them, broken zippers, etc.)

In the past I have used breathable waders from ****s and Gander Mountain (don't remember the brands, about $100-$150), Orvis Silver Label breathable, Orvis Pro Guide breathables, William Joseph Drynamic x2. I averaged about 1.5 seasons in all of those waders before they were completely shot. None of them came close to Simms in terms of quality. I have never used Patagonia, so I can't speak positively or negatively for them.

Good info guys.

Moon - Your experience seems similar to mine with the cheaper end stuff.

I certainly can't knock the spend more for the Simms theory because I've never tried it. And I may someday, especially if I can get a pair on sale somehow.

If the Beans make it to year 3 leak free (or at least well into year 2), I'll buy another pair of those when the time comes. I'd even keep an eye out for when the current Kennebec's get redone and the outgoing model goes on sale and order a new pair in advance of needing them perhaps.

I've tried almost every brand of wader out there - Orvis, Hodgman, Bean, WJ, Redington,Cabelas. And I don't think I got a full season of use - without any leaks - from any of them.
I finally sprung for Simms Z4's. And they are now on season #3 with no problems.
And I bought the Simms headwaters last winter for backup - and use in streams with invasives. And am quite happy with both pair.

I know that that most of the wader manufacturers stand behind their waders with nice warranties.
However, getting them replaced can be quite inconvenient at times
If your on a trip out west, and they spring a leak, you're hosed (I've had that happen)
And if you're fishing early or late in the season - sometimes in frigid water temps then - leaky waders can ruin a trip quickly.

My fishing time is valuable to me. And it's nice to have waders that can be counted on to keep me dry

What size Kennebec's do you need? I have been using the new http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85777?feat=sr&term=ultralight+waders

and have been really happy with them.

beerbyrnes wrote:
What size Kennebec's do you need? I have been using the new http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/85777?feat=sr&term=ultralight+waders

and have been really happy with them.

Body wise a large fits me best, foot wise extra large is the best recommendation. I just ordered a pair of the Bean Emergers in large. I have looked at those Bean Ultralight waders. I'm assuming they'd be good for backpacking so I may have to grab a pair at some point. I'm still going to get some Kennebec waders later on during the winter.

bit dated but some good info here....

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

I too used to have the mindset that multiple pairs of cheeper waders were the way to go. I will never go back. Simms Goretex waders are far above. From a dollar per trip perspective, its about a wash, may be slight advantage G3. But I also found G3s more comfortable and breathable.I really like the flip out tippet tender pouch and retractor.
durability- its all about the booties. I haven't come across a brand that has as high of a quality.
I did return my first pair after 4.5 years to have the bootfoots replaced because it developed a leak where the neoprene meets the upper portion. I might have contributed to this because in hindsight, I rolled the gravel guards too high and aggressively sprayed with a hose after each trip- who knows? for a mere 70.00, I got two more years out of them before they wore out between my legs (near crotch). I mention this detail because I bought the waders a size too large. The bagginess and extra fabric between my legs (i can image the jokes that could be generated here!), caused them to rub together and wear too early IMO. So, I guess my point is that it is very important you get the right size. Since Simms (G3 and G4) has such a expansive size selection, get the right size and they will last longer. I got an XL, but my true size was LL (12-13). A lot of guys fit in the L to XL slot because of foot size. LL is perfect

Orvis Silver Sonics. Great waders for under $300.00

I was looking at the Orvis Encounter waders and thinking of giving them a try, but I did buy the Bean's. I'm buying another pair shortly to have spares or for someone to borrow if need be, but I'll still probably hold out for those Bean Kennebec waders. The Orvis Encounters don't look bad for the money though. I wasn't considering the Silver Sonics but maybe I'll have to.

You'll be happy with the Kennebec's. The ultralights are not actually that light in material. They cut down on the belt and also the shoulder straps to save the weight. I went the opposite of most and went from g3's to bean ultralights. Time will tell what is the best value.

I agree that I don't think ill of those wearing jeans. I have , even though I know better, because I was coming straight from work and forgot to put my wading pants in the car.

I do not agree that jeans are a good idea. The heavy cotton traps the moisture you are trying to avoid. I also find the heavy fabric restrictive. Finally, I've read somewhere that they are not a good idea because they can cause premature wear of the wader. Not sure if that's been proven, but it makes sense to me.

Fogg Toggs Hellbender $99
https://waderusa.com/index.php/waders/chest-waders/frogg-toggs-hellbender-stockingfoot-chest-waders.html

I walk though all sorts of undergrowth with no concern for these waders.

Back