New Breathables Suggestions Please

jifigz

jifigz

I think that I've patched my neoprene booties to their limit and they are once again leaking so I'm in the market for a new pair of breathables. I had the pair picked out that I was going to buy (L.L. Bean Kennebec) but they are backordered until September 21 and I'm not sure that I can wait that long. My max budget is $300 but I'd prefer to stay under $200. I have a few pairs in mind, but what do you think are some of the best "bang for my buck" for breathables at that price range?

Thanks a bunch.

Simms.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Simms.

I am not very familiar with their product lineup, but their USA made lineup is well out of my budget. I'll look at their products though and they may have some imported waders that will fit my budget.

At $200 the Bean Kennebec's are worth waiting for IMO. Not sure you can do better than those for $200.

Maybe nurse the other ones for another month or two? At least it's the warm part of the year.

At $200 the Bean Kennebec's are worth waiting for IMO. Not sure you can do better than those for $200.

Wholeheartedly agree, plus you can factor in Bean's 100% satisfaction. I had an older pair of their waist highs and just swapped them for a new pair of the Kennebec sonic welds after the old ones sprung a leak at the seam between the knees. Did have to pay the difference in price between the old and new models, so for about $30 I got a new pair, and they eliminated the seam I had trouble with..

Orvis Encounters are working real well for me. $169.00

If you are looking to spend under $300 I think the lower end Simms are around there, and I know a few people who have them and really like them

I tried the Simms imports...........no good IMO

I found the Simms headwaters on sale last fall for $250. And I have also seen them recently in several catalogs for around the same price.
USA made of goretex - they're a nice wader for the money

Believe me guys, you don't have to sell me on anything L.L. Bean.....I'm a huge fan of Bean in general and own and use a lot of their gear. Their gear rarely lets me down and I know that if it does Bean will back me up. Their guarantee and customer service is second to none (shouldn't be abused, however.) I really wanted those Kennebecs because they look great for the price, but September 21 is so far away. My current waders are Bean and if I don't wait for the Kennebecs I am looking at the Bean Emerger II and the Cabela's waders. Can't remember what they're called, but they are around $160 and seem to be Cabela's most popular wader.

I know right now that I could send my current pair of Bean waders back towards a new pair and they wouldn't question it one bit, but I'd probably feel a bit guilty. I used them hard. I feel that I got my $99 worth out of them and that I'd be taking advantage of L.L. Bean's guarantee.

The Cabela's waders are simply called "Premium Breathables" with the 4MOST DRY PLUS.

Here is a cheaper pair for $83 bucks. My buddy is just getting into fishing and got a set and wore them one time with no issues.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/allen-co-platte-river-chest-waders-stockingfoot-for-men~p~8315x/?filterString=s~allen-waders%2F&colorFamily=02

I've had a lot of breathable waders from $100 and up. The best bang for my buck was a tie between Siimms G3s and Simms G4s.

Simms, they put the worry out of wading wet, within reason, and put the worry where it deserves, fishing.

If you can, wait for sales during the off season. If not, you can't go wrong with Simms. I've got 9 years on my current set of Rivershed II waders (long since out of production). I average getting out roughly 30 to 40 times a season.

Cabelas Dry Plus. My first pair lasted 9 years without a leak. I'm on my second pair. They are around $150.

Not sure if your budget can handle, but having a backup pair isn't such a bad idea even if they are lesser quality. You can consider purchasing an inexpensive pair and order the LL Beans you want. When the LL Bean's arrive, carefully dry and store the other as a spare.

JackM wrote:
Not sure if your budget can handle, but having a backup pair isn't such a bad idea even if they are lesser quality. You can consider purchasing an inexpensive pair and order the LL Beans you want. When the LL Bean's arrive, carefully dry and store the other as a spare.

I was actually thinking this exact thing JackM. Cabela's has their Bluestream waders right now for a pretty good price and I fish with another forum member that used those for years and liked them. So I may snag those now and wait for the Bean's to be available.

Back