Neat Find in the Attic

thebassman

thebassman

So today I was over at my parents house to let their dog out while they are out of town and decided to go see what was in their attic. I know that they do not store anything up there and I know that they have never really been up there. Well....I let the dog out and go snooping around.

When I poked my head through the hole all I saw was a dust covered American flag and a few random pieces a cardboard box. As I was ready to turn the flashlight off and climb down I noticed a glint of something propped up in the far corner.....upon further inspection I noticed it was a fly rod.

After I got it down and all dusted off I had a Heddon Lifetime Pal 8'6" 8weight. It is actually in nice condition. I looked it up online and found out it is from the 1960's and was listed for $32.95 in their 1966 catalog. I doubt it is worth anything, but it is a cool find and going to make a nice decorative piece for when I finally get my "man cave"!!

FxCam_1312653477555.jpg

Cool!

"Area Tested". What the heck does THAT mean?

I'd fish it. Might make a good bass rod.

Do not make it a decorative piece, it should be used.

I see its rated 7/8, and while its probably pretty heavy its also probably fun to use. Rather than just dropping it in a corner, why not give it a shot? You might be surprised.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/

looks like a perfect steelhead rod to me!!

I just ordered a reel for it. I already have an 8'6" 8 weight, but I might bust this out and give it a whir a few times.

I do not even know where to go for steelhead. Are there any on the eastern side of the state, or is it all up around Erie? I would love to try it out for sure!!

I hear Larissa is working on getting 'em into the lehigh.

Seriously, though, there's transplanted lake-run steelhead in Erie, NY, and OH.

... go swing some streamers with Ramcatt on the Catt. He is always looking for a partner :)

I took out the rod today. I liked it!

IMG_8900.jpg

VERY nice. Some things were just meant to be....

bikerfish wrote:
I agree. I have an old Heddon Pal 8'6" 8 weight. I plan to use it for Steelhead. I think it would work just fine. I bought a Medalist 1495 reel for it so it would look "Period".

I bought a Medalist 1495 reel for it so it would look "Period".

Thats exactly what I did too. Medalist 1495 1/2 CJ

I love Fiberglass! Fish with it some more and you may see what I'm talking about!

Yeah dude FISH IT! Some dude gave me a Heddon reel (4/5) and a 6.5' Berkley Parametric Delux rod. I freaking LOVE it! Just gotta get silk line for it yet.

Back