My Trip to Idaho

Still looks like a wild rainbow...no one can stock a fish that looks like that...

Looks like a cutbow, a young one of course, it still has parr marks.

It's been many years since I fished the Lochsa. It's a wonderful river, and I had a great time. I also enjoyed visiting the historic ranger station; it was worth the time and effort.

A friend and I also fished The St. Joe River, Kelly Creek, Cayuse Creek, Moose Creek. Man, I've got to get back there.

Cimarron Red

Its definitely not a Cutbow. Cutbows have the slash of a cutt on thier jaw but it is usually much lighter and a more yellowish orange color. I'm pertty sure it is a young Rainbow. I saw many last year when I was in Idaho that looked like these. I saw parr marks on some up to 8 inches. Just depends on when they mature I think.

If you see par marks on them over 8 and as much as 12 inches..you can bet they are actually steelhead.

Thats possible. I did know the way to tell rainbows from steelhead when they where very young but i have since forgot. I'll try and look it up. The ones I caught with parr marks were definitely rainbows, redbands to be exact. No steelhead left where I was at, quite sad.

SlumpBuster,

I hear what you're saying, but it looks like that fish does have a hint of a pale-orange slash mark on its lower jaw.

Cimarron Red

this is a cuttbow. ugly things and nasty for native fish. idaho game and fish told us to throw everyone we electrofished on the bank. Didn't know why they were going to rotenoe the stream the following year. Shame though I caught my biggest cutt and brookie out of this stream.

WMass and others

every fall, late Sept-Oct, FAOL has a FishIn based right there in Lowell, where the Selway and Lochsa combine to form the Clearwater. This is the optimum time to ffish the October Caddis, which is about the size of a Western Salmon Fly. After a summer of midging and Tricoing and anting here in PA, it's a relief to use 4-6wts instead of 0-3 wts, and 5 or 6X instead of 7-12X, and actually cast flies you can actually see.

As WMass noted, the waters are gin clear - maybe even vodka clear. The West Slope cutts move up into the entirety of the rivers after the summer heat leaves, and a lot of the ffishing is by sight. It's a hoot to watch a cutt come up several feet through the water to slam a #6 October Caddis.

This weeklong thang is open to anyone who is ffishing, and there is room at the Three Rivers Lodge.

I fly in through Missoula, which has more virtues than Bozeman with the Bitterroot and Clark Fork (right in town, even), Rock Creek, Blackfoot and others within 30-40 minutes.

tl
les

WMass

one other thing, re timing when to ffish the Lochsa - at least where I ffished the Lochsa (as you know, there's 50-60 miles where the road parallels it), in the fall many of the cutts run into the teens.

tl
les

AWESOME SCENERY< RIVER AND PICTURES

Back