Mounting Flies

P

pmelle

I recently received a few boxes of flies, tying materials, and books From a family member which belonged to his father who passed a few years ago. Fly fishing was a huge part of his dads life and I found two beautiful flies that are too nice too fish and thought it would be a great christmas gift to mount these flies and return them to him, so thats what I'm going to do. Does anyone have any experience mounting flies, where to start, materials, mounting ideas, good places to find good mounts and/or cases. All ideas welcome, thanks!

I'm not the best person to comment about doing artful things. But, I had something similar, and I bought a shadow box that my granddaughter used to mount fly tying tools from a veteran for me. A real craftsman mounted several flies for me in small shadow boxes. I think you can find these boxes in craft stores.

rrt wrote:
I think you can find these boxes in craft stores.

Yes, a Michaels, AC Moore, or Hobby Lobby will have ready made frames, matts and other things you can use.

I frame and mount a fair number of flies. The easiest way would be to get a small photo type frame - maybe in a standard 5x7 inch and simply press the flies between the backing and glass. A bit nicer and more polished look would be to mount the flies in the space created by a matt, or use a shadow box style.
The above stores have trained framers (usually) and if you simply take the flies to them, they can put together a very nice custom display.

In the shadow box, what is used to hold the fly in place?

These start at $13.99

Oak-and-Walnut-Display.jpg

FeathersMc.com

mikephl wrote:
In the shadow box, what is used to hold the fly in place?

When I mount flies flush against a back piece I often poke two tiny holes in the back piece and use a very fine wire loop to secure the fly. The wire is then tied off on the back side of the back piece.

For a shadow box style - that is to say the fly sits up off the back piece - it will depend on the fly. Small ones are tough to mount this way but if you can get some clear plastic you can use Superglue to secure the plastic to both the back piece and the fly body. I cut up clear plastic lids from yogurt containers and similar thing s to get these material.

The man who mounted flies in shadow boxes for me used a toothpick-type piece of wood the same color as the box. He glued a fly to the top, and then glued the base to the bottom of the box.

When my granddaughter mounted the fly tying tools in the larger shadow box, she used velcro to attach the tools to the back, and for one type of tool that continued to slip, she used super glue.

(I could have done none of this. But, if you have crafters in your family, you could appeal to them. Bribe them with a bottle of their favorite?)

With a shadow box you can find a preferred piece of wood, wild or stocked, finish to your preference. Attach said #Wood to the back of shadow box and attach the fly to said #Wood.

When I mount flies in a shadow box, I prefer to use small corks to hook the flies into. I epoxy the corks onto a nice piece of matting and sink the flies in.

Oh I have epoxied small pieces of drift wood to the matting to and hooked the flies randomly in the drift wood. Fine wire may be a better binding material than epoxy in this situation though.

Many moons ago I made a small wall hanger using one of these kits:

http://www.sawdust-stitches.com/flykits/flykits.html

IIRC the kit came with plastic posts about the diameter of a toothpick. I glued the posts to the matting and then the flies to the posts and let it sit for a day or two before finishing out the assembly. Some glues, especially CA type 'super glues' will release fumes for a period of time that can haze the inside of the glass if you seal it up too soon...

Mike Kern- Please check your PM's. Thanks!

Didn't receive anything.

Back