Mayer's Mini Leech

T

tctrout

For those of you that enjoy fly fishing for carp and trout, here's a great (and fast!) pattern. This is one by Landon Mayer meant to imitate smaller leeches.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get ostrich herl that flares more, I would love to know. I have bought a lot over the years, but as you'll see in the video, that's the herl with the largest diameter I have in my materials.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oH5wJDmwkg[/youtube]

TC

after shaft feathers instead of herl. Similar to the head on the Gartside Sparrow.

Thanks for the comment, and I just saw the feathers you were talking about (pheasant) tied on a Gartside pattern. They definitely have more of the look and movement I'm looking for; thanks!

TC

FGSIII wrote:
after shaft feathers instead of herl. Similar to the head on the Gartside Sparrow.

FGSIII wrote:

Tim,

+1 on the aftershaft feathers. I've been tying some Gartside Sparrows this past week. I usually tie the heads with the traditional pheasant aftershaft (philo) feathers which are usually gray or dun colored. In looking for some different color variations I tried some of the aftershaft feathers found on the underside some died olive strung rooster saddles. I have found there to be a lot of variability in these feathers. They are generally not as long as the pheasant philos but seem to be a bit more durable and some have a bit longer and more feathery fibers. If your looking for a particular color, increased movement or breathing of the material on your leech collars, strung saddle aftershaft feathers may be worth a try. You can always trim them to your desired length if they seem to long. I don't think they would lose much action by trimming some of their tips.

Where does one find aftershaft or philo feathers? I have poked around the internet, but I must be using the wrong term, I cannot find any for purchase.

billfrech wrote:
Where does one find aftershaft or philo feathers? I have poked around the internet, but I must be using the wrong term, I cannot find any for purchase.

Do a google search for "aftershaft feather" and click on the images. They are found on the underside of body feathers on gamebirds. Pluck a pheasant back feather off and turn it over. On the underside you will find an aftershaft feather attached to the main feather near the base of the stem. I have never seen them sold seperately where tying materials are sold. I have a small zip lock bag that I put all aftershaft feathers in off of feathers that I used while tying. I save them all (big or small in any color) just in case I need them later. I'm sure much of the time they are thrown out with the waste.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll definitely be checking those out! Thanks again,

Tim

Back