Materials Question

djs12354

djs12354

I have a newbie question for the more experienced tiers out there:

"Normal" sized Wooly Buggers are tied using saddle hackle. The saddle hackle I have purchased all seems to favor larger buggers.

You've seen my penchant for trying out smaller sized buggers. I'm trying some out in size 14. The saddle hackle I have is way over-size, so I have been using grizzly hackle instead. I'd like something a little softer and darker.

Can anyone provide some alternate materials?

Thanks!

Dave

RCFetter wrote:
Whiting Bugger packs have very small hackle.

Thanks, RC!

i use the softer webbed feathers closer to the skin and the outside feathers on a dry fly neck

+ theres nothing wrong with using dry fly feathers

nfrechet wrote:
i use the softer webbed feathers closer to the skin and the outside feathers on a dry fly neck

+ theres nothing wrong with using dry fly feathers

I'm going through what I have to see what might work for me (and the fish).

I will use the dry fly feathers from the 1/2 cape I have. Just was hoping for something a little softer.

Look for a hen saddle.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Look for a hen saddle.

Yep hen saddle grizzly and black are the 2 colors you would need IMO.

GenCon

I just walk out back grab a bird and pull !

+1 on the Whiting Bugger packs...One of the best materials I have found for the smaller buggers that I use for brookies

RCFetter wrote:

My experience is that It's pretty much just large dry fly hackle.....

Have you tried any schlappen yet? It's extremely soft, and comes in a variety of sizes. Sometimes, there is some left on the hackle when you buy a saddle (places like Clearwater Hackle and Collins tend to leave it on). You can also purchase packs of it, but when doing so, be sure to ask if they have it available to tie smaller sizes.

In the last few years, the majority of my streamer hackle has shifted to schlappen simply because it is so soft and moves incredibly well when wet.

Good luck!

TC

djs12354 wrote:
I have a newbie question for the more experienced tiers out there:

"Normal" sized Wooly Buggers are tied using saddle hackle. The saddle hackle I have purchased all seems to favor larger buggers.

You've seen my penchant for trying out smaller sized buggers. I'm trying some out in size 14. The saddle hackle I have is way over-size, so I have been using grizzly hackle instead. I'd like something a little softer and darker.

Can anyone provide some alternate materials?

Thanks!

Dave

PennKev wrote:
RCFetter wrote:

My experience is that It's pretty much just large dry fly hackle.....[/quote

I checked one of my Bugger Packs and would estimate about 15% of the feathers are in the range of 12 to 16 size hooks.

Back