Lower Susquehanna Bass Fishing

"I don't blame the PFBC ffor lack of action on the sewage and ag problems on the River, especially when John Arway was ED. He was fired in large part because he stood up against the politicians."
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is true it proves my point that the PAFBC is a political organization and bows to big business and polluters as I said earlier.

FWIW, I spoke to my nephew today for quite some time. He and his brother have pretty extensively fished from city island in Harrisburg up to the junction with Penns. He's telling me that he has had relatively poor bass success all year. When they have caught a decent fish, it was in a totally random spot...not related to structure, deep water, island or weedbed. They've come out of foot deep featureless areas and they've been rare. He's also reporting that they've seen 5-15 dead bass every outting.

As a result, they switched to catfishing. Lots of channels and flatheads. The last big cat puked up a 14" bass and he's guessing 25% have thrown up bass after being landed. Not a great sign.

On the topic of sewage discharged into the river..... when it's cheaper/easier to pay the fine rather than fix the problem, it's never going to be fixed. Probably not a bad place to start the conversation.

krayfish2 wrote:
FWIW, I spoke to my nephew today for quite some time. He and his brother have pretty extensively fished from city island in Harrisburg up to the junction with Penns. He's telling me that he has had relatively poor bass success all year. When they have caught a decent fish, it was in a totally random spot...not related to structure, deep water, island or weedbed. They've come out of foot deep featureless areas and they've been rare. He's also reporting that they've seen 5-15 dead bass every outting.

As a result, they switched to catfishing. Lots of channels and flatheads. The last big cat puked up a 14" bass and he's guessing 25% have thrown up bass after being landed. Not a great sign.

Interesting observations.

I'm assuming the cats that have puked up bass were flatheads? Is he confident that 25% are bass, or are they merely some type of fish? It is often hard to identify species once they are partially digested.
Also interesting notes on where larger fish are getting caught.

Whatever the case, it does support the reports from river rats that SMB fishing has been generally poor this year.

The big one they caught the other night was a channel that was probably 12 lb. And it puked up a very identifiable small mouth. As far as the other cats (channel and flathead), basically one out of every four throws up a Bass is what they were telling me

Kill every one you catch. But it's probably too late. How did they get here in first place? I have heard some interesting things on that.

Remember on this forum being told they have no effect. Well if population of bass is already on the brink they do.

I'm not a fisheries biologist (nor do I play one on TV), but it only seems to make sense that if flathead folks are using live panfish (bluegills, sunnies, etc.) for bait, then an even larger sunfish (smallmouth) would be on the menu as well...

kray's nephew identified two separate issues here. Neither are good.

1. Adult SM clearly being eaten by Catfish. There have been reports for a long time now that panfish species (namely Rock Bass and Redbreasts) have disappeared from the lower and middle river. In theory, these are easier prey for cats than SM, and prey to a larger portion of the cat population since they can be taken by relatively smaller fish. With them gone are the cats forced to attempt to prey on larger fish now...SM? How's the Fallfish population in the river? Are they still being caught?

2. Numerous dead SM. Were these adult fish? Any evidence of what may have caused their death? Sores?

I don't typically fish the Susky, but am interested and concerned in the reports. It was once the best SM fishery in the world, no question. I also have concerns about these issues spreading upstream and into tribs.

FWIW, I've had one "good", but not great, evening (in one attempt) on the lower J this Summer. And I haven't caught a Bass in three tries now on Swatara Creek, though I have caught good numbers of panfish and Fallfish. I also talked to two other guys yakking and spin fishing (I was wade fishing) and they both said they caught Bass and a couple nice ones.

Whatever is happening seems to be creeping upriver. Started noticing it below Holtwood with disappearance of sunfish and Rock Bass some yrs back. Then Safe harbor got lousy for bass. (walleye still okay but not great). Then areas around Wrightsville and Long Level got lousy. As we ventured up to Marietta and above we were still doing okay as of 3 yrs ago. Then we began hitting Middletown for a couple yrs. This year and last that area sucked. Next up? I could go on but you get the idea.

Just like the Skuke, destroyed by the flat heads

As someone posted above, i knew the skuke was toast when i saw people using smallies in addition to sunnies and any other smaller fish they could catch for bait. I havent fished it in years now but i dont think it ever came back

I agree with larkmark, every flathead caught should be gill slit and tossed onto the bank for the rodents

Surprised there isn't any flat head kill tourneys going on . Probably because they weren't demonized by the commish and media . PFBC needs to make some moves now to improve the lower river or this thread will be a Lower Susquehanna Catfish fishing in a few years . Must be a reason why they haven't released the information from the recent bass survey's. Couldn't hurt to do some extra surveys or release the information from the last ones on the river to ease the minds of anglers that been complaining about the lack of bass being caught in the last two years .

Just like the Skuke, destroyed by the flat heads

As someone posted above, i knew the skuke was toast when i saw people using smallies in addition to sunnies and any other smaller fish they could catch for bait. I havent fished it in years now but i dont think it ever came back

I agree with larkmark, every flathead caught should be gill slit and tossed onto the bank for the rodents

I would add snakeheads to that statement but you would need to cut off their head before tossing them over the bank.

Fredrick wrote:
Must be a reason why they haven't released the information from the recent bass survey's. Couldn't hurt to do some extra surveys or release the information from the last ones on the river to ease the minds of anglers that been complaining about the lack of bass being caught in the last two years .

Agree. We've spent plenty of time griping about the 2019 SMB data although my guess is they haven't posted the numbers due to being short of staff and funding.

I was looking at the numbers earlier this morning for the section from the T-pike up to Clemson Isl and the adult bass population is strong and healthy as of 2018. I have heard through the grapevine that the numbers for last year were down.

Are bow fishermen in the Susky regularly targeting flatheads?

I think we've discussed this, but I can't recall the answers.

"And, there you have it, folks. Politics and greed "Trump" concerns for the environment, the future, and the general welfare"

Wow! Talk about an uninformed statement. I guess the river wasnt polluted before Trump was president!

Politics and greed "Obama/Biden" concerns for the environment, the future and the general welfare.

SMH

Look at this one caught in the susky

Attachments

• C0FC5361-67AD-40C2-8E11-A7604DF7B434.jpeg
    C0FC5361-67AD-40C2-8E11-A7604DF7B434.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 7
If you really want to see the 2019 Susquehanna SMB report, just request a copy.

As for the lower portion of the middle Susquehanna R Rock Bass and Redbreast Sunfish population decline, my distinguished contact told me that the population decline became evident sometime in the 1950’s.

A review of PFBC biological data from the lower river (York Haven Dam to the Conowingo pool ) during the period of the late 1970’s through the early 2000’s did not show that there was an abundance of these species; they were sparse at that time.

A more recent and substantial decline in in at least a portion of the lower Delaware R. RBSF population (non-tidal area in Bucks Co) occurred sometime after the 1980’s, apparently in the 1990’s. Strong evidence for this was seen at the Point Pleasant sampling site.

They are fairly abundant in a number of lower Susquehanna R tributaries and most other SE Pa warmwater streams. You can see some of that info in the Area 6 biologist reports on warmwater streams from across the region.

As for the Schuylkill SMB population, its decline, as I have said before, preceded the introduction of Flathead Catfish. Sedimentation related habitat degradation was obvious from Gibralter downstream and especially from Linfield area downstream. The first observation of former SMB habitat destruction through inundation by sand was on the Norristown pool in the 1980’s.

Finally, as Dave stated, lower Susquehanna Walleye populations have long varied with year class strength. Big year classes, which occur every few years, pretty much drive the quality of the fisheries three and four years later. A general observation of mine over many years has been that each 3-4 years includes a very large year class, a moderate year class, and a poor year class. The year class in what I will call the fourth year, but which could occur anytime during the four year period, would be a repeat of one of the other three year class sizes. I have never seen an extended walleye reproduction “problem” in the river.

Interesting stuff. I guess from 1950s on pollution continued despite Clean Water Act etc. So when people cite studies saying over the long term things are getting very slowly and slightly better it really won't be enough to save or restore bass and other desirable fish populations in lower river? At least not in our lifetimes.

Crappies, Yellow Perch and Sunfish used to be worth going after in the Long Level/Washington Boro area from the time I started going there in 70s until 15 yrs ago or so. I think a combination of the Safe Harbor Dam fluctuating levels and pollution destroyed that fishing.
The company that now runs that dam are really going crazy fluctuating levels. They get the Conestoga River to run backwards in a dangerous way at times.

In small streams I have fished (lower Susquehanna tribs) the Rock Bass, Smallmouth and Sunfish have certainly fluctuated. This year and last something happened for sure because there are almost none to be found.

I think the entire lower Susquehanna watershed is beyond any hope. Too many roads, development, farming and pollution. It finally reached the no return point.

Mike,

I requested a copy and was told that I would have to wait until it is released via the PFBC website. Do you have a recommendation as to how I could acquire a copy?

Thank you

Since we fund the fish comm. would think that report would be online for all? I would certainly like to see what they found.

Went out near Pequea and up toward dam the other night. Mainly taking a boat ride. Toward evening saw a few bass chasing baitfish. Couldn't get in position to cast because they kept moving. Eventually launched a topwater plug with spinning rod and managed two small ones. I think a couple out there were bigger fish. This is the first decent chasing I have seen down there this year. They were in fast moving tailwater from dam.

Back