Looking for a new vise

P

Phish_On

Iam in the market to get a new vise. The vise i have now is ok, but i would like to upgrade to something a little bit better. Let me know what you all use and or like. TIA-Joel

I have the Griffin Oddessy Cam ($150) and love it.

I know people say you have to have small fingers to work the Griffins (which I do), but I don't see that.

It's full rotary and has jaws that will hold the tiny hooks.

I use a Dan Vice, Cabelas has them for $85.00. I payed less than that 10 years ago from a fly shop, It's a rotory vice that has no limitations at all, it's all black and dosn't have any glare from lights.

renzetti traveler

I started out with a Thompson 360 SLT and bought the other two jaws for it, that was used for a few years and i tied for four shops at the time.Then Thompson went out of business for a bit,as far as i know they still offer a vice again since they restructured.
Then i recieved a order for some Hairwing Atlantic Salmon flies for a out of state client,he liked them so much he asked if i could tie him a frameable Featherwing of his favorite fly.I did and i also custom inlayed the frame,as well as the matting and shadow box.
He sent me far more money than i asked for and at the time i was looking at the Pamola Vice.
Then a buddy of mine turned me onto a Renzetti he ties on,it was the older Traveler series thumbscrew.I tied a few dozen flies on it and then did some research.Since i was tying literally hundreds of dozens of flies i decided i would get the best vice for me and the best vice out at the time.I also wanted to try a rotary vice.
Suffice it to say i bought the Renzetti Master Vice and haven't looked back,secondly it is made in the USA and at the time i bought mine it was still made right here in Pennsylvania before they moved to Florida.i have since added the Ausable Crank,Backup Plate,Extended Body Tool and can honestly say it was money well spent.
If i were a fellow just tying for my self and wanted a hands down great vice it would be a Renzetti Traveller with the Cam operated vice.One set of jaws and it ties 4/0 to #28 hooks, most guys will never even tie a 4/0 hook.
Another vice that i would also ask you look into is a HMH spartan,only difference is that it is not a rotary,and you have to change out jaws to go to different hook sizes.
Because the Renzetti has no need to go and switch jaws on the Traveller or any of their other rotary vices that alone IMHO is why the Renzetti is the best choice.
Also i have a guy at the local flytying club that has a griffin and it is nice but it aint a Renzetti and also Renzetti set the bar when it came to rotary,now there are a few knock off wannabees out there,and yes i didn't mention Dyna-King either
Griffin hands down makes the best ceramic tube bobbins,Materelli and Wasatch make the finest tools,Scissors ill take Dr slick who also make decent tools too.There ya have it hope this helps.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Bought a Renzetti Traveler last year, absolutely love it.

I second the danvise. I paid $50 for mine on ebay and is just about the best vise in the $100 price range for a rotary. The rotary is silky smooth and has improved my ties when using it.

Renzetti Traveler

Griffin Montana Mongoose. Comes with a hard case, 2 bases,bobbin and a hackle gage. It's rotary and made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. All for about $200.

Go big or go home.

Jvice

I've tied on a Renzetti Traveler for a long time and it's still going strong. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Like i said...Renzetti or bust! if stationary is your thing go with HMH

I'm also on Renzetti. I had a Zephyr rotary when I started. I liked it but it wasnt great for bigger hooks. I then went to the Anvil Atlas, which I absolutely hated and it wasn't true rotary. The jaw actually chipped and I returned it. I've had the traveler now for about 4 months and I cant say one bad thing about it. Just wait until Cabelas has the really good dollar off deals if you spend $150 or more and pick it up for dirt cheap. I think I got mine for $120.

Thanks for all the helpful information. I guess i have some shopping around todo. Try and find the best deal/vise for what i tie. Thanks again everyone!

I say stop being a #OOPS# and use the two vises you got. hahhahaha jk

Yea the one will do for now, but i want to get something better.

Do you want rotory or not?
Have you tried rotory? Can you?
If you like rotary, the Renzetti Travel is top dog.
If you don't care about it, the Regal is king. You can turn it over to inspect, but its not rotory. The easy opening jaws are awesome.

If you don't have the budget to spend on either of those, the Danvise or the Griffith Odyessy Spider is a fine choice. Mid cost, lots of people have them.

Make sure whatever vise you want holds the hook sizes you want to use.

It does not have to be rotary. I mainly tie buggers, caddis, nymphs ,ect. Nothing really big.

gfen wrote:

If you like rotary, the Renzetti Travel is top dog.
If you don't care about it, the Regal is king.

Personal opinion. I have a Renzetti, a Regal, a Dynaking, and an HMH. Just because a vise is rotary, doesn't mean you HAVE to tie rotary all the time.

My Renzetti is by far my favorite. I despise my Regal. To each his own.

Back