little J

redwing134

redwing134

i would like to do some fishing on the little J. can anyone provide info on access points or good spots to fish. i hear some much about access problems any help to spend the day on the water versus looking around would be appreciated.

i'd be coming from pittsburgh.

RedWing,

There are bridges across the Little J near the towns of Spruce Creek (Espy-Spring Ridge Club property is downstream from here) and Baree. You can find fishable water near either of these bridges. For the next couple weeks look for a mid-morning trico hatch (#22-24) and terrestrial action. See my recent stream report here.

From Pgh you'll need to leave pretty early to catch the tricos, but its worth it!

Watch the stream temp late in the day on very warm days or if the nighttime lows are in the 70s.

I've heard of some warm WT's on the J, so make sure you check the temps. With these cool nights it may not be a problem. Take your triocs and terrestrials!

good luck!

PaulG

With the exception of the SRC water just below Spruce Creek you will have more trouble finding posted water than open water, lots of room to fish, fish early in the AM.

At this point, targeting the upper river will put you over some good fish with cooler water temps. This would be the responsible thing to do.

hey everyone

i appreciate the great info. i'll be sure to get a real early start.

if anyone can provide specific directions to save time i'd sure be thankful. i hate getting to the area and being lost finding the right place to get in.

any more info would help.

hey everyone

i appreciate the great info. i'll be sure to get a real early start.

if anyone can provide specific directions to save time i'd sure be thankful. i hate getting to the area and being lost finding the right place to get in.

any more info would help.

There are three easy options. Take Rte 22 East toward Altoona. Where 22 junctions with 220/99, you have two options, follow 220/99 northward toward Tyrone or stay with 22 East.

If you stay with 22 East, you will pass through Holidaysburg and start heading toward Huntingdon. About 10-15 miles East of Holidaysburg, you will reach a junction with Rte 453 (I believe, or is it 45?) at Waterstreet (there is a traffic light with 453/45 being the left-hand turn). If you stay with 22, a couple 100 yards along there is a left-hand turn toward Alexandria, make it. Travel a half mile or so until you come upon a warehouse/plant on the left and begin to look for another left just beyond the plant toward Barree. Follow this road another couple miles until you cross over the river. After crossing the river, you will make a left to head upstream. In another mile you will terminate at a parking area in Rothrock State Forest. You can fish from the bridge up to the parking area or upstream for a mile or more from the parking area.

Back to waterstreet, instead of going to Barree, turn left on 453/45. Up the hill a quarter mile maybe is a right-hand turn (I believe 45 splits to the right.) The sign should point to the village of Spruce Creek. Make the right and travel a couple miles along the mountain. At the bottom you will go under a train tressel. The river is directly in front of you. Access is open upstream for miles by making a left here. There is also a bit more river downstream from here as well, but if you make a right, you will shortly go over the river and away from it. The bridge is the upstream end of the Spring Ridge location.

Finally, back to 220/99. Instead of staying with 22, take 220/99 northward. Go past altoona 7-10 miles and exit at Tyrone. I believe this may be 453 as well. Turn right and head downstream. The river is on your right and may pass under and be on the left for a while. This road more or less parallels the stream and access is available all along here.

That should help. Good luck.

Amazingly clear and accurate directions Jack. The river is really "thin" right now, personally I would hit the lower end, bigger water!!

Back