Lessons in Fly Tying

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

About 30 years ago I tied a few flies for steelhead and bass with a lot of hands on instruction from two friends. I haven't tied one since. So, I'm starting from step one. I'd like to get some lessons sometime soon but do to my inability to drive far these days due to back pain, I need to find instruction fairly near where I live which is Perkasie.

It could be a group class or, better yet, one-on-one. I'm more than willing to pay you for your time and instruction.

If anyone knows of classes within a 30-45 minute drive of Perkasie or is willing to teach me here or at their own home in that range, I'd enjoy hearing from you.

check out mainstream outfitters in Doylestown. they had a tying class.

You're in Bucks county so you may wish to PM "gencon" on this board. Good luck!

Thanks for two great tips!

Rolf wrote:

Good info from Rolf.

There are a bunch of guys at the "Gencon" fly tying gathering Thursday nights in Bucks County.

The "Gen" in "Gencon" stands for generous gentleman (he's quite a self-promoter) :)

The whole gang are good bunch of guys, and I'm sure they would be willing to help you out.

Good luck and good tying.

afishinado wrote:
Rolf wrote:

Good info from Rolf.

There are a bunch of guys at the "Gencon" fly tying gathering Thursday nights in Bucks County.

The "Gen" in "Gencon" stands for generous gentleman (he's quite a self-promoter) :)

The whole gang are good bunch of guys, and I'm sure they would be willing to help you out.

Good luck and good tying.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
Captain hook yes feel free to send a message. Would be happy to help. There is no charge.

GenCon

if you do happen to come down to philly,for whatever,i would be happy to show you anything i could.

Don't forget there are a lot of great YouTube videos out there that offer very good and detailed instructions. Davie mcphail is one of the more popular ones out there

Main Line Flytyers taught me 30 years ago. They should be starting a class after New Years. They're not on the main line anymore.

JohnPowers wrote:
Main Line Flytyers taught me 30 years ago. They should be starting a class after New Years. They're not on the main line anymore.

The club holds their meetings in Plymouth Meeting. They classes starting up in January in the "Souderton area."

They charge about $60 for 6 lessons. I talked to them last year at the fly fishing show (they had a table) but never go around to joining their club or taking lessons. Here's their schedule (Jan dates are not set yet):

2015-2016 Class Information and Schedules

They told me to just show up at one of their meetings if I was interested in joining their club.

Back