Lehigh

I took a half day off work yesterday and fished the Gorge where Black/Hayes Creek enters. The wind was crazy and I haven't returned my broken 6 wt yet so it was either 4 or 8 wt. I chose 4 and I was way under gunned and didn't last long. Lots of olives hatching. No rises. Temp 62.

Due to the wind, I changed locations and fished the Gorge on the Brodhead. Excellent choice. Tons of bugs and rises. The recent flow makes fishing all sections of the Gorge an option now.

1st pic is the Lehigh Gorge. 2nd Brodhead Gorge. Foliage is starting to pop on the Lehigh.

Attachments

• 20140922_143253.jpg
    20140922_143253.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20140922_163243.jpg
    20140922_163243.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 6
Fished yesterday up closer to the Dam, Saw no risers but some small olives coming off. Caught most of them dead drifting a kens and one nymphing, Felt good to back on the Lehigh

Every report has been on a different section of the river,I love that about it. Miller, I do like the Brod above the mill, I bet they are really pooling up with the low flows.

Yep - Fishing has been pretty good all up and down the river. This past weekend I was on the lower river - below Bowmanstown - and had a pretty good flurry of isos from about 3pm to 5pm. Got into quite a few smaller wild fish. Or at least they looked wild to me. Not to mention some rainbows and holdovers.

This I feel is a wild fish.

2954.jpg

VC, we're you drifting or wading? Do you drive a Grand Cherokee with a FUDR sticker?

Fished at Bowmanstown and little lower yesterday from noon to 6PM.Isos,and a few caddis.Very few risers but still caught a fair number of decent fish on top just blind casting

heading back Thursday

Will be back up Friday if anyone is heading out send me a PM.

Was up near Beltzville yesterday on biz and fished the LR for only 2 hours between 4- 6PM in the riffles below Sleightington.Caught two browns;both close to 18".Nymphing: size 12 Princes nymph and 14 caddis.Saw only one rise in two hours.

Heading up tommorow and would love to fish the Gorge,but have never fished it and don't have the stones to try it alone the first time:)

Might be able to meet up Friday morning.

Stones work well in the gorge whether you're alone or with someone else.

blueheron wrote:
Chub, fallfish, not really a sucker which I call carp. Andy , do you have a bike? I'll probably go up again in October sometime and you're welcome to come along, as long as you don't mind snakes.
Chris

I do not have a bike. Been thinking about getting one...maybe by next Fall. Chris you should join US next weekend in Potter....no bikes needed!

Got out this morning. Picked up a few fish on olives and Iso's. Biggest one was in the 17-18 range. I got on the water around 10 and I think I got their too late. Helped a board member taxi his car for a float around 1 and then went back to where I was fishing to see if it picked back up, only to run into Les and AFish. Les had one on when I got there. Nothing else was going on until 3, then fish began rising again. I had to leave to grab my kids off the bus of course. Hopefully they picked off some more.

I did help this gentleman net this 20+ incher in the morning.

Andy, be careful what you wish for, I may just show up!
Shane , was that old dude fly fishing? I bet you can cross the whole river at Bowmanstown, eh.

Yeah he was fly fishing and yes you are correct. You can cross the river with very little problem.

Wow the water was LOW today in the gorge. The lowest and most clear I've ever seen it. It was a decent day though. Lots of small stuff hatching. Olives and more ants. One good thing about the really low water was I could see all the structure I could never really see before including what looked to be parts of an old dam or loch or something. I've lost a lot of flies but also caught a lot of good fish in that area and now I know exactly what's there. Water temp shot up today from 60 to 68 in about 4 hours though. Not sure why. Fish were mostly in the fast water today. Caught them all on olives, emergers and nymphs. One decent rainbow and a few small browns and maybe a dozen chubs.

Water is at record lows,65 cfs all day, I can only guess that maybe they are keeping it down for the new bridge construction above Jim Thorpe.
Someone knows but it has nothing to do with recreation. Either way it is a great time to explore the areas that are hard to access at normal flows.

The release right now matches inflow. We've had zero rain in that area of the world - Lehigh headwaters - for a little while now.

Water Release

WALTR.jpg

Fished yesterday and today. Was actually not too far from Allentown. Saw a nice array of bugs...midges (of course), flying ants, caddis (didn't if but they were dark and around a 16), some Iso's but no a lot, small olives around 22-24, and October caddis....was shocked to see these. I thought they were stones when I saw a couple hatching near the banks, but I found one on my car. Saw them again today and confirmed they weren't stones

vc, yep in matches out, I've never accessed the inflow page, I just watch the gauge below the dam and I recently saw the gauge above the dam on an exploratory trip to the little section of the big Lehigh.
Phil, Allentown?

SBecker wrote:
Helped a board member taxi his car for a float around 1 and then went back to where I was fishing to see if it picked back up

You need to be careful with this sort of thing. There are some real creeps out there.

Back