Lehigh

blueheron wrote:
vc, yep in matches out, I've never accessed the inflow page, I just watch the gauge below the dam and I recently saw the gauge above the dam on an exploratory trip to the little section of the big Lehigh.
Phil, Allentown?

North about 10 miles...below walnutport is probabaly more accurate

Fished in the afternoon for a few hours today in the Btown area. Fish sipping olives, but were being picky f'ers. Moved down stream to an area that is usually impossible to fish due to depth. Was much easier with the low water, but still was up to the top of my waders to try to reach the risers.

Pod of nice size fish rising. At least 4 in the 20 inch range doing the whole body rise. Refused all dry flies I tossed. Sunk in my thick skull that they were feeding in the film. Tossed on an iso and immediately stripped it under the surface. Swung it to the risers and almost instantly stung one. Began working 2 or three in the area and landed a nice 16 incher. Wasn't the big one I was aiming for, but I will take it. Stung 2 more on the strip. Fun for a few hours. Probably head back out after the Eagles game tomorrow.

Got out around 5 to 6:30. Dry dropper. Iso dry and a Dave Rothrock iso nymph. Almost had my rod pulled out of my hand twice by fish taking the nymph. Landed 5 in 10 minutes and one snap me. Decided to stop fishing and work with my cousin to get him fish. I promptly got him two chubs. Lol

I can honestly say the low water fall days are some of the best Lehigh fishing I have ever had.

If anyone wants to fish the river now is the time. Relatively ez wading, can hit just about the whole river. And it is a great time to learn pockets, runs and holes. If you fish pocket water and runs, fish don't seem to be as persnickety. Slow flat water fish here are well educated and typically very methodical in their suface eating habits, preferring smaller flies in the film or in foam lines.

Fished the Tannery area Sunday. River is still down but the rains on Saturday helped.Picked off a few smaller fish (9-10') with small Iso's (14's) around protruding rocks with short casts due to the "fall breeze". It wasn't easy.

Switched to a wtd zonker in yellow (love Yellow zonkers in the LR) and fish size definately improved.

In addition located a stud brown that chased twice. Believe it saw me the second time. Put him down, couldn't raise him again. Left the area for a while and figured I would try after resting him.

About an hour later came back this time with a Peacock and Brown Flash a bugger. Rewarded with a insanely fat ~19" Brown.

Note to self and tip for others: If fish are chasing, don't bring your fly so close that the fish can see you. Let it hang in water at a good distance for few seconds before pick up. You may not catch the fish on the "hang" but it wont spook. On succeeding casts, try "Rhythmic" strips vs erratic.

I haven't fished the Lehigh since early June. I fish in the White Haven area, was thinking of heading back and taking a look. What should I be prepared with?

PM me. Weather permitting I will be fishing the WH area this Sunday, Perhaps we can meet. Otherwise, try streamers/buggers with alot of natural action yellow, white, olive or peacock, black all with a little bit of flash should work.

Try swing through deeper runs,

If you are into nymphing stay with dark colored nymphs in 14-16 range. Zug Bug, prince, dark hares ears, olive PT's and March Browns in #12(I know its not the time but the MB nymph looks close enought to alot of critters in the river ie stone fly, hellgramite, mayfly, and others). Also green or greyish tan caddis larvae in 14-16.

Dryfly action is hit and miss now. Smallish Iso's in 14 and 16, BWO 14 and 16, and your guess as to what color caddis are all possibities, though green and tan are most common.

When in doubt #12 Royal wulff, #16 Adams, and #14 Stimulator are good bets.

I tend to stay away from the classic dry fly areas ie flats. I pay most of my attention to riffs, runs, seams and deeper pockets behind rocks and shaded areas. FISH THE FOAM LINES

hope this helps

Good Advice Eye, I find them in deep runs with large nymphs, some 10 3x long, and large buggers. I can honestly say I never see another fly fisher and the random bait bomber on that river, that to me is a beautiful thing . The fall bite is on but I have to head north this weekend to close the cabin up, maybe I'll catch someone on an end of the month trip. Learn to love the low water.

Guys....keep up the great catching on the Lehigh. Great reports are coming in.

I ask that you guys take the time to fill out an angler survey. You can do it online.

http://www.thelehighriver.org/survey.php

I've been getting a bunch in lately so keep em coming.

Some nice fish being caught this fall. Thanks!!!

Just reading this now tigereye, thanks for the advice, sending a PM now

Fished around Whitehaven today, Caught 2 bows on streamers and missed two on Sulphur dries. Saw a mom bear and two cubs also

Interesting, I've been fishing the WH, Tannery and Rockport areas and have been catching mostly Rainbows also. Curious as to where the Browns got to.

Perhaps they are just being moody.

NOTE TO LEHIGH REGULAR: any trends emerging in your survey?

Last season I saw 2 small bears on the opposite shore, I'm not sure they had noticed me, the one jumped in the river off a rock, I froze and then started to back off, they scurried back up the bank into the brush, no sign of the mom.

Thanks to all on this forum that suggested now was the time to get on the Lehigh, I played hooky from work this past Tuesday.
After reading these posts, and day dreaming of fishing plans while sitting in mindless meetings and conference calls at the office, it was time to execute. I pulled the trigger to get out just prior to the front that rolled through and blew everything out, and it was a day not to be missed or forgotten on the river. It certainly opened my mind to what this river can offer and what the potential it holds to be even greater.

With stark overcast skies and low clouds rolling and drifting through the gorge I set my destination on bear creek. The biking north from Glen Onoko went fast and seemed to melt away all of the chains of society with each passing mile. The fast water just north of Oxbow bend produced several nice brown and rainbows. All were fooled on Pheasant tail Nymphs dead drifted in the very low water level. Wading at 90 CFS from the dam went with ease and the ability to cover the river from any angle and pocket. Moving south as the day progressed I found endless stretches of pocket water and inviting runs. Picking up more browns and rainbows. Some were close to 20”. With the peak fall colors out, not another sole around, and fishing superb, I’m a firm believer.

Most of the fish brought to net that day appear to be hold overs. My question is, since it appears no stocking is going on in the Gorge, are these all migrations from lower stocking in the spring, or hold overs from years past? Some mighty fine fish in that gorge.

15373717637_92d5199459_c.jpg

15373717237_5c0406a1aa_c.jpg

15560564802_69a7155900_c.jpg

14938978404_87c99ced85_c.jpg

Nice. Love it. Great report! Did you have any bugs? I would imagine the bows ara migrators. The browns, without seeing them may be wilds or stockies. Look at the character of that water. wow!

That scenery picture is sweet. I showed it to my cousin without telling him where it was taken and asked where he thought it was. His response? "Montana or somewhere out west".

There was a private group stocking the gorge for a few years. I am not sure if they are still up and running though. Remember the state stocks up near White Haven.

wow. sounds like a great day. im bummed i missed my chance. flows are now 600cfs.

maybe another day.

Not much to speak of in the way of bugs. A couple BWO's and some sort of size 16-14 brown-ish mayfly.

The flows are key, hard to get that good combination of low flows and cold water temps. I would not fish it if the flows are low in the summer with borderline temps. But even super low flows don't mitigate the walking over greased bowling balls factor.

"melt away all the chains of society" I like that one Smike. Nice photos.

Great stuff.

Tigereye - not yet. We will take a look at the information in November or December. Keep em coming. Lots of surveys keep rolling in. Thanks guys.

I may try to take a quick look at the online surveys we have to date and talk to the PFBC boys on Wednesday night at the ACOE meeting. l

Back