Lehigh River Jam and Flow Plan Meeting 10/27/2015

Worked the schedule so my son and I will be at the meet-up at 9:00 AM.
Looking forward to learning some of the Lehigh.

Scrapped the golf plans. Fishing sounds like the ticket. I can't wait to tag along.

Nickr
Smike
Lestrout
AFISHN
Krayfish2
Moosehead_Belle
Mb's Son
CodyM
Chaz (Maybe)
PhilC (Maybe)

For those that are still on the fence... come out and join us. It will be worth it. There will be a lot of very knowledgeable and skilled anglers meeting up to fish with and go to the meeting afterwards.

If anybody has any questions shoot me a pm... I will check my PAFF inbox up until about 9:30. Leave your phone number in my inbox if you want me to call you back. We will be in the gorge... cell service can be pretty spotty to non existent.

Looks like a good turnout - - thanks Nick for organizing. There will be a few folks from the LCFA on hand prior to the meeting to hand out some collateral and discuss the evolution of the flow plan, limitations, etc.

See you 5:15pm or so at the Holiday Inn

Every little bit helps in politics and that includes your vote a week from today for any offices on the ballot. Since this is a public input event, I think it is great you will be going, whether 8 or 88. And it is nice that a fishing get-together was organized to add an additional incentive to get to the meeting.

Game day decision...I'll be there this afternoon

Lestrout once told me, "the journey of a thousand mile begins with the first step"...

And the Cherokee Nation understood this explicitly.

Good luck today guys! Bummed I could not attend. Instead I will sit in the office and peck away at these keys. Post some pics if you can.

Would you like a pic of the holiday inn parking lot?

Sure. Love me a good Holiday Inn.

Kray you should post a pic of Howard Johnson's parking lot with Spicoli sleeping in the car.

Nice meeting / seeing everyone at the meeting. What did I personally take away from this ACOE meeting???

The ACOE is basically looking at numbers and numbers only....lake elevation, inflow, and outflow. The guy basically said that he's got to get the lake pool to 'X' feet by 'X' date. He doesn't care if he runs the outflow at 4500cfs for 24 hours or at 1000cfs for 72 hours. As long as it gets to the elevation he needs it to be at. With that said, the ACOE are attempting to meet the requests of the rafting outfitters, fishermen and private paddlers. I wouldn't want that job! Several groups with different objectives / goals.

The PFBC and DEP were in attendance. The PFBC was very much onboard with 'stepping down' the flows as opposed to simply shutting the releases off. ACOE and rafters seemed to be on the same page and would expect to see this factored in for the 2016 plan. That's a good thing for the health of the river and should help with the fishing.

The one thing that stood out was the PFBC stated more than once that the Lehigh is a "cool water fishery" and can't be managed for trout or as a coldwater fishery. They agree that the flow changes over the last 10 years has improved the trout fishery....more holdovers and more wild fish showing up. It basically left me saying...... it is what it is.

All with interest in the releases seemed to be working in harmony and taking the other groups interests into consideration. It was refreshing to see people being civil. A few tweaks to the system to get additional volume during the warmest parts of the year and increased flow from the PO should continue to payoff.

As long as we keep getting cooperation from all parties involved, wet Junes and no heat waves, I would expect the fishery to keep improving.

During the meeting, some expressed concern about the high flows causing gravel blockades at the feeders. I'd bet that's a result of high-water events coming down the feeders carrying the gravel to the mouth of the feeder. Opening these back up should provide more access for the spawning fish. If LCFA wants to do restoration work on the feeders, sign me up.

Nice meeting everyone it was a very informative meeting. Kray gave a good overview. If you fish the Lehigh id recommend joining the LCFA they are a good organization and put a voice for the fisherman.

Guys....thanks for attending the meeting and showing your interest in what is going on with the Lehigh. Kray's take away is pretty much spot on. As for the fishery being "cool"water fishery, the PFBC is correct and that it really doesn't meet the criteria for a year round "coldwater" fishery. That said, it doesn't mean its not a good trout river and that decent populations of wild trout can't survive in the river. As someone stated last night, currently this fishery is both a mixed wild trout and stocked trout fishery. Sometimes the PFBC can't see the forest through the trees, but Daryl P. (PFBC rep) is taking much more of an interest and greater enthusiasm towards the Lehigh than he has in the past.

The one thing I did not express to the group prior to the meeting is the next steps and where we need to focus on going. The one recreational kayaker did bring it up and that was the Feasibility Study that the ACOE is looking to get funding for and a co-sponsor. This will need political support and assistance from cooperating agencies (i.e.- DCNR, PFBC, DEP, DRBC and possibly NYDEC). Unfortunately we ran out of time and the meeting started before I could elaborate more about.

Closing note, Thanks NICK R for organizing this event. Next time, I will take time off and fish the river with you guys. That said, I want everyone to know that this was the FIRST meeting that Anglers outnumbered the whitewater enthusiasts. Great showing!!!!!!

Lets try to keep the moment rolling. Please send comments to ACOE for next years Plan. I will post the email address when I can find where I wrote it down.

pdpa-nap@usace.army.mil

Thanks to everybody who showed up to fish and attend the meeting in White Haven last night. I know just about everybody blew off important plans and even work to make this meeting even with the short notice.

Thanks Smike for helping me show some of the gentleman from this forum some of the river... wish we had better fishing but that is why they call it fishing and not catching, right?

Thanks to Jake, Dean and Paul from Lehigh Coldwater Fishery Alliance for getting everybody up to speed on what the organization is advocating for on the river. I think the pre meeting handout and briefing was great.

Krayfish2, Smike, and a few others made some really good points about the flow plans. I was surprised to hear that even the rafters thought those mega dumps around Columbus Day to get the lake pool down to 1370 ft were too much and too fast. Perhaps next year they will get rid of the yo yo flows and start ramping the flows up and down instead of the more abrupt changes.

In regard to the Lehigh being labeled as a cool water fishery by PFBC there is evidence that trout are holding over really well and wild trout populations are present in good numbers. The river is cool enough year round to support trout under the current management. In stretches of the river where it gets warm the fish certainly move into the many cold tribs or into the more oxygenated riffles and runs. This is no different than some of our best trout streams in PA, Penn's being one of them.

As long as they keep the established or greater minimum flows during the summer months the fish will do pretty well. Anglers are seeing evidence with catches of wild trout and hold overs all over the river. With that being said we are still relatively early in the game... the river is going to get better yet. Right now were just seeing the river start to really come to life. I think the flow plan is tweaked pretty good. Could t be improved? Yes. We have to keep asking.

Jake, in the future don't hesitate to reach out... I will help out in any way that I can and I am sure there are quite a few others who will help out as well. Hopefully I can help out with the Lehigh River Boot Camp this spring.

In the mean time I guess I will keep praying for the release tower to be repaired. Would change this conversation drastically if they could do some selective releases during the summer months.

That was a great pre-meeting briefing and a surprisingly good ACOE meeting. I was impressed with the civility of the participants and the willingness to respect the resource while leaving room for competing interests. I thought the officials were working hard to listen to the variety of concerns. I'm very glad I came to the meeting, although I did hear that I should have come the day before for better catching. I didn't know enough to contribute to the meetings while in session, but I did spend some time after with Darryl and Dave, thanking them for their efforts.

A couple of the fly guys I met on the stream mentioned the problem with the release tower. I wish there had been more time to enlarge on that part of the discussion since that fix sounds quite troutworthy.

Is there room to form alliances with ACOE by helping with the federal funding? Especially if that funding would help repair the release tower, which would significantly improve the warm weather releases to the benefit of trouts?

This quickly pulled together event looks like it paid off despite the haste; and kudos to NickR and the LCFA for that. Going forward, there is room for improvement to enlist national groups like TU, FFF and several conservation groups. PA based groups like the PA FF Museum and clubs could also be helpful.

The 4 regulars I met on the river rattled off a host of groups that I knew little about, including the LR stocking bunch and a couple of local clubs with Indian names. Yet they knew nothing about the ACOE meeting. So we have a lot of upside in assembling strength in numbers.

If a co-sponsor is needed to help ACOE with the federal funding, the mix of resources could provide that very thing. It would be good to partner with ACOE, building on the pretty successful 10 year program and creating a sustainable partnership and reducing the propensity for conflict.

Back