Legend Ultra going away

CathyG

CathyG

I wanted a 5 weight St Croix Legend Ultra for a long time and last month Cabelas had them on sale so I took the plunge. Great rod. I like it so much I want one in a 6 weight. I figured I would get one next year.

Well St Croix has discontinued them. Bummer, they're great rods (I also have a 3 wt).

I'm sure they will be available for a long time but I don't get St Croix's thinking.

The new for 2012 is the "High Stick Drifter" nymph rod developed by Kelly Galloup. 9'6" 4 wt and 10' 4 & 5 weights.

They look like nice rods but price wise they are out of my league.

i dont get it either i had the pleasure if fising a legend ultra 3 wt this summer it was a really nice rod there wasnt anyhting i didnt like about it back to this highstick drifter thing it just sounds like another euro nymphing rod to me although those are very nice tools for nymphing how do they perform when theres a nice hatch and your dry fly rod is far away back at the car.....i dont get their thinking either

Its possible St Croix is re-tooling the Legend Ultra and that they'll bring it back. They've done that before.

I'm glad I bought the 5 wt when Cabelas put it on sale. I think I paid $239 for the 4 pc; that's about $100 off.

The only local St Croix dealer is Gander Mtn and they only have a few Imperials and old Reign and Triumph.

BTW, St Croix's "Bargain Room" is down to only a few models of the old Triumphs. 2 piece are $45 and 4 pc are $55/$60 if someone wants a cheap yet not bad back up.

Probably have some new aerospace resin system that makes it stronger and lighter well its the marketing trend these days

Meh.

Good rods come and go.

Back