Lackawanna river

• Thread starter pennsadventures
  • Start date
Sounds like a simple case of Lackawanna lockjaw.

I had a "hard is what you don't know what to do" days yesterday (10/1). I have wanted to get on the river. I am not a good fly fisherman (noob). I felt like it was time to take a walk with the rod and see what was up. But I was not sure of where to access the river.

Long story short, there seemed to be very little flow where I took a stroll and the fish, if they were indeed present (and they prolly were, right?), saw me coming from a mile away on that clear water.

When I got home, I googled "access points on Lacakwanna River" and will roll in just a tad smarter next time.

Also, it seems A&G Outfitters puts out a weekly river report with suggested flies / nymphs to use. More clues!

Who knew the internetz is useful for some things?!

Be careful... there are some places you can fish where the water temps are cooler, but with the current warm spell and low flows (45 cfs) it can be tough to revive some of those large browns if you get into one. I typically don’t fish it if it’s under 80...usually don’t have much success below that flow even when temps are good anyway.

Lackcf wrote:
Be careful... there are some places you can fish where the water temps are cooler, but with the current warm spell and low flows (45 cfs) it can be tough to revive some of those large browns if you get into one. I typically don’t fish it if it’s under 80...usually don’t have much success below that flow even when temps are good anyway.

Understood.

We obviously haven't had enough rain lately, but I mean these flows are way down. What is typical for this stretch of river? Anyone know? If this is typical for fall (45 cfs), then it seems it is not a river to fish in the fall, right?

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01534500

The flows are usually around 60 cfs. We're due for a soaker on Monday.

Back