Lackawanna river

• Thread starter pennsadventures
  • Start date
pennsadventures wrote:
Someone take us up on it then. I put a post up to not be told I'm a rookie!!! If it's not taken serious why would I respect anything that is said. It's easy, I will give respect when it's earned. If all you guys are so good ( because I see the photos from the jam) meet up with us on the water. I tie for the two main fly shops on penns. So if you ever bought a fly most likely it came form me but I'm just a rookie lol. Someone name a time and place and how many anglers. I have enough guys that will teach all you guys something.
. Remember if the fly doesn't work......" It's not the fly......YOU SUCK !!!!!"

SmoothOperator wrote: Remember if the fly doesn't work......" It's not the fly......YOU SUCK !!!!!"

Norm gave me a bumper sticker that said this on a Saturday morning at the jam. From some Yellowstone flyshop. I regrettably put it on my bumper and now am slowly convincing everyone who thought I was a decent human being they were wrong. Based on the facial expressions after they read it while talking with me at the tailgate.

As to the OP, "I'm a pretty good fly fisherman too" and when me and Fritz went to the lack for a few days of camping and fishing after hearing all the hoopla, we found it a very difficult figure. Only caught a handful of fish in three days and had one hog tear me off. It was early September I think too...

It's not the Little J or Spring or Penns for sure.

I also am reminded everytime I open my tailgate after a skunking what really happened that day.

Sometimes the catchin' is good.

And sometimes the catchin' isn't so good.

But everyday fly-fishing is good!

If not....you're doing it all wrong.

I consider my self to be an excellent fly fisher. I also think I resemble Brad Pitt.

I've only fished letort maybe 20 times and falling springs a half dozen. I think falling springs is harder, what do you guys who fish these creeks regularly think? To me, these are the two hardest streams/rivers ive fished.

Henry's fork at the ranch I thought was fairly easy, the upper Delaware had a big learning curve but it's not that bad. I fished the battenkill in vt one day and did very well. None of the above were with a guide.

I've fished penns maybe 1/2 dozen times and I thought it was pretty easy - and the only times I've fished it have been in Feb and march.

Every time I return to a bad stream, it gets better.

Go musky fishing..you'll learn a lot about yourself...

And how bad you suck...or do you?...

govtmule wrote:
Go musky fishing..you'll learn a lot about yourself...
And hiw to strip... and cast...and strip... and cast...
Mike B

Wow...just wow! I can't believe this was posted. The Lack is a home water to me and there have been MANY days that I have been skunked on it. And there have been other days (sometimes back to back) where it has been amazing. From those I have fished with on here, I think I am an okay fly fisherman with many, many hours on that river. I also fish bass tournaments and consider myself better at bass fishing than fly fishing but even the boys with the $80k Phoenix and Basscat boats don't gloat like the OP has so far. Honestly, it's just fishing. You don't always catch fish, and if you are challenging people to a rod contest, why even try to get a rise out of the folks you originally asked the advice from? Relax and have fun...look in the mirror and tell yourself you are good...don't tell us because we know that on any given day, any angler can be "good" if conditions and fishing are just right. Until then, please have a little courtesy on this forum and in life...you will get further by being nice. Remember, it's kind of hard to cast while patting yourself on the back.

A guide out West I liked put the hard/easy thing in perspective. You get good at what your home waters present to you, or else you take up golf. For example, on many Western tailwaters it is all midge fishing, so the people who fish there get really good at tiny stuff. People who fish spring creeks get really good at gentle presentations in clear water to spooky fish. People who fish big rivers get better at long casts and handling wind. People who live in the Rockies near high gradient streams (some I fished in CO were Class V rapids and scared the hell out of me) learn to work pockets really well. Some streams the fish are spooky, but eat anything. Others they feed right in front of you, but need a perfect fly presented perfectly.
As my first boss said, "easy is what you know how to do; hard is what you don't know what to do." Nobody knows everything, but most of us can handle streams like our home waters pretty well.

The Lackawanna is an odd stream - an urban river cooled by mine drainage and sweetened by sewer effluent. Fishing by the old "bony piles" (now with plenty of vegetation, but I remember when the big one near Rte 81 was on fire) is a different thing. Not like Penn's Ck, but it sure grows some hogs if you learn it.

Skeet6 wrote:
pennsadventures wrote:
I love how all you guys think we're rookies lol. I guided for years on way better water than the Lackawanna. It was a last min trip for time restrictions my buddy was doing google searches all the way there. We did hit two spots. Not sure of the first location because he just told me how to get there and the second was a section in the park. Let me repeat myself. It was a last second trip for time issues. We were going to head to ny but his ex wife jammed that up. This is why I never post on this board. It's full of douchebags that are know it alls. Since you do your weekend get away on penns I will put money up that him and I smoke anyone on the stream!! I will show you how"bad we are lol.

Thanks to the guys that actually took this post serious. To the douchebags put your money where your mouth is because we will take you to school.
Perhaps you might fit in over on The Drake forum a little bit better with that attitude. Lots of "guides" there too. "Smoke anyone on the stream" - classic. Is this a troll post?
Mike B

The Drake boys would have a field day with him. They hate prima donnas and posers. (Which is ironic)

I fish the Lackawanna often. Should, I live practically on it. I've had good days and a lot of bad days. But I suck and have a lot to learn.

I tell people that they may not catch a lot of fish on the Lack, but they have a damn good chance of catching the biggest brown they have ever caught.

Had one magic day a few years a ago where a friend and I caught 3 each over 18" in a 90 minute span. One of mine was 20" or 21" and is still my personal best.

Got humbled one day watching the "Coaltown Throwdown". One of the participants took 4 nice sized browns out of a 15' long run.

You have your good days and you have your bad. As some one else pointed out: It's fishing, not catching. Learn to enjoy time on the water for the time on the water. Let any catching be icing on the cake.

djs12354 wrote:

Got humbled one day watching the "Coaltown Throwdown". One of the participants took 4 nice sized browns out of a 15' long run.

I didn't know you were watching me.

I am a poopy fishermen and I have caught my fair share of big boys out of the Lack. I have also had days where I got skunked or caught only 1.

Those Lack fish move often and the name of the game is finding them. Recently I went to my honey hole up there. Caught 1 fish in about 2 hours and was dumbfounded. Went down stream a half a mile to another section and caught over 15 in an hour, 3 in the 18-20 inch range. My friend from Virginia caught 4 in the 20's in the same amount of time in the same section. They move!

I am such a great fly fisherman that I need to routinely make things more difficult on myself so that it is not too easy.

Mods, please move this thread to the beginner forum :lol:

pennsadventures wrote:
I got a phone call last night from a coach on this team and he asked me to help out judging the competition in march on penns creek. First off I never even considered myself to be even remotely good enough to get involved in this. What all is involved with this team? I have never though much about it because I though it was way out of my league. Whats everyone thoughts on getting involved with them. I have tought numbers of people to flyfish and always will. Just worried that the kids I will be with know more about it than I do.

Weird

pennsadventures is a russian troll

I just signed up for a comp summer camp. Hope my instructor doesn't take me to Penns and smoke me. I'm in the market for a decent 1 weight in the 13.5' - 19' range. I have been making coily sighters out of 50 pound yellow stren. I got a 3000 yard spool so I've already filled a Rubbermaid tote with them. So pumped

krayfish2 wrote:
I just signed up for a comp summer camp. Hope my instructor doesn't take me to Penns and smoke me. I'm in the market for a decent 1 weight in the 13.5' - 19' range. I have been making coily sighters out of 50 pound yellow stren. I got a 3000 yard spool so I've already filled a Rubbermaid tote with them. So pumped

Kray. i recently upgraded to a new 20' 1/2 weight. So Ill let you have my 19' 1 weight go for a decent price, just pm me.
Also i have extra spools of 20lb for making a great 40' leader

Back