Jig streamers

B

bdhoover77

Apologies if this has already been discussed in other threads, but I couldn’t find anything. I am curious if anyone has suggestions on types of jig streamers to use on a euro nymphing rod? My local stream here in Maryland is supposedly a good place for streamer fishing. I’m interested in experimenting with some micro streamers for trout on my euro rod.

Do you ever rig up a jig streamer and a nymph dropper?

I tie jig streamers, but I use them for bass and panfish. I use 1/32, 1/20 and 1/16 oz jigs and they're on size 6 hooks. They range from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches long. If you consider woolly buggers streamers, I've tied them on standard streamer hooks in size 14 and 16, not sure how they would look on a jig hook.
For materials I use buck tail, marabou and fine hair. I think you can rule out buck tail for micro jigs. Marabou and fine hair would work. Here's a picture of a couple of hair jigs I tied up. It will give you an idea of how fine the hair is. They're tied on 1/32 oz pan fish jigs with size 6 hooks.
Hair Jig2

Someone sent me the hair pieces years ago. It could be calf hair. It might be polar bear.
As far as fishing a nymph dropper behind a jig hook. Why not? I don't nymph a lot. I will use a small streamer behind a nymph. Trying to create the illusion of a small bait fish chasing the nymph.

While I don't tie streamers on jig hooks, I do tie a variety of very heavily weighted streamers that are designed to sink fast and ride hook-upward. Once you get accustomed to casting them - toss or chuck n -duck really - they can be very effective, especially in the tight spaces that characterize trout habitat around here. Any long euro-style nymph rod will work

I do sometimes fish a nymph dropper, typically a scud with a sculpin. It works, but you will probably want to experiment with some different rigging set-ups to find what works for you. You can use a heavy streamer very effectively as a point fly with some soft hackles or nymphs as droppers. A heavy Wooly Bugger tied on a jig hook is tailor made for this application.

Give it a try and follow up with a post telling us how you made out.

Back