Islander Reels

They're cheaper, by a bit.

There's lots of cheaper options now, plus used Hardys available for that price, too. Guess it comes down to what you want to fulfill.

I know a group of dirty pinners that swear by Islander reels!

great reels for sure, I have sold them..

Depends on the cost... I've used one but only briefly. I prefer the Jw young bob James for a few reasons or the raven sst's. Are you ever around southeast pa? If you want I will be up on the salmon river on labor day and Columbus day weekends and can let you try a few out before you buy. Let me know.

I just saw Hanover, I'll be out there oct 1 and 2nd for a wedding and could bring a few along as well

Cool. that could work. I can put ya on some browns if you got the time.

I think I may have mistaken your post, the islander is a popular float fishing center pin reel (no drag). I take it you are looking for a center pin fly fishing reel, not bobber fishing reel?

Tiltaxp wrote:
I think I may have mistaken your post, the islander is a popular float fishing center pin reel (no drag). I take it you are looking for a center pin fly fishing reel, not bobber fishing reel?

He put a link there. He is looking for 5/6 fly reel.

Dirty, DUMB, pinner!

At least I can admit when I f up... Damn stubborn fly snagger... aren't you pinning for steelhead with me this fall/winter you old grouch?

Butter worm murderer!!

Tiltaxp wrote:
At least I can admit when I f up... Damn stubborn fly snagger... aren't you pinning for steelhead with me this fall/winter you old grouch?

Well. Ya. I wanna catch feesh.

Nobody really has answered his query, so I will give my opinion.
I own 3.
LX 4.5 (large arbor/disc drag) 12wt
FR 2 (disc drag) 8wt
IR 2 (click/pawl) 4wt

They are great reels. The saltwater reels are second to none. They are equal to Tibor and better than Abel. Great drag and low maintainence. And the gold finish looks great.
I use the 8 wt reel on my largemouth float tube rod. The 12 wt is on my XiII

The trout reel is very nice, too. Light weight and a smooth drag. I use it on my 7' 9" cane rod.

Hope this helps

Jed, that's a glowing and relevant review from gutcutter. Seriously, give that review great consideration.

Back