Is this year going to be another washout?

Wet weather even earlier this year. Mosquitoes and gnats are out in force.

Yes.

Since this article was posted- June 10th it’s poured many more times.

In Western PA , the longest we have gone is 3 days without precipitation.

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Saying 2019 has been a soggy year would be the understatement of the year.

This year, precipitation has been relentless. Of the 160 days we have experienced, so far of 2019 (at the time this article was written), 116 of those had a trace or more of precipitation.

That means a whopping 72.5% of the year has come with precipitation. In fact, it has rained so much, that we have only been able to string together a maximum of three dry days in a row.

Build the ark. New normal

acristickid wrote:
Since this article was posted- June 10th it’s poured many more times.

In Western PA , the longest we have gone is 3 days without precipitation.

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Saying 2019 has been a soggy year would be the understatement of the year.

This year, precipitation has been relentless. Of the 160 days we have experienced, so far of 2019 (at the time this article was written), 116 of those had a trace or more of precipitation.

That means a whopping 72.5% of the year has come with precipitation. In fact, it has rained so much, that we have only been able to string together a maximum of three dry days in a row.

Build the ark. New normal
You're right, it is the new normal. Just another by-product of climate change. The change that Mr. Trump doesn't believe exists. :-D

Fished the Susky Sunday. Gauge was at 19,000 and the normal/average flow is 13,500. Not too bad, right? Peaked at 100,000 yesterday and dropped near 80,000 today. Great, you will be fishing it again in no time. Hold your horses.... NOAA has it rising again to around 130,000 by Saturday! There's a whole lot of water coming down from Williamsport, Wilkes-Barre and Binghamton. No rain for 12-14 days is needed to drain the system and allow it to clear. The fish we did catch Sunday were good sized, fat and happy.

Here in the SC we have managed (so far) to slip between some of the recent storms and water levels are very nice on local creeks (Breeches is 400something and other creeks are at very fishable levels right now). Of course, this could all change in a matter of hours.

For so long, SCPA and SEPA got blown out time and time again and western PA seemed to stay much dryer. It seems that this trend has finally shifted and western PA is getting its turn under-water.

Whatever the case - yes - it sure seems like we're going to have another awful summer for river and stream fishing, especially bass fishing. It would really help if that stuck jet stream would shift.

Once again the dark blue and black dots have inundated (pun intended) the Commonwealth on the USGS Daily Streamflow Conditions map. If you get a chance to fish any particular waterway when the conditions are favorable you better jump on it!

I can't recall the last time when the Tully flow was 3,300 cfs. My son and I fished yesterday afternoon from 4:30 until 7:00, when the sky unloaded on us. Fortunately we had rain gear and caught a bunch of fish before the deluge. I told my son it was coming, that we should fish while we can.

Planned to fish the Tully this morning. Got up at 5:00, I knew it rained in Lancaster overnight, so I checked the gage. It looked good. Left home around 5:30, when I crossed the turnpike, I noticed the roads were wet, but didn't think much of it. Got to the Paper Mill and that stream was almost up to the road. Drove down to the 222 Bridge and the Tully was brown and roaring. Stopped for breakfast and was home by 7:30. Checked the gage and it went from just over 3 feet to almost 7 feet. I'm headed to Pine Creek and Cedar Run tomorrow, hoping for better conditions up there next week.

I have a mess in my basement. Nothing like wet carpet to clean up. The fun never ends.

So much water here that I can't get out to fish the cicada hatch. Had some luck on local ponds, but even they are brown. Local produce / crops are going to be at a premium this year.

I bought a jet boat after a decade of low water, drought and prop smashing. It's just change and it will change again and again and again. 1.5 years does not make a new norm.

To answer the question, yes it will be another wet year. I'm going to hold off going back to a prop for another 8 or so years though.

According to Bruno- this is 10th day in a row with rain in the Pittsburgh area. Drizzle here at Laurel Mountain

There’s a strange red ball shining in the sky today.
Does anyone remember what that is?

I saw that ball ,I went out back to get a better look but the grass wrapped around my legs andI panicked and ran back inside.Tomorrow I will go out and tame the grass before it gets too wild!

I think there will be good trout fishing available this weekend.

The water is very high in some parts of the state, but not so high in other areas.

Lake Erie fishing well but still quite cool for this time of year. PI has pathways underwater along with bike path areas. Highest it has been in 30 years.

troutbert wrote:
I think there will be good trout fishing available this weekend.

The water is very high in some parts of the state, but not so high in other areas.

Yeah
The central PA limestoners seem to have been missed by the heavy downpours that hit the rest of the state.
Sadly, as someone else already mentioned, all streams in the western part of the state - where the cicadas have been hatching - are currently blown out

Back