Is this year going to be another washout?

So many blue and black dots on the Pa. USGS site. Nuttin" anyone can do about that.

I had the last seven days off for a planned backpacking/fishing trip to a couple of locations. It rained Sunday to Thursday and we only fished four out of seven days. But we caught two streams in epic, prime conditions. The window was small - three to four hours for the epic, prime stuff, because on one stream, as soon as we got back to camp after fishing that window, a thunderstorm went through and turned everything into chocolate milk again, and on the other stream, we pretty much fished ourselves out of the conditions as we worked upstream and had to leave at the end of that day. The lower portion of the stream would have been prime the next morning.

On Friday, after Thursday's heavy thunderstorms, we fished a smaller stream and deferred the larger stream to Saturday. The moral of the story is if the big streams are blown, go smaller. And look for the windows of falling water on the big streams. They are there; you just won't enjoy days of uninterrupted fishing on the larger streams. Take advantage of conditions on streams as water levels fall.

I'll take rain over drought conditions any year.

No, I’ve had good fishing when I’ve been out.

We need Chaz to hook us up- cause it’s raining again in SWPA.

Seriously as soon as streams round into shape another deluge. Seattle has nothing on us. Poured yesterday and it’s raining again now. Guess we gotta sharpen our lake game..

North Branch of Susquehanna was finally looking nice I did manage to get out and enjoy it with a few smallmouth but back to "normal conditions" for now.

Akid, the State Bird of Washington is the Salmon. GG

Don't look now, but a possible tropical system may form in the Gulf of Mexico by the end of the week.
Anybody's guess as to where it goes from there, but we need to keep an eye on it for PA.

I fished a small freestone stream in Clinton County yesterday and the flow level was pretty good, but a little higher flow would have been better. Some additional rain would help keep the flows good and the water temperatures down.

No joke, this was my front yard yesterday afternoon. 2nd storm of the day.

Clockwise motion

Well, just as the J and Susky dropped....boom, right back up. Between me and a few other forum members, 7-8 floats and only a handful of fish. It really needs to drop a foot, clear and warm up. Fish caught were not related to structure but we're very random roamers in flat featureless pools.

Side note was hooking a MONSTER musky right beside the boat as I lifted my crankbait out of the water. He slapped his tail off the boat and snapped me off in 2 seconds. I know where he lives and will be back with sufficient gear. LoL

krayfish2 wrote:
Well, just as the J and Susky dropped....boom, right back up. Between me and a few other forum members, 7-8 floats and only a handful of fish. It really needs to drop a foot, clear and warm up. Fish caught were not related to structure but we're very random roamers in flat featureless pools.

Side note was hooking a MONSTER musky right beside the boat as I lifted my crankbait out of the water. He slapped his tail off the boat and snapped me off in 2 seconds. I know where he lives and will be back with sufficient gear. LoL

^ No doubt!

Hot, but fairly dry weather predicted for the next week, but the wild card is the possibility of tropical storm moisture to reach us by the middle of next week. Hopefully the storm will go the other way and give us some time to dry out and get somewhere near normal.

I usually like brookies in tiny, steep mountain streams. Because those streams have been running too high, have visited flatter tiny streams and catching browns and brookies. That has gone well.

This is hard to believe but the SW region of PA is ahead of last years record breaking precipitation total thus far this year.

Big Bad Barry is Pa. bound. He is still dumping rain along the Gulf Coast
.https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/tropical-storm-barry-could-bring-2-feet-of-rain-disastrous-flooding-to-louisiana/ar-AAEel6B?ocid=spartandhp
Good Luck. GG

acristickid wrote:
This is hard to believe but the SW region of PA is ahead of last years record breaking precipitation total thus far this year.

The SE is even worse shape. The monsoons yesterday caused some people to be rescued in boats. Just about all the rivers and streams are flooded. Just to get the picture, the Skuke's normal reading for this day is 1280, right now it's at 52,000! Really ugly!

Yeah, we had some crazy flooding around here yesterday too.
Seems like we're getting so called "once every hundred year" floods, almost every year now

We got at least 6 inches of rain Saturday morning which resulted in the river reappearing through my pasture and backyard.

Had I known there were actually fish in it, I might have given it a shot.

No, seriously. While mowing yesterday (after the river mostly subsided) I spotted at least a couple doesn't small dead bluegills that obviously came from my neibors pond, unless of course they were going the wong way.;-)

Fish the Del year round. Last Tues was the 1st time this year I could do my usual spot hopping - 3 ave SM, 1 Striped, 1 bullhead. It's blown out again.

FarmerDave wrote:
We got at least 6 inches of rain Saturday morning which resulted in the river reappearing through my pasture and backyard.

Had I known there were actually fish in it, I might have given it a shot.

No, seriously. While mowing yesterday (after the river mostly subsided) I spotted at least a couple doesn't small dead bluegills that obviously came from my neibors pond, unless of course they were going the wong way.;-)

Too funny!

Just saw a report on local news, that the Pittsburgh area is currently over 2" ahead of last years record rainfall amount.

All the rain over the weekend did bring a nice cool front in yesterday.
Was able to turn the AC off this morning, for the first time in a while

Back