Is this year going to be another washout?

Bill not sure if you remember the tornados that hit May 31,1985, in western PA? I was living in Indiana, PA at the time and it was pretty wild night.

No tornados in Indiana that evening, but the wind and storms really fierce in many other counties. Of course, no Internet so nobody really knew what was going on or the extent. I think in all ~40 tornados, 50 people killed and there are still signs of where they hit. If you drive along Quehanna Hwy near Piper and Wycoff Run you can still see what looks like some clear cut, but its where the tornado cut across the highway.

I've seen funnel clouds two days in a row now.

And those May 31, 1985 storms included a mile wide F4 that totaled our cabin, though I was only 5 years old. Was a different one than the long track Moshannon one, but may have been the same cell.

Dave -

Yeah, I remember it well
A tornado touched down on Mt Washington - just above "dahntahn" Pittsburgh.
The only time I can remember one being that close to the center of the city

Ground water data for Centre County.

wz2TptN.jpg

zx6QJuC.jpg

I'm assuming that the porous limestone in Centre County can hold considerably more water, and this is why Spring Creek has been holding so high even when the others drop. (Theory only)

Hi All - I mentioned previously that I have a spot at Poe Paddy this weekend. By the looks of it, Penns will be blown out for the weekend & beyond.

My question for folks that know Central PA well, will the class A freestoners be blown out as well? Trying to decide if it is worth the trip from Philadelphia.

Thanks!

David

dwa111 wrote:
Hi All - I mentioned previously that I have a spot at Poe Paddy this weekend. By the looks of it, Penns will be blown out for the weekend & beyond.

My question for folks that know Central PA well, will the class A freestoners be blown out as well? Trying to decide if it is worth the trip from Philadelphia.

Thanks!

David

Here is a report from Penss Creek Angler from 20 minutes ago >

Penns Creek Angler
22 mins ·
Thursday 1pm. The creek has turned chocolate. A couple fish are eating on top, but its pretty bad. The Drakes are floating down the creek fluttering and making a commotion and nothing much eating them. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm headed to the brook trout streams for the rest of the day. No sense making a trip to Penn's Today.

If you are looking to fish Penns, chances are the stream will be tough to fish. I'm sure there will be other places to fish, but camping at Poe Paddy makes most of them a good drive to get to many of them. The decision is yours.

I am local. Just got back from a quick check on Penns. Caught a couple but it was serious work to get a few eats. Total blow out and raining here right now. As of now small streams are up but clear. This event today may ruin some of them as well. Really depends how small of a stream you are desiring to fish to find clear water.

Listen to Gunny Highway

Attachments

• gunny highway.jpg
    gunny highway.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 4
Scientists throughout the world realize our climate is changing, but chump doesn't believe them.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give it a shot. There are tons of good streams within an hours plus camping at PP never disappoints.

Glad you are still going to give it a try - there is always somewhere fishable in Central PA! It just may not be the large, famous streams. Mountain brook trout streams run clear within a matter of hours after a torrential rain, if they even get muddy at all.

dwa111 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give it a shot. There are tons of good streams within an hours plus camping at PP never disappoints.

Don't completely rule out fishing Penns - even if it's high and brown.

Because green drakes are so large, I've encountered fish taking them on the surface in high, muddy water.
You just need to look in the right places.
Check the largest, slowest pools - usually along the banks, where the water isn't gushing so much.

An added bonus - most fishermen think that the stream isn't fishable under those conditions.
And you could find yourself fishing in relative solitude - during the usually carnival like scene there at green drake time

"Scientists throughout the world realize our climate is changing, but chump doesn't believe them."

Climate is always changing ---from the tropical prehistoric times, to multiple ice ages to now.

Whether man significantly contributes to the change is one of the questions. Unless we are all ready to live without modern conveniences like heated homes, air conditioning, cars, and abundant food to name a few. We need to accept it.

Everything there correct. Climate was always changing. Mix of natural and manmade.

The extent of which is manmade is certainly debated, but it's pretty clear that (scientifically) we're not talking a debate between a little bit and a lot. It's a lot. i.e. is man 80% responsible or 99.999% for observed warming? The low numbers are politically motivated, as all things political end up as people taking extreme sides on both ends.

I do agree though, that the same people that are preaching "do something!!!" aren't ready for what would need to happen. Can we still have heated homes, air conditioning, cars, abundant food? With zero emissions. No. With reduced emissions, yes, but it will cost considerably more with questionable actual impact since we are only a small portion of the globe. And those costs will hit the poor the hardest. And a market leads not by company's or government, but by people's choices. So to make change you have to have people willing to voluntarily pay more for what they already have. That's tough. It happens some with the rich and middle class, as you see the rise of electric vehicles and solar panels and people putting geothermal wells in and the like. But getting it more widespread through early adoption and getting costs down to the masses will be a slow process. As is most things political, it doesn't boil down to a "do something" or "do nothing" question. It boils down to a "how much, how fast" question. We need to address it with both prevention and adaptation. We should limit global warming to the degree that's realistic, as well as be prepared to adapt to a changing climate. In the end, it's about what hurts more? Adapting to climate change or massive economic impact of solving it? Frankly, that's not as cut and dry a question as either liberals or conservatives like to portray it. And the real path forward is a little bit of both. Which, we're doing here in the U.S. Emissions per person are down considerably over the last 10-20 years and overall we've done better than most countries. Leading the world in electric vehicle innovation to make them realistic. Fastest change in energy infrastructure.

But, this is all a hijack of this thread. A wet spring in PA should not be chalked up to climate change. That's weather, not climate. In this case a persistent trough in the southern jet out west kept cold air in place, with an equally persistent ridge over the gulf streaming warm humid air north. Cold air meets hot and humid = thunderstorms and severe weather in the Midwest and great lakes region. Same with hurricanes and everything else. Sure, over a period of multiple decades you may be able to say there were a few more or a few less hurricanes on average, that our climate got a little wetter or drier, or whatever else. But a storm or short term weather pattern (lasting weeks, months or even a few years) should not be blamed on climate change. They happen. Always have. Always will.

I thought it would be obvious that I was talking about change due to mankind.

dwa111 wrote:

Can go to the antique engine and tractor show at Penn's Cave if no streams work out.

My family in the area reports lot's of trees down along 192 and on the mountain roads around White Deer. Not sure about Poe and Paddy Mountains.

I'll be up this weekend to find out.

Looks like the old pcray is back!

Good! :pint:

What a great weekend for me to avoid the Poconos. The water is blown out from all of the recent rain. On top of that, it is the NASCAR Pocono 400 race, which will fill up all of the hotel rooms and restaurant tables/bar stools.

I am not convinced that me driving a SUV is really the reason why the climate constantly changes. I learned a long time ago taking a course in Environmental Geology at Juniata College in the late 70's/early 80's is that the planet is geologically 4.6 billion years old and there have been 9 ice ages, which were long before humans inhabited the planet.

I am always going to drive a 4X4 with my with my fly rod vault on top. I don't think that I am the problem since I know that I am an environmentalist who never litters. If I pack it in, I can pack it out.

Back