Is anyone aggravated with fly fishing for trout?

It's ok if your hearts not in FlyFishing ... But remember in the heavens Lefty ,Lee , A couple Arts , a couple Eds , a couple Charlie's , and definitely a Vince is passing judgement . Only kidding ..
Good one!

I hope this doesn't stir up a can of worms, this being a fly fishing forum. As a background, I did learn to fly fish for trout on a local stream with wild fish over 30 years ago. I really took to it with a beginner's obsession, got into tying flies which I thoroughly enjoyed, had a seine to capture insects, and had a decent amount of success at it. Mostly midges, caddis, and nymphs. I did it heavily for about 4 years, especially when I became laid off and was collecting unemployment - that was my initial learning period. Somehow I got away from it after that though I would occasionally fly fish for bluegills and still do.

Fast forward to the present. I did try terrestrial fly fishing last year and did ok with that, enjoyable. I'll probably just stick with that. I find as I've gotten older I just don't have the patience to deal with changing tippets, flies, presentations and weighting, etc. My eyes are not what they used to be nor my hands as steady. I bought a pair of those clip on magnifying glasses for my hat but have found that the glasses are so far forward it's hard to focus. I think a pair of reading glasses put on when I don't have my prescription sunglasses on would do better.

Finally I may take some flak for this, but I like to use my spinning rod to throw jerk baits (plastic) for trout and I do well overall. I'll say that I might see more trout that are in the stream, because they love to chase and the jerk bait will draw them out. It is within the rules and regulations where I fish. I mash down my barbs and give the trout some time to rest in the net submerged before releasing them. I wish I had more patience, or maybe more specifically, more facility, to match the hatch and fish the smaller stuff. I will say that my method involves a lot of casting and moving along where I see fly fishing as a more static stay in place kind of thing where you can really spend some time and pick things apart before casting.

I see older gents out on the stream ( I'm 67 now ) that move slowly, but it's the perfect thing for them to slowly fly fish and take their time. I was fishing on a pool the other day where an older gentleman with a straw hat and a pipe, was fly fishing in the pool above me and he was curious about what I was doing. I caught one trout and then another. He sat on a log and looked at me. It was more than a casual watching, more of a stare and glare. I don't think he liked it, and I moved on because I don't like people staring directly at me unflinchingly while I'm fishing.

I hooked a giant of a trout during May of last year that I believe would have gone over 25 inches, lots of fight with a necessary loosened drag. My mistake was focusing too much on the netting part, and not enough on playing him properly and leaving the net in the water until it was finally time to get him in.

I'm not advocating that anyone take up spinning or fish the way I do. I want to give the fly fishing a go again with some simplified ideas. I will definitely fish the terrestrials again as just having a single fly and working from run to run is not that bad. Maybe there are similar ways to fish other flies that don't involve so much of the tippet and fly changes so often. I see a lot of older guys fly fishing and I wonder what their "system" is. Any input is definitely appreciated. I put an image in of that big trout from last year. Sure would love to get one on a fly.
Your approach and ethics are exceptional. I would only suggest avoiding treble hooks -- one hook is enough for trout. My method of flyfishing differs from yours -- I stalk, or you could say "hunt" trout so am on the move. There are only so many lies in the small freestone streams I prefer. Depending on the population, I will eat or share some, but never cutthroats, and if I catch an exceptionally large fish for the environment I am fishing, it goes back alive. I want the genetics passed on to offspring.

Your approach and ethics are exceptional. I would only suggest avoiding treble hooks -- one hook is enough for trout. My method of flyfishing differs from yours -- I stalk, or you could say "hunt" trout so am on the move. There are only so many lies in the small freestone streams I prefer. Depending on the population, I will eat or share some, but never cutthroats, and if I catch an exceptionally large fish for the environment I am fishing, it goes back alive. I want the genetics passed on to offspring.
Thanks much for the input.

Flyfishing for carp is therapeutic. Just sayin’!
Oh yeah, looking forward to that challenge - and the tippet will be a lot easier to see...

Here's a fish I caught 30 plus years ago on the same stream I fish now. I used to tie a streamer with a deerhair head, mylar body and zonker strip. Worked for this guy. Also made some saltwater poppers that I've never used. Have to change that.
Ha, I have that same old Cortland reel. That's a nice pumpkinseed too, love seeing them.

Ha, I have that same old Cortland reel. That's a nice pumpkinseed too, love seeing them.
That's a relic, think I bought it about 35 years ago. Pumpkinseeds are cool, I don't care what size they are.

I didn't read all.

Fish how you enjoy. I will say I am not much for "static" fishing either. I am antsy on a stream. I can't cast twice without taking at least a step unless there are rising fish in front of me. If free to move, I'll cover miles on the water in a day. If hemmed in by other fisherman, I'll drift from bottom to top of the stretch I have and repeat. My movement is similar regardless of the type of rod in my hand. I fish spinning rods/bait with my kids. I will fish spinners now and then when in like company or if things are up and discolored.

Sounds good, I'm off now have my spinning and fly rod. See how it goes.

Here’s one I caught a couple days ago off the baitcaster.

Attachments

• DD709C37-7F9F-46EF-BB3C-11580AD68A2F.jpeg
    DD709C37-7F9F-46EF-BB3C-11580AD68A2F.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 24
I don't use spinning gear for trout anymore. In fact, I don't fly fish for trout that much anymore. My balance isn't what it use to be and I'm leery of wading. Of course if I find a large comfortable rock on a nice stretch of water, I'll sit my butt on it and fly fish. I fly fish 90% of the time, if I'm fishing from a boat I always have a spinning rod with me. I just enjoy fishing. I mainly tie flies, but I've gotten into making hair, bucktail and marabou jigs along with in-line Mepps style spinners for the guys I fish with. In fact, I tied up a box of the same style jigs on 1/32 and 1/20 oz jigs to use with my fly rod and a half-dozen "Ned" jigs to try out this year.

I don't use spinning gear for trout anymore. In fact, I don't fly fish for trout that much anymore. My balance isn't what it use to be and I'm leery of wading. Of course if I find a large comfortable rock on a nice stretch of water, I'll sit my butt on it and fly fish. I fly fish 90% of the time, if I'm fishing from a boat I always have a spinning rod with me. I just enjoy fishing. I mainly tie flies, but I've gotten into making hair, bucktail and marabou jigs along with in-line Mepps style spinners for the guys I fish with. In fact, I tied up a box of the same style jigs on 1/32 and 1/20 oz jigs to use with my fly rod and a half-dozen "Ned" jigs to try out this year.
I know about the balance, I'm still relatively ok wading but it's the slog through the brush and scampering up banks and around tree limbs that get me. Always good to make your own stuff, I tie crappie jigs every winter and a fly I found online the "squirminator". It's a killer for bluegills and other kinds of sunfish. A lot of times I'll fish it under a trout magnet bobber with my ultralight spinning and it's deadly when all the sunnies are spawning, won't be long.

I got out today and it was a tough day, all kinds of people out and about being the weekend, and the pool I chose to fly fish had another guy up about 50 yards up walking downstream in the middle of the pool, I had to scratch my head. I caught one little trout on a jerk bait before that and the bigger fish that usually flash were not doing anything today. It's time to switch up where I'm fishing to lakes and the local creek that has nice smallies and give that a shot. I want to thank you for the replies as it's great not just to talk about fly fishing but any fishing you do that you enjoy.

In parting, I'll just say that for now I'll just stick with spinning for trout. Current, trees, changing flies, still felt exasperated today, but bluegill, bass and carp will be in. Here are 2 video clips of the big one last month and the nice one on Friday. Tight lines... I'll still be checking out stuff here and commenting if I can help.

"Is anyone aggravated with fly fishing for trout?"

Yes, I am.

I am aggravated in that I haven't had the opportunity to fly fish for trout in quite some time? Yes, I think aggravated is the right word. I used to be just frustrated, but after at least three years, aggravation is the right word.

Also, I am frustrated that I can't go to the jam.

There is one stocked stream within a half hour from the farm, but it isn't all that enjoyable.

The last time I purchased a PA fishing license was 2020. I even purchased the combo stamp. I think I fished in PA a grand total of once that year, and it was bait fishing for panfish.

Since then, the only fishing I have done is on my own property, and explains why I don't post on the general forum very often anymore.

You appreciate things much more when you can't do it. I am physically and financially able. Lets leave it at that and don't ask.

Disclaimer: I am an all tackle angler but prefer fly fishing when it comes to trout. To each their own. In fact, the last wild trout I caught was on bait because I didn't have my fly gear with me (borrowed a spinning rod that day). I normally C&R the wild trout, but that one was hooked deep, so I stopped fishing and ate it. Very tasty.

Last edited:
I don't even care if you use a crappie pole as long as you don't call it Tenkara. ;)

We choose to catch the trouts and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

We choose to catch the trouts and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
I don't give up too easily. Spinning is easier for me but more physically demanding with the constant casting and moving on, but worth it - at some point I'll give the fly fishing for trout another go, especially when it's terrestrial time.

The amount of "moving on", I just don't see a parallel with fly vs. spin. You can grow roots and cast or move constantly with either technique. The type of tackle just isn't connected with how long you stay in one spot.

Back