Is anyone aggravated with fly fishing for trout?

I took up fly casting a couple decades ago and never looked back. I would rather be skunked on flies than catch a trout on bait or spinners. But that's just me.
You stuck with it and developed a passion, you do you - sounds great. Wish I had stayed with it after my initial phase, but I haven't forgotten what I learned. You've all given me inspiration to get back to it in some easy ways that I'm sure will work.

I don't own a spinning outfit but I don't disparage others from using them. Fishing is a pastime, a hobby, an escape. Enjoy!
I will, thank you! As an aside I already mentioned on the carp thread I'm going to give that a go and will also try some poppers and streamers for smallmouth this year.

I see fly fishing as a more static stay in place kind of thing where you can really spend some time and pick things apart before casting.

The guys who spend a tone of time standing in one spot rarely catch many fish regardless of method.

The most effective piece of trout fishing gear is a good set of legs.

Hey Fishnmusician, fly-fishing is just like playing an instrument as a musician; it takes a lot of practice and experience to get good at it, but once you reach a certain level, it all comes rather easy and things begin to flow without even thinking about it. Keep at it and most importantly, have fun!

The guys who spend a tone of time standing in one spot rarely catch many fish regardless of method.

The most effective piece of trout fishing gear is a good set of legs.
I agree, I move around and cover a lot of ground. There is a best pool on the creek I fish. It gets tons of pressure because there are many selective fish but they are smart. I don't know how many times I've seen one guy in that pool standing in the same spot an hour and a half later if I walk back down the other way.

Hey Fishnmusician, fly-fishing is just like playing an instrument as a musician; it takes a lot of practice and experience to get good at it, but once you reach a certain level, it all comes rather easy and things begin to flow without even thinking about it. Keep at it and most importantly, have fun!
I identify, thank you! I used to do pretty good, just have to oil the rust!

Your a true angler my friend. What you said sounds a lot like me. I cut my eye teeth trout fishing as a young lad. Trout fished almost exclusively into my late Teen years when trout started to bore me. Thankfully I found angling as a whole to be way more enjoyable when I didn’t pigeon hole myself to just one species and one method. So, like you, I spin fish, ice fish, fly fish, and I fish for carp, catfish, bass, flounder, trout and pretty much anything else that swims in fresh or saltwater. The gear I use is totally dependent on what I believe is my best chance of catching fish. Being a purist means I would miss out on fish like this caught on my boat on Thursday. I can tell you this fish and where it was caught probably would not even have been hooked on a fly rod. Enjoy fishing however you like, I like everything about angling.

Attachments

• BB7596E2-5949-4F1D-B497-DB49CA957078.jpeg
    BB7596E2-5949-4F1D-B497-DB49CA957078.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 14
I’m not to much into trout fishing anymore will get out a couple weeks around opening to try for them. I just fly fish for them. As for what I’m into now is Muskie so I’ll fly fish, baitcast, and spin for them whatever it takes to get one to bite. There’s times I’ll just take the spin gear just to relax and sit there for carp or catfish. No reason to get aggravated over it lol just take a couple deep breaths put it down for a little bit then try again.

I don't own a spinning outfit but I don't disparage others from using them. Fishing is a pastime, a hobby, an escape. Enjoy!
I hope this doesn't stir up a can of worms, this being a fly fishing forum. As a background, I did learn to fly fish for trout on a local stream with wild fish over 30 years ago. I really took to it with a beginner's obsession, got into tying flies which I thoroughly enjoyed, had a seine to capture insects, and had a decent amount of success at it. Mostly midges, caddis, and nymphs. I did it heavily for about 4 years, especially when I became laid off and was collecting unemployment - that was my initial learning period. Somehow I got away from it after that though I would occasionally fly fish for bluegills and still do.

Fast forward to the present. I did try terrestrial fly fishing last year and did ok with that, enjoyable. I'll probably just stick with that. I find as I've gotten older I just don't have the patience to deal with changing tippets, flies, presentations and weighting, etc. My eyes are not what they used to be nor my hands as steady. I bought a pair of those clip on magnifying glasses for my hat but have found that the glasses are so far forward it's hard to focus. I think a pair of reading glasses put on when I don't have my prescription sunglasses on would do better.

Finally I may take some flak for this, but I like to use my spinning rod to throw jerk baits (plastic) for trout and I do well overall. I'll say that I might see more trout that are in the stream, because they love to chase and the jerk bait will draw them out. It is within the rules and regulations where I fish. I mash down my barbs and give the trout some time to rest in the net submerged before releasing them. I wish I had more patience, or maybe more specifically, more facility, to match the hatch and fish the smaller stuff. I will say that my method involves a lot of casting and moving along where I see fly fishing as a more static stay in place kind of thing where you can really spend some time and pick things apart before casting.

I see older gents out on the stream ( I'm 67 now ) that move slowly, but it's the perfect thing for them to slowly fly fish and take their time. I was fishing on a pool the other day where an older gentleman with a straw hat and a pipe, was fly fishing in the pool above me and he was curious about what I was doing. I caught one trout and then another. He sat on a log and looked at me. It was more than a casual watching, more of a stare and glare. I don't think he liked it, and I moved on because I don't like people staring directly at me unflinchingly while I'm fishing.

I hooked a giant of a trout during May of last year that I believe would have gone over 25 inches, lots of fight with a necessary loosened drag. My mistake was focusing too much on the netting part, and not enough on playing him properly and leaving the net in the water until it was finally time to get him in.

I'm not advocating that anyone take up spinning or fish the way I do. I want to give the fly fishing a go again with some simplified ideas. I will definitely fish the terrestrials again as just having a single fly and working from run to run is not that bad. Maybe there are similar ways to fish other flies that don't involve so much of the tippet and fly changes so often. I see a lot of older guys fly fishing and I wonder what their "system" is. Any input is definitely appreciated. I put an image in of that big trout from last year. Sure would love to get one on a fly.
I am a little younger than you but up there. My eye sight is failing and I have mobility problems, but we are blessed with tons of easy access streams. not sure where you are located but send me a pm may be I can show you some. Things as one old guy to another

I had strictly FF'd the past 8-10 years but this season, I fixed up a free to me Coleman Crawdad jonboat. I took it out to Brady's Lake on Wed. Took my son out of school early. That day catching bass, pickerel, bluegill, and perch with my son on spinning gear was better than any day I've had FFing in the past many years!

I grew up in Montana where I was taught by both my Dad (hard-tackle fisherman) & my Step-dad (fly fisherman) how to fish. What I came to realize is that both were passionate OUTDOORSMEN, who followed the regs and respected the fish/sport. I now live in Bozeman, MT where we have a mixed bag of respectful fly fisherman and the elitists who think they are God's gift to the water. My advice to you: If being outdoors & catching fish makes you happy then keep doing your thing, you-do-you, forget what anyone else thinks. I would much prefer having a riverside conversation (or an adult refreshment) with a guy like yourself than some of the elitist snobs I encounter on the river these days!

Fish however you please. I'll gladly toss jigs for crappies in the spring and Rapalas for walleyes. When I had a boat I'd drift crawlers and troll all summer. Whatever works for ya and as long as your having fun.

Your a true angler my friend. What you said sounds a lot like me. I cut my eye teeth trout fishing as a young lad. Trout fished almost exclusively into my late Teen years when trout started to bore me. Thankfully I found angling as a whole to be way more enjoyable when I didn’t pigeon hole myself to just one species and one method. So, like you, I spin fish, ice fish, fly fish, and I fish for carp, catfish, bass, flounder, trout and pretty much anything else that swims in fresh or saltwater. The gear I use is totally dependent on what I believe is my best chance of catching fish. Being a purist means I would miss out on fish like this caught on my boat on Thursday. I can tell you this fish and where it was caught probably would not even have been hooked on a fly rod. Enjoy fishing however you like, I like everything about angling.
Thank you I identify with what you say. I started in my young teens fishing and have never looked back. I also am an all around fisherman. I didn't get into trout seriously truthfully until I was in my early thirties, and I bought my first fly rod which was and still is an Orvis Fullflex fiberglass 8 foot rod, for a 7 weight line. I've got 3 others. From here I started fly fishing for bluegills in ponds and got bitten by the bug for trout. I really got into tying flies. The only flies I tie now are for bluegills and sometimes I make a wooly bugger type jig for trout.

That is a behemoth striper. I've made yearly trips down to the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay (Chester River) in the Fall. I've got 4 kayaks and have been kayak fishing for 21 years now. Good fishing for stripers, white perch and even big yellow perch. None approaching that size but love the stripers. I also fish hard for smallmouth bass every year and usually get a few in the 18 to 19 inch range, lost a 20 plus last year. I stay secret about where I fish for those bass. I can't say enough about fishing and the overall experience no matter what you are fishing for or how you want to do it.

I talked to a few real old timers out on the stream last year and the one guy kind of lectured me about spinning, and maybe this is where the perception all took root. I'm relieved to hear the open attitude that most have here and it gives me a new perspective and freedom to do what I want as long as it's within the rules, and handle the fish as gently as possible. With the price of gas now, it's nice to stay close to home with a quality stream.

Attachments

• bigfallsmlls.jpg
    bigfallsmlls.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 9
  • beastly6.jpg
    beastly6.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 7
I’m not to much into trout fishing anymore will get out a couple weeks around opening to try for them. I just fly fish for them. As for what I’m into now is Muskie so I’ll fly fish, baitcast, and spin for them whatever it takes to get one to bite. There’s times I’ll just take the spin gear just to relax and sit there for carp or catfish. No reason to get aggravated over it lol just take a couple deep breaths put it down for a little bit then try again.
Yes you're so right, breathe easy and enjoy. Here's a musky I got back in 2018. I've caught 3 muskies incidentally while fishing for bass in the last 4 years.

Attachments

• pureb3.jpg
    pureb3.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 5
Fish however you please. I'll gladly toss jigs for crappies in the spring and Rapalas for walleyes. When I had a boat I'd drift crawlers and troll all summer. Whatever works for ya and as long as your having fun.
I got you, I do anything that works - jig under a bobber for spawning crappie, and I like to vertical jig little spoons for white perch in a local lake.

I am a little younger than you but up there. My eye sight is failing and I have mobility problems, but we are blessed with tons of easy access streams. not sure where you are located but send me a pm may be I can show you some. Things as one old guy to another
Sounds good.

I had strictly FF'd the past 8-10 years but this season, I fixed up a free to me Coleman Crawdad jonboat. I took it out to Brady's Lake on Wed. Took my son out of school early. That day catching bass, pickerel, bluegill, and perch with my son on spinning gear was better than any day I've had FFing in the past many years!
Nothing like spending quality time with your son, and that kind of fishing is just plain fun.

I grew up in Montana where I was taught by both my Dad (hard-tackle fisherman) & my Step-dad (fly fisherman) how to fish. What I came to realize is that both were passionate OUTDOORSMEN, who followed the regs and respected the fish/sport. I now live in Bozeman, MT where we have a mixed bag of respectful fly fisherman and the elitists who think they are God's gift to the water. My advice to you: If being outdoors & catching fish makes you happy then keep doing your thing, you-do-you, forget what anyone else thinks. I would much prefer having a riverside conversation (or an adult refreshment) with a guy like yourself than some of the elitist snobs I encounter on the river these days!
Thanks, down to earth fishing is what I like my own way which has worked for me. Takes too much energy to power fish anymore but I've adapted with finesse tactics that just work. The elitists can stay that way, I don't care at this point and why should I?

Here's a fish I caught 30 plus years ago on the same stream I fish now. I used to tie a streamer with a deerhair head, mylar body and zonker strip. Worked for this guy. Also made some saltwater poppers that I've never used. Have to change that.

Attachments

• flytie7.jpg
    flytie7.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 8
  • flytie3.jpg
    flytie3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
  • flytie4.jpg
    flytie4.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 9
  • flytie5.jpg
    flytie5.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 8
  • flytie6.jpg
    flytie6.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 8
It's ok if your hearts not in FlyFishing ... But remember in the heavens Lefty ,Lee , A couple Arts , a couple Eds , a couple Charlie's , and definitely a Vince is passing judgement . Only kidding ..

Back