Is anyone aggravated with fly fishing for trout?

Fishnmusicn

Fishnmusicn

I hope this doesn't stir up a can of worms, this being a fly fishing forum. As a background, I did learn to fly fish for trout on a local stream with wild fish over 30 years ago. I really took to it with a beginner's obsession, got into tying flies which I thoroughly enjoyed, had a seine to capture insects, and had a decent amount of success at it. Mostly midges, caddis, and nymphs. I did it heavily for about 4 years, especially when I became laid off and was collecting unemployment - that was my initial learning period. Somehow I got away from it after that though I would occasionally fly fish for bluegills and still do.

Fast forward to the present. I did try terrestrial fly fishing last year and did ok with that, enjoyable. I'll probably just stick with that. I find as I've gotten older I just don't have the patience to deal with changing tippets, flies, presentations and weighting, etc. My eyes are not what they used to be nor my hands as steady. I bought a pair of those clip on magnifying glasses for my hat but have found that the glasses are so far forward it's hard to focus. I think a pair of reading glasses put on when I don't have my prescription sunglasses on would do better.

Finally I may take some flak for this, but I like to use my spinning rod to throw jerk baits (plastic) for trout and I do well overall. I'll say that I might see more trout that are in the stream, because they love to chase and the jerk bait will draw them out. It is within the rules and regulations where I fish. I mash down my barbs and give the trout some time to rest in the net submerged before releasing them. I wish I had more patience, or maybe more specifically, more facility, to match the hatch and fish the smaller stuff. I will say that my method involves a lot of casting and moving along where I see fly fishing as a more static stay in place kind of thing where you can really spend some time and pick things apart before casting.

I see older gents out on the stream ( I'm 67 now ) that move slowly, but it's the perfect thing for them to slowly fly fish and take their time. I was fishing on a pool the other day where an older gentleman with a straw hat and a pipe, was fly fishing in the pool above me and he was curious about what I was doing. I caught one trout and then another. He sat on a log and looked at me. It was more than a casual watching, more of a stare and glare. I don't think he liked it, and I moved on because I don't like people staring directly at me unflinchingly while I'm fishing.

I hooked a giant of a trout during May of last year that I believe would have gone over 25 inches, lots of fight with a necessary loosened drag. My mistake was focusing too much on the netting part, and not enough on playing him properly and leaving the net in the water until it was finally time to get him in.

I'm not advocating that anyone take up spinning or fish the way I do. I want to give the fly fishing a go again with some simplified ideas. I will definitely fish the terrestrials again as just having a single fly and working from run to run is not that bad. Maybe there are similar ways to fish other flies that don't involve so much of the tippet and fly changes so often. I see a lot of older guys fly fishing and I wonder what their "system" is. Any input is definitely appreciated. I put an image in of that big trout from last year. Sure would love to get one on a fly.

Attachments

• giantrout11.jpg
    giantrout11.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 139
Dude, fish however/where ever you want!!! Theres nothing wrong with any of it!!! Flyfishing is fun but so is baitfishing, lure/spin fishing whatever ya like!!

I baitfish all the time for trout, and love every minute of it. I fish almost all wild trout waters and see fly fisherman and other bait fisherman and most dudes are pretty respectful. Theres always some idiots on either side of the equation, dont waste a second worrying about them!!

Have Fun!!

Sit back and relax. There is no right or wrong way to fly fish. We do it because we enjoy it.

You need to establish what your goal is when you enter the water. That goal may be different every time you fish. There is a saying that fisherman go through 4 stages. 1 is catch a fish, any fish. 2 catch lots of fish. 3 catch large fish. 4. Catch fish a certain way. A fifth stage may be give back to the sport either by mentoring or take on some conservation interest.

Where you are in that spectrum depends on the day. There are days when I enjoy dry flies and catch a bunch. I position myself in a likely pool and spend the time there. Other days I try to target those tuff spots to get those 1 or 2 trout that live in tricky lies. Some days I just enjoy fishing classic wet flies on an old family bamboo rod the way my family did in the past. I even drift red worms on that rod when conditions are right the way my uncle showed me. Still other days I'll walk 3 or 4 miles of river casting nymphs only in prime lies. I call this search and destroy.

You can make can fly fishing as simple or complicated as you like. Modern competition anglers really use fairly simple flies and don't worry so much about matching the hatch but are obsessed with presentation. There are also diehards that the thought of fishing a weighted fly is heresy. They count tails, abdomen segments, even gonad size and locations on nymphs to make sure they are matching the right fly.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying slow down and have fun. Learn something during your time on the stream, even if it's that certain flowers or trees are blooming early or late this year.

If you are not enjoying your time on the water, you will eventually stop fishing.

I agree with the above. I still spin fish now and again and have found fishing Senkos at times is a very successful approach to get large browns. Like jig fishing as well, but that is more and more a fly game too. My main run and gun fly technique uses streamers, but the nymph to the hot spots sure works. Other days I want to check out all the spots few people fish to find new spots. Most days that is slow, but very rewarding when I can find a new place to fish

Dude, fish however/where ever you want!!! Theres nothing wrong with any of it!!! Flyfishing is fun but so is baitfishing, lure/spin fishing whatever ya like!!

I baitfish all the time for trout, and love every minute of it. I fish almost all wild trout waters and see fly fisherman and other bait fisherman and most dudes are pretty respectful. Theres always some idiots on either side of the equation, dont waste a second worrying about them!!

Have Fun!!
Thanks for the reassurance, I need to lighten up! lol...

I agree with the above. I still spin fish now and again and have found fishing Senkos at times is a very successful approach to get large browns. Like jig fishing as well, but that is more and more a fly game too. My main run and gun fly technique uses streamers, but the nymph to the hot spots sure works. Other days I want to check out all the spots few people fish to find new spots. Most days that is slow, but very rewarding when I can find a new place to fish
Senkos, interesting. I also fish for smallmouth bass hard from May through October and senkos are hard to beat. I've become a run and gun kind of guy, but it's good to sit and take a break now and then.

Sit back and relax. There is no right or wrong way to fly fish. We do it because we enjoy it.

You need to establish what your goal is when you enter the water. That goal may be different every time you fish. There is a saying that fisherman go through 4 stages. 1 is catch a fish, any fish. 2 catch lots of fish. 3 catch large fish. 4. Catch fish a certain way. A fifth stage may be give back to the sport either by mentoring or take on some conservation interest.

Where you are in that spectrum depends on the day. There are days when I enjoy dry flies and catch a bunch. I position myself in a likely pool and spend the time there. Other days I try to target those tuff spots to get those 1 or 2 trout that live in tricky lies. Some days I just enjoy fishing classic wet flies on an old family bamboo rod the way my family did in the past. I even drift red worms on that rod when conditions are right the way my uncle showed me. Still other days I'll walk 3 or 4 miles of river casting nymphs only in prime lies. I call this search and destroy.

You can make can fly fishing as simple or complicated as you like. Modern competition anglers really use fairly simple flies and don't worry so much about matching the hatch but are obsessed with presentation. There are also diehards that the thought of fishing a weighted fly is heresy. They count tails, abdomen segments, even gonad size and locations on nymphs to make sure they are matching the right fly.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying slow down and have fun. Learn something during your time on the stream, even if it's that certain flowers or trees are blooming early or late this year.

If you are not enjoying your time on the water, you will eventually stop fishing.
Good advice, thanks. I always enjoy it.

I often keep my spinning rod and a box of spinners in my car when I hit the streams, especially early in the season. If I'm getting skunked, that's usually the difference between finding a fish or not. Sure a streamer might accomplish the same, but it's a confidence thing. I find I put the spinning rod away come mid-may. I also stubbornly stick with my usual setup longer than I should, which is typically "Well, it worked last time..."

Fish how you want. The fish don't care and neither should we.

Senkos, interesting. I also fish for smallmouth bass hard from May through October and senkos are hard to beat. I've become a run and gun kind of guy, but it's good to sit and take a break now and then.
I run and gun streamer fish all the time. No different than what you described above. I like to cover lots of water (so many choices so little time). You can also take up swinging wet flies and soft hackles, that's far from stationary as well. Leave the stationary stuff for when you hit a hatch....or for other guys.

I enjoy fishing for trout, period. I think even more than fishing for trout, I enjoy being in (most of) the places that trout are. How I fish for them is secondary - some days I feel like fooling them with a fly is the way to go. Other days, I'll fish a wooly bugger on a spinning rod (on small streams often). And some days, I'll chuck metal. Fish your own stream, however you want to.

I hope this doesn't stir up a can of worms, this being a fly fishing forum...

I'm not advocating that anyone take up spinning or fish the way I do. I want to give the fly fishing a go again with some simplified ideas. I will definitely fish the terrestrials again as just having a single fly and working from run to run is not that bad. Maybe there are similar ways to fish other flies that don't involve so much of the tippet and fly changes so often. I see a lot of older guys fly fishing and I wonder what their "system" is. Any input is definitely appreciated. I put an image in of that big trout from last year. Sure would love to get one on a fly.

It's all good!!

I have a couple of sweet vintage bamboo spinning rods I like to use on occasion and I JUST got a BFS (Bait Finesse System) baitcasting rod & reel. I use both to fish for trout at a few places where wading is impractical and using a fly rod from the bank is about impossible.

However, with this tackle I spend a LOT of time fishing nymphs, soft hackles and junk flies. I use small Pompano floats that I enlarge the hole on and I rig them up as slip floats with a bobber stop & bead so I can get the depth I want without feet of fishing line hanging out past the tip top.

Add a small split shot or two above the fly and you can cast just fine and work the runs like a fly fisherman!!

You can also use a slightly larger slip float and move the stopper & bead down about eighteen or so inches above a dry fly. Cast well above the fish so the splat of the float is less bothering and you can fish the terrestrials you like so much on a spinning rod!

Have fun!!

BTW Fishnmusicn: What's your axe?

I often keep my spinning rod and a box of spinners in my car when I hit the streams, especially early in the season. If I'm getting skunked, that's usually the difference between finding a fish or not. Sure a streamer might accomplish the same, but it's a confidence thing. I find I put the spinning rod away come mid-may. I also stubbornly stick with my usual setup longer than I should, which is typically "Well, it worked last time..."

Fish how you want. The fish don't care and neither should we.
Yes I don't know how I felt that my way would somehow be looked down upon. You've all given me confidence to keep fishing my way, and also to be flexible and try some other simple methods with no stress.

I run and gun streamer fish all the time. No different than what you described above. I like to cover lots of water (so many choices so little time). You can also take up swinging wet flies and soft hackles, that's far from stationary as well. Leave the stationary stuff for when you hit a hatch....or for other guys.
I used to swing wet flies way back when, worth a try simple method that works. Yes, I hit a lot of water with that run and gun method and get casts into places where it would be impossible to cast a fly with a flyrod. I was out for a few hours today. I only caught 2 fish but one was a beauty at about 18 or 19 inches. I'll see if I can upload it once I get my videos on the computer.

I enjoy fishing for trout, period. I think even more than fishing for trout, I enjoy being in (most of) the places that trout are. How I fish for them is secondary - some days I feel like fooling them with a fly is the way to go. Other days, I'll fish a wooly bugger on a spinning rod (on small streams often). And some days, I'll chuck metal. Fish your own stream, however you want to.
Thanks for the reassurance, time to stop overthinking lol...

It's all good!!

I have a couple of sweet vintage bamboo spinning rods I like to use on occasion and I JUST got a BFS (Bait Finesse System) baitcasting rod & reel. I use both to fish for trout at a few places where wading is impractical and using a fly rod from the bank is about impossible.

However, with this tackle I spend a LOT of time fishing nymphs, soft hackles and junk flies. I use small Pompano floats that I enlarge the hole on and I rig them up as slip floats with a bobber stop & bead so I can get the depth I want without feet of fishing line hanging out past the tip top.

Add a small split shot or two above the fly and you can cast just fine and work the runs like a fly fisherman!!

You can also use a slightly larger slip float and move the stopper & bead down about eighteen or so inches above a dry fly. Cast well above the fish so the splat of the float is less bothering and you can fish the terrestrials you like so much on a spinning rod!

Have fun!!

BTW Fishnmusicn: What's your axe?
Great idea, I was looking at those casting bubbles for ideas with flies on a spinning rod. I play guitar, keyboards and drums. I was a drummer in some bands back in the nineties, and the most recent was 2014, but the band split up. That was my last desire to play drums in a band but I still play electric drums and put my own stuff together with guitar and keyboards.

Do what you enjoy in terms of fishing. Fly fishing is no special means to find happiness in your free time. If you wish to explore it further, then do so if it makes you happy. It is a cost benefit type of situation. If the hassle of fly fishing outweighs the simplicity of spin casting based on any physical limitations you may have, then spin fish. If you want to fly fish and simplify your approach, then streamer fish. Use a streamer that replicates the baitfish in your target waters and given good conditions (low light/higher water) you are going to catch quality fish. Same applies to terrestrials, if you want to fish big hoppers/Beetles/ants, do so when they are readily available to the trout and you will have some success. Otherwise catch them on the spinning gear you are comfortable with. There is no right or wrong answer in terms of your leisure time. Enjoy it!!!

Do what you enjoy in terms of fishing. Fly fishing is no special means to find happiness in your free time. If you wish to explore it further, then do so if it makes you happy. It is a cost benefit type of situation. If the hassle of fly fishing outweighs the simplicity of spin casting based on any physical limitations you may have, then spin fish. If you want to fly fish and simplify your approach, then streamer fish. Use a streamer that replicates the baitfish in your target waters and given good conditions (low light/higher water) you are going to catch quality fish. Same applies to terrestrials, if you want to fish big hoppers/Beetles/ants, do so when they are readily available to the trout and you will have some success. Otherwise catch them on the spinning gear you are comfortable with. There is no right or wrong answer in terms of your leisure time. Enjoy it!!!
Thank you - you guys have been so accommodating, I appreciate it!

Here is the fish I caught my way today, really made my day. It's a shame that the GoPro camera makes the hands look so big, but this was a great fish. Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• bigbrown5-13-22-13-2.jpg
    bigbrown5-13-22-13-2.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 27
  • bigbrown5-13-22-1.jpg
    bigbrown5-13-22-1.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 28
  • bigbrown5-13-22-2.jpg
    bigbrown5-13-22-2.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 21
  • bigbrown5-13-22-6.jpg
    bigbrown5-13-22-6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 26
I took up fly casting a couple decades ago and never looked back. I would rather be skunked on flies than catch a trout on bait or spinners. But that's just me.

I don't own a spinning outfit but I don't disparage others from using them. Fishing is a pastime, a hobby, an escape. Enjoy!

Back