Huge Native!

I hooked into an absolute monster of a sucker on Penns one time. To this day it was still the hardest fight I have had on my 3wt. The fish took like 5 minutes to get in. Stuck right to the bottom and did not move. I too thought I had a monster brown on.
Caught a 22 inch one on Spring Creek 3 years ago. Biggest fish I have caught on Spring.

I mean, if we are transitioning this thread into a thread on fishing for suckers, primarily the white sucker, I will add this. Most all large, limestone influenced streams have large white suckers in them. Bigger rivers like the Juniata, Clarion, etc all have large white suckers in them. I have caught some bigguns and they fight pretty hard.

There is one very simple reason that they are not a "preferred gamefish." They are too tough to target and catch reliably. They are harder to catch than bass and trout. Their feeding patterns aren't easily deciphered by the angler and they don't just key on to a hatch or a certain baitfish, so to speak. They are just too darn challenging. Obviously they are down there sucking nymphs and other critters up but.....

I don't know if White Suckers have the pharyngeal teeth like the common carp, but hopefully they learn to crush and eat mudsnails. Carp are able to crush and eat hard shelled critters which would most likely make them be able to successfully consume the NZMS. If suckers can, too, that would be amazing. Maybe it could keep the snail count lower in Spring, raise the numbers of white suckers, and grow some monsters......

Nice fish!😁
Back some time, I was working up the crick and heard the " stringer jingle jangle" coming down towards me. After a few minutes this guy pops out of the brush with what looked like 2 nice browns and a smaller rainbow on the stringer. As he got closer I became certain that those browns were suckers. Guy says," Need two more for my limit."

Nice fish!😁
Back some time, I was working up the crick and heard the " stringer jingle jangle" coming down towards me. After a few minutes this guy pops out of the brush with what looked like 2 nice browns and a smaller rainbow on the stringer. As he got closer I became certain that those browns were suckers. Guy says," Need two more for my limit."
Suckers are an extremely popular fish to eat in certain parts of the country. They even have a spawning run, so to speak, in Missouri and they are popularly targeted there for their flesh.

In some parts of the world carp is a delicacy. I don't eat either. I eat catfish, walleyes, perch, and pike.
The sucker is a good fish,imo. Very underappreciated.

Well, I'll be posting a photo of a native... as promised to Ryan S. Chub in the mouth, cradling rod over the net. Bassackwards. Not looking forward to it but I'm a man of my word

Well, I'll be posting a photo of a native... as promised to Ryan S. Chub in the mouth, cradling rod over the net. Bassackwards. Not looking forward to it but I'm a man of my word

You need to practice holding your rod with your neck. This is the preferred pose for native minnow/sucker photography.

You should try tasty Brown Trout. Mhmmmm.
I ate trout once a week for probably 5 years. My Dad put me and my two brothers to work filling the freezers. After that I lost the taste. I won't eat them smoked, I will not eat them even if I was cold,hungry,and soaked. I won't eat them filleted and fried, I couldn't stomach them if I tried.

Fall fish can also fall into the huge native category. They are an under appreciated game fish on fly. It can stay that way quite honestly because I am ok with having countless river miles of 5-18” hard fighting fish that you can swing wets, strip streamers, nymph, and occasionally throw dry flies to.

Fall fish can also fall into the huge native category. They are an under appreciated game fish on fly. It can stay that way quite honestly because I am ok with having countless river miles of 5-18” hard fighting fish that you can swing wets, strip streamers, nymph, and occasionally throw dry flies to.

View attachment 1641229660
I am a big fan of fallfish and catch a lot of them every year in the Juniata. Sometimes I even target them on dry flies and a 4 weight. Good times.

You need to practice holding your rod with your neck. This is the preferred pose for native minnow/sucker photography.

Nope. This goes back to a thread from months ago. Consensus was Instagram hero shots with the rod and the teeth or rod balanced over the shoulders were super annoying. I remarked that I didn't hold the the rod in my teeth to pose with the fish but I actually hold the fish in my teeth to pose with the rod. He said I wouldn't do it, I said I would and I'm not looking forward to it. The vent will have to be facing outwards for obvious reasons if it's a chubb 🤣

Their in Spring, BIG too, I keep hoping to catch one, i think switching to drop shot with nymph dropper close to shot might be my best shot without sacrificing 200 nymphs to river gods. The ventrally oriented mouth presents an angling challenge but I think hopefully a potentially solve-able one to an extent.
I never complain when catching suckers (although it is rare for me), they give a great fight and some funny pictures. I see TONS of them on Spring, specifically just below Fishermen's Paradise, you will see huge pods of them going up/down or sitting underneath bridges.

I don’t think anyone will touch that now infamous golden rainbow fly rod over the shoulder photo that broke the internet from the stylishly dressed young man sporting the “blue steel” look from Zoolander. I can’t find the photo but that is the bar that none of us on this forum will ever surpass.

In some parts of the world carp is a delicacy. I don't eat either. I eat catfish, walleyes, perch, and pike.
The sucker is a good fish,imo. Very underappreciated.
From what I've been told (never tried them) suckers are good eating if you catch them where the water is cold and clear. They supposedly get gamey in warm or muddy water. I do remember people targeting them as well as eels in the early part of trout season.

This past February while fishing Penns, I spent some time talking to an old chap around Coburn. He was targeting suckers in a big hole. His bait of choice was worms. He keeps them and makes fish cakes. Said they are one of his favorites to eat. Told me he guts the fish, cuts out the big bones and grinds the rest up in a blender.

I lived in Hawaii for a time a while ago and what the Hawaiians there would do for bonefish(very very boney) was gut them, cut fillets, then get a dough roller and roll the fillets until the meat was separated off the bones and make fish cakes. Never ate one but should have. I used to fish for bonefish, ladyfish, tilapia, and barracuda in an old brackish water Japanese graveyard with a canal system and had the opportunity hist never the patience to actually process them.

Nope. This goes back to a thread from months ago. Consensus was Instagram hero shots with the rod and the teeth or rod balanced over the shoulders were super annoying. I remarked that I didn't hold the the rod in my teeth to pose with the fish but I actually hold the fish in my teeth to pose with the rod. He said I wouldn't do it, I said I would and I'm not looking forward to it. The vent will have to be facing outwards for obvious reasons if it's a chubb 🤣
I've been waiting patiently!!!

I've been waiting patiently!!!

It's going to happen sometime between Easter and 5/5. They don't start to get real active until that water temp is mid 50's. I'm dreading it and better have a beer handy to wash that native fish taste out of my pie hole.

Back