How’s your tying bench?

I was jokingly commenting about the roughly 15 fly rods in the pic that jeffroey shared of his tying bench.
Why did I need to explain it?
15 fly rods is enough... Still not getting the premise. ;)

FWIW- I do believe there's actually such a thing as having enough fly rods, some don't agree. Usually, folks with greater means than I possess. ;)

FWIW- I do believe there's actually such a thing as having enough fly rods, some don't agree. Usually, folks with greater means than I possess. ;)
Yea. It was my rod rack that spun this off. I do consider myself a little but of a fly rod collector. By that i mean I have a lot of, say 8' 4wts or 9' 5wts, all capable of doing the job. I just have a hard time letting go of the ones I don't really fish.

There's a couple of gems on my rack and in the rafters and my real concern is eventually my wife will have to sell them and I'm afraid she'll be selling them for what I TOLD her I paid for them . . .

Some have said they had a hard time keeping their tying materials organized or didn’t know how to store them. This is what I’ve come to depend on. The large boxes hold 16 individual boxes and are see through, so I know what is in each box before I open them. I get the boxes at Michael’s craft store. My big hint is not to buy them at full price ($49.99). They are perpetually going on sale for $14.99.
IMG 7475
IMG 7476
IMG 7478

Some have said they had a hard time keeping their tying materials organized or didn’t know how to store them. This is what I’ve come to depend on. The large boxes hold 16 individual boxes and are see through, so I know what is in each box before I open them. I get the boxes at Michael’s craft store. My big hint is not to buy them at full price ($49.99). They are perpetually going on sale for $14.99.
View attachment 1641235161View attachment 1641235162View attachment 1641235163
I need something exactly like this but a little bigger to organize and store my growing collection of capes and saddles.

My bench generally is a complete disaster area. It’s kind of like the “where’s Waldo of Flytying” if you pick it apart. It’s just the way I tie, and if I try to clean it up it’s just not normal and will quickly revert back to where it needs to be for my style. 😉

IMG 9825

Those boxes are great.....even if someone picks up just one. I use mine as a "To Go" box if I need to take a tying kit on the road. Makes it very easy to take every material I might need for a particular trip and keep it organized. 👍

As a takeoff to your recommendation of these plastic craft boxes to store a lot of your tying materials in, like many others I use a variety of this type of stand to keep my spools of tying threads, tinsels, and wires on:

Image1
Image0

However, I also have this type of plastic container, obtained from one of the craft stores that is designed specifically to carry spools of thread, and I like it even better. It is deeper, so you can carry different sized spools, and the pegs are long enough (they fit nearly to the top lid when it’s closed) so that the spools don’t fall off the pegs even when you turn the case on its side or up side down.

Image2
Image1

My wife has 7 sewing machines, a commercial embroidery machine, and a long arm quilting machine. She doesn’t have that many colors/types of thread. She might have you beat in yardage though.

By the way, those red Meiho boxes you can see in the lower left corner of the pic above are a killer deal for storing flies of all types and sizes. To get the best price, I've found that you need to purchase them directly from Meiho's website. They're a good quality, made in Japan, box. Meiho makes all sorts of other models, too.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

Meiho Box

I bought a Meiho tackle box last year and it is the nicest box I ever owned, bar none.

BTW - Angler Sport Group is also a distributor of certain Meiho items and they will sell direct.

If you want the best Meiho prices, check out FishingShop Kiwi IN Japan that is a Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) dealer who will sell & ship to the USA.

The freight looks steep until you build an order. Meiho USA is OK too but more expensive with a $100 minimum for free freight.

FWIW - I've bought a ton of fishing tackle stuff directly from JDM dealers with 100% satisfactory results, cheaper prices and the ability to get tackle items unavailable in the USA.

As a takeoff to your recommendation of these plastic craft boxes to store a lot of your tying materials in, like many others I use a variety of this type of stand to keep my spools of tying threads, tinsels, and wires on:

View attachment 1641235172View attachment 1641235173

However, I also have this type of plastic container, obtained from one of the craft stores that is designed specifically to carry spools of thread, and I like it even better. It is deeper, so you can carry different sized spools, and the pegs are long enough (they fit nearly to the top lid when it’s closed) so that the spools don’t fall off the pegs even when you turn the case on its side or up side down.

View attachment 1641235174View attachment 1641235175
I like that thread/bobbin stand.

My wife has 7 sewing machines, a commercial embroidery machine, and a long arm quilting machine. She doesn’t have that many colors/types of thread. She might have you beat in yardage though.

I’m not sure if you referring to my thread or to someone else. If you were commenting on the spools I showed pictures of, you’ll see that not all of them were thread, and a lot were spools of wire, tinsel, etc.

But, I do have more spools of thread that I I didn’t show pictures of. 😊

P.S. Your lucky because my wife only has one sewing machine, and when I ask her if she’d do some sewing on it for me she invariably says it’s not working.

My wife’s don’t sew denim, Carharts, or any mens clothing.

I like that thread/bobbin stand.
Terry Surra from Kersey, PA made that for me several years ago. It swivels on a turntable. He made the stand of unfinished cherry wood, and I stained and polyurethaned to finish it. I think it holds 84 spools of thread on the 4 sides, plus there’s 9 holes on top that I keep bobbins in.

I don’t know if he is still making the, but you can find him on Facebook. I have a wonderful trout sized net that he also made.

Reactions: JLB
Back