How’s your tying bench?

i clean mine now and then

tying-bench-4.jpg

MJMFlyfisher,

May I ask for details about the background plate shown in your pic? It looks to be a very high-quality piece of kit.

Also, how do you like the Laguna machine lamp? I had never seen one before, so I just looked it up online. The adjustable light color (i.e., temperature) and brightness control are nice features.

Thank you.

Last edited:
UPGRADE.

View attachment 1641235056
MJMFlyfisher,

May I ask for details about the background plate shown in your pic? It looks to be a very high-quality piece of kit.

Also, how do you like the Laguna machine lamp? I had never seen one before, so I just looked it up online. The adjustable light color (i.e., temperature) and brightness control are nice features.

Thank you.

Sure! The background plate is actually an adjustable book holder. The legs adjust for height and angle to kill the glare just right and if I need to use it for a reference book I just swing the little supports out and plop a book on it.
I also added a piece of peel and stick beige matte vinyl to my liking for the tying background.
Works great!
You can find them on Amazon for $24.

And the Laguna light is simply the best I've used.
Great reach so it's totally out of my way, and the adjustments and coverage are top notch.
I hard mounted it right to my desktop.
If it burned out today I'd by another one tomorrow LOL

Screenshot 20240329 142310

My tying bench located in a corner of my basement is pretty much a crowded mess. I have too much stuff crammed into small containers.

The second pic shows some of my "nymph" dubbing that was stuffed into the plastic container with the drawer open next to it. If I had this spread out on a peg board, it would be much more convenient to find what I was looking for.
Desk

Dubbing

Last edited:
UPGRADE.

View attachment 1641235056

Sure! The background plate is actually an adjustable book holder. The legs adjust for height and angle to kill the glare just right and if I need to use it for a reference book I just swing the little supports out and plop a book on it.
I also added a piece of peel and stick beige matte vinyl to my liking for the tying background.
Works great!
You can find them on Amazon for $24.

And the Laguna light is simply the best I've used.
Great reach so it's totally out of my way, and the adjustments and coverage are top notch.
I hard mounted it right to my desktop.
If it burned out today I'd by another one tomorrow LOL

View attachment 1641235075
Thanks for the info. Pretty slick setup you have there. I intend to move to a new house in approximately two years. One thing I'll be looking for in a new home will be a good place to set up and store all my outdoor gear. Of course, this requirement isn't high on the list of my wife's priorities, so I'll keep it to myself for now....

The book stand is a nice find. It looks like it would be much more expensive in your photo than it actually is. You can see the light blue foam-backed posterboard in my first pic behind the tool caddy. I just move that over and lean it behind the vise when I'm tying. I like the soft blue background, but it always seems to get in the way of accessing stuff I need to get at.

By the way, those red Meiho boxes you can see in the lower left corner of the pic above are a killer deal for storing flies of all types and sizes. To get the best price, I've found that you need to purchase them directly from Meiho's website. They're a good quality, made in Japan, box. Meiho makes all sorts of other models, too.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:

Meiho Box

How does that light work for you? I almost bought one but balked...
EASILY the best light I've ever used.
Has a huge amount of reach which keeps it completely out of my way of anything on my desk. It's a game changer over anything that sits next to your vise.
The light coverage is incredible too.
The brightness and color adjustments are great and it has a diffuser style lens which eliminates hard shadows. It's just easy on the eyes and makes tying easier which is what a light should do.
I said before....if it was gone today, I'd buy another one tomorrow. 👍

1000009221 02

Last edited:
I just picked up a new/used one today. Still moving in…
CED33DFB E227 42A3 AA88 2FB1DE28F2EC

Most important is an imperial IPA for motivation and soaking marabou. I’m new here and will attempt to add some vintage material photos.

E6AB1584 18B7 4A8B 8D16 B1D6FED45227

Attachments

• 05A6D15F-03FF-42A9-8393-92481EA257E9.jpeg
    05A6D15F-03FF-42A9-8393-92481EA257E9.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 475025CA-160D-438C-BDCB-93C053367893.jpeg
    475025CA-160D-438C-BDCB-93C053367893.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 19
Good heavens! I am certainly a minor league tier compared to you guys. Wow!

EASILY the best light I've ever used.
Has a huge amount of reach which keeps it completely out of my way of anything on my desk. It's a game changer over anything that sits next to your vise.
The light coverage is incredible too.
The brightness and color adjustments are great and it has a diffuser style lens which eliminates hard shadows. It's just easy on the eyes and makes tying easier which is what a light should do.
I said before....if it was gone today, I'd buy another one tomorrow. 👍

View attachment 1641235087
Thanks for the information. I use 2 different LED lamps, they are ok but I think I might pull the trigger on this!

My tying bench located in a corner of my basement is pretty much a crowded mess. I have too much stuff crammed into small containers.

The second pic shows some of my "nymph" dubbing that was stuffed into the plastic container with the drawer open next to it. If I had this spread out on a peg board, it would be much more convenient to find what I was looking for.
I’ve found peg board to be the least efficient and space wasting way to store tying material. Plastic shoe boxes and drawers for me. I do have some peg board buts it’s only for things I always use like peacock herl. All my dubbing fits in one shoe box.

Back