How do you store your rods?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

I've never thought much about it before I guess, but I just saw an ad on Craigslist where the seller states it was stored upright. Does it make a difference?

I really doubt that it makes a difference
FWIW - mine are stored upright, because they're kept in clothes closets. And that's the only way to get them in.
The only issue of concern IMO, is that they're dry.
If I was fishing in the rain, I let the rod out for at least a day or so, before packing it back in it's sock and tube.

I always dry mine for a day, then back in the tube they go.

All my rods hang horizontal in a rod rack on my basement ceiling. I have heard it said that you should not lean the rods in a corner or against a wall because the rods will take a set. Pure bunk in my opinion since I have never seen a curved rod anywhere.

poopdeck wrote:
All my rods hang horizontal in a rod rack on my basement ceiling. I have heard it said that you should not lean the rods in a corner or against a wall because the rods will take a set. Pure bunk in my opinion since I have never seen a curved rod anywhere.

The leaning against a wall thing is an outdated piece of from when bamboo dominated the rod market. Cane will in fact take a set if left leaning up against something or otherwise left bent. This is not a problem with fiberglass or graphite.

Letting rods dry on the other hand is still good advise. Sealing rods up in their tubes when damp can cause problems with the cork and all the finishes on the guide wraps, seat inserts and even the blank. It's not going to wreck every rod, every time, but if an when it does happen you'll be pissed.

Kev

My main rod stays put together 24/7 in my jeep, from the trunk right up to the rear view mirror. Straight, dry and always ready to use.

I've had an old fiberglass spinning rod take a set in the trunk of my car. I'm not sure if a newer rod would take a set or not. I keep my rods in their socks and tubes standing upright against the wall in a closet. I used to break a lot of rods so I'm anal about putting them back into their socks and tubes.

It doesn't matter how you store graphite rods, they will be fine. Just make sure they are dry.

Upright and as decor at the fishing cabin!!

It probably makes a difference if it's a bamboo rod, which also has to be dry when it's stored. My rods all go into a rod tube, when I'm finished fishing for the day. They are then laid flat.

fiberglass will curve if left leaning in a trunk or hot car. once the glass gets hot it could set. seen it a few times over the years, make sure your glass is not curved when in a car or truck.

Boo and green heart were known to set if left leaning.

I got sick of building and breaking down my rods before and after each outing, so I spent sunday installing long shelves in the garage. Love them already.

redietz wrote:
poopdeck wrote:
Pure bunk in my opinion since I have never seen a curved rod anywhere.

You obviously don't fish cane.

Sure don't. I also do not know anybody who has a cane rod and I have never seen an angler fishing a cane rod. BUT!!!!!!! I do see cane rods fairly often at auctions and, now that it has been mentioned, I can't recall ever seeing a straight one.

poopdeck wrote:
[
Sure don't. I also do not know anybody who has a cane rod and I have never seen an angler fishing a cane rod. BUT!!!!!!! I do see cane rods fairly often at auctions and, now that it has been mentioned, I can't recall ever seeing a straight one.

Actually, cane usually only takes a set if it's been abused. Most of the 20 or so that I own are reasonably straight.

Mine go right back in their tubes. To many times I stored them in the car and the car window or door shortened them, Or a hook got stuck in a sweater/carpet/seat.

Back