Home made Sein

CaptMatt

CaptMatt

Hey guys, havent posted in a while hope all is well.... I am going to make a home aid sein out of the netting from an old pair of swim trunks. Does any one know the demensions of a store bought sein that I could base the design on? Thanks in advance.

Is this for catching minnows or nymphs? For nymphs your typical swimtrunk mesh may have too large of holes. For nymphs, a cheese cloth type meshing is the more appropriate size I think. Anyhow, there is no exact dimension. I would design it to fold into a vest pocket conveniently. I made one from cheese cloth about 6 in. wide and 10 inches long and it seemed to work OK.

One problem I have with my homemade one is that I attached it on the ends to two small dow rods to open like a scroll. Problem is, it sort of stretches lengthwise and become too thin and I have to keep manipulating it. Ideally, it should have some support on all sides, but then it is impossible to roll/fold up. If you come up with a good design, let me know.

Well, the last sein i had was probably about 4 foot by six foot, and even my shorts aren't that big. :-D

Lot of time on your hands this summer huh Matt? I think I'd just buy one. Although I did spend about three hours yesterday making my own strike indicators, so I do understand the sometimes boring state of summer break.

guttrap wrote:
Lot of time on your hands this summer huh Matt? I think I'd just buy one. Although I did spend about three hours yesterday making my own strike indicators, so I do understand the sometimes boring state of summer break.

Ya, its too hot now for the Yankees to want to hire me to sweat and catch fish all day. P####@s :lol:

My brother and I made one out of a couple of small pieces of wood and a piece of window screen. Rolls up and fits in a large vest pocket; when unrolled, it probably measures about 14" X 18" or so.

Still thinking about that confederate remark I made the other day huh? Seriously though, flatstick sounds like he has a good idea.

Back