Holiday Swap 2011

Now that made me laugh - been there ! I have not tied in months. I just sat down and opened a beer and started cleaning my bench up.

Suckerspawn - take a kit on the road with you. I have spent a few nights in the hotel lobby sipping a drink and tying a few flies.
Safe travels !

flyfishermanj wrote:
Thanks for your consideration and let's hope I'm not banned from other swaps!

Dear Mods,

I vote for him to be removed completely from this board!! How dare him to exit a swap a full 6 weeks BEFORE the deadline!! Does he not understand that standard procedure is to notify the swap's host 6 weeks AFTER the deadline!! Acts of consideration like this shouldn't be permitted here!!!

JH

Suckerspawn,

Just goofing off, your early exit is fine and appreciated. You are more than welcome to join any swap that I may host in the future.

JH

Well, here's the pattern I tied, sorry,no pics at the moment, as my camera appears to be MIA...

Hare's Ear Soft Hackle

Hook: Standard or 2xL nymph hook, #10-18 (swap flies are on #14 JS 225's)
Thread: 8/0 Camel UNI thread
Tail: Speckled hen hackle fibers
Body: natural Hare's mask dubbing
Hackle: Speckled hen saddle

not the "official"pattern, but I've been using these with great results for many years now, so I have no problem with my slight alterations.

@ whheff, flies have arrived, and those are sweet!

@jay348, those look good, but think they will look better on the end of my leader!!

JH

thanks jason, hoping to bang these out by the weekend. i really got into tying these softies, so i'm still debating another fly.

hopefully i can hit the shop again before i do my holiday shopping so i dont feel so bad about spending the $.

flyfishermanj wrote:
@ whheff, flies have arrived, and those are sweet!
JH

I'm glad they made it. I can't wait to see the other flies in the swap.

sniper's flies have arrived!! Another fine set of softies I tell ya!!

JH

My flys went in the mail this morning. I tied the Birds Nest which is technically a soft hackle fly, but I thought it might not exactly fit with the others in this swap, so I decided to throw in an extra soft hackle that I tied up as a Christmas fly. No guarantee the Christmas fly will catch fish, but it was fun to tie. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of this swap.

Birds Nest
Hook: Daiichii 1550 #14
Thread: Olive Griffith 14/0 sheer
Tail: Mallard flank
Abdomen: Australian Possum natural
Rib: UTC fine gold wire
Hackle: Mallard flank
Thorax: Australian Possum natural
BirdsNest.JPG

Christmas Fly 2011
Hook: Mustad 94840 #16
Thread: Claret Griffith 14/0 sheer
Tag: UTC fine green wire
Abdomen: Red floss
Rib: UTC fine green wire
Thorax: Peacock herl
Hackle: Starling
ChristmasFly.JPG

And this is what rain on my week off produced. My wife won't let me use this pic for Christmas cards:
ChristmasFlyTree.JPG

Frequent Tyer,

another fine set flies have arrived!!

JH

i didnt look at the list of ties but just finished BH Hares Ear for the sawp will get them out tomorrow

My fly will be the Smoky Mtn Blackbird

Body – black rabbit and red wire
Thorax – black lite brite
Hackle – Grizzly Hen

anyone else notice that the latest issue of Fly Tyer magazine (Winter 2011) features a pattern called the "Xmas Soft Hackle"? Just found that to be a bit of a strange coincidence...

Just mailed my Pheasant Tail soft hackles today. Forgot to include the recipe though. Ooops! Here it is:

Hook - Dai-Riki #060 sise 14 nymph 1x strong 1x long
Tail - Pheasant Tail fibers
Body - Pheasant Tail fibers
Rib - Copper Ultra Wire
Thorax - Peacock herl
Hackle - Pheasant wing guard feather

I used the wing guard feather from a full pheasant body I dried for the hackle. I think it turned out pretty good. I included a pic of the feather I used incase I called the wrong thing.

Attachments

• Feather.jpg
    Feather.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 3
Im out. sorry for the bail. But im done with this forum.

:'(
Where will you display all of your fly tying awesomeness?

My site its in the signature. Take care.

johnny-depp-cry-baby-1_101912.jpg

These will be in the mail on Monday.

Hook: Size 14 Wet fly
Thread: UTC 8/0 Olive
Body: BWO Dyed Turkey Biot
Thorax: Fly DK (Slovenia) Classic 3/4 River Green mixed with 1/4 Fly Dk (Slovenia) Spectra Peacock Dubbing
Wing: European Winter Partridge

Attachments

• BWO Biot Soft Hackle.jpg
    BWO Biot Soft Hackle.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3
  • BWP Biot Soft Hackles.jpg
    BWP Biot Soft Hackles.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 4
becker, those look super fishy.

can't wait to get these flies back...now if only i had confidence fishing wet flies.

Well done Shane those should fish!

Back