Hit the tipping point today.

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Pffft... 30 plus years of being prepared. Why wouldn't you be. It's an old saying but it is one of the most real ones out there. Would rather have and not need, then to need and not have. The weapon wouldn't have done you any good in the scenario you described anyway. Never should have said a word unless you were prepared for the worst case scenario. Everybody is carrying a fone nowadays. Should have gone right to video got the car, the people and the plate while calling the PD. It ain't 50 years ago and things go fist city. Carrying a weapon of any type is a great responsibility every morning you step out the door with one. Make sure you are ready to do so. If it's something you've never done, well classes are good but that is just a fraction of the preparedness you need to be ready for. Think long and hard about it. If you must use it. Even if your in the right. It's prolly going to destroy you financially and mentally with the fact that you actually shot and possibly killed a person. as stated, great responsibility. Good luck.

I don't yet have a pistol I'm comfortable with. I need to trade the one I have on one I am confident with. Like several of you, I have found myself in a couple of bad situations: guys drinking and saying something about a gun, big parties along the Little Juniata, etc. A woodsman friend of mine says I'm dumb not to carry, that eventually a coyote with (or without) rabies is going to attack someone and that people need to be prepared for that eventuality. He tells me that many of the places he sees me fishing have significant populations of coyotes, though I have seen only a couple. Anyhow, there are lots of good reasons to carry, and I guess I ought to.

rrt- Coyotes? Not likely. If you really believe that you might want to invest in some sort of lightening protection for yourself.

Living in fear is no way to live in the woods or otherwise. Strapping on a gun to go out in the world will change the way you view others and that is the most profound change it will make. Your choice of course.

PocketWater wrote:
Let me ask you gents that carry something. When you conceal carry, do you have the clip in, one in the chamber, and you are ready to go....or have the clip in but would need to put one in the chamber if something occurred?

I have a handgun and the safety is a secondary trigger built into the trigger. I don't conceal carry, but always wondered if people walk around with it ready to fire or would need to maneuver the slide quickly.

I rarely carry but I always have one in the chamber. Things happen quickly and if you really need it, I don't expect to have the chance to work the slide.

I always treat guns as they are loaded, so carrying one in the chamber or just in the clip is the same to me as far as safety and being comfortable with it.

My main CCW is a revolver so I always have a live round ready to go and I don't have to be overly concerned where or how it is stored.

If I need more than five or six rounds to solve a problem afield, that's a BIG problem that most likely won't go my way regardless.

I also have a few loaded speed-loaders handy if my adversary misses. ;-)

When I fish in areas I don't feel comfortable in, I open carry.

foxtrapper1972 Posted on: Today 9:09
I cannot imagine how it would feel to go out in the world each day thinking I need to carry a firearm. The psychological change to ones self in relation to others is why I am most saddened.

[d]Living in fear is no way to live in the woods or otherwise. Strapping on a gun to go out in the world will change the way you view others and that is the most profound change it will make. Your choice of course[/d].

No you had it right the first time. My idea of the people around me in the world
has ALREADY changed and I don't even have a firearm yet. And why shouldn't it? Gov angencies rubberstamping unneeded projects in the name of public necessity so companies can make huge profits to the determent of property owners and our environment. People on the internet treating each other with less respect than a child molester gets in court. No one helps anyone any more. No one cares. Don't see it? It has nothing to do with living in fear. I'm not afraid but I'm not stupid either like some of you think.

Point is we all say, ain't like it used to be, can't let your kids play alone in the neighborhood anymore. It ain't safe. Then we proceed to do it like there are more child molesters than thugs and murders.
If you don't see it then perhaps you don't believe that God is letting sin run its course before he kills us all.

I for one, plan on making to my judgement naturally and without giving up the freedom to go to places I like to go without getting mugged or killed.
You wouldn't go in a dark alley waving a 1000 dollar bill in a urban area, but well wave that 1000 dollar fly rod around.

Note: I was fishing a 120 dollar lamiglas 1pc

Pocket water, I store my CCW with the trigger down as not to stress the firing pin spring. When carried it's hot. A split second to rack it may be too much time. Though I hope I am never in a situation to find out.

I've never carried when fishing. I don't feel a need to carry a gun in the woods unless I'm actively hunting game.

Edit: Sal, you hit on some interesting observations.

Sal FWIW -

The area around Bonnybrook, specifically downstream of the quarry bridge has always been a bit dodgy, even going back 20 or more years ago.

I encountered massive fireworks displays stream-side, swimmers, tubers (yea, tubers in the Letort) parties and other nonsense along the Quarry Meadow and Otto's.

Going back more than 20 years when you could park right by the pavilion at Vince's Meadow, there was a gang of kids from the apartments across the street who hung out at the pavilion and had parties and bonfires all night. I even confronted a couple of them trying to gig fish right at the end of the trail to the Letort.

Half the time I expected to find my car broken in to when I got back after fishing the evening hatch and I never felt easy walking off the creek at dark past them when there was 10 of them and one of me.

I even called the State Police one night after fishing when they carved up the picnic tables and did other damage to the property. Fortunately they grew up or moved away.

Bottom line, the fishin' isn't the only thing that's tough at the Letort!

I acquired my carry permit on my 21st thinking I would carry all the time and honestly I really hardly do. I do take it when I am fishing in sketchy places like locks on the Monongahela (because I have personally witnessed someone doing drugs) but other than that it's not often I am carrying.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Pocket water, I store my CCW with the trigger down as not to stress the firing pin spring. When carried it's hot. A split second to rack it may be too much time. Though I hope I am never in a situation to find out.

I've never carried when fishing. I don't feel a need to carry a gun in the woods unless I'm actively hunting game.

I'm full mag not hot when fishing or hunting and I plan on just scaring a bear...which I had to do on the Loyalsock last year.

Full mag +1, safety on everywhere else. On a PPK its easy and fast enough to pop my thumb safety while in the middle of a draw.

A heavy double action trigger is also a secondary safety.

huntfish:

" But what if the guy instead of fleeing, got out of his car with a weapon?"

So he gets out of a car with a weapon. Yours is in your pocket, or in a shoulder holster or in your waistband.

How in blue blazes is your weapon going to help you if the other guy already has his in his hand.

You gonna go for yours? Think your widow will let me have your fly fishing gear?

Well, if you are going to carry, you should practice your quick-draw for sure.

What if he gets out with a weapon, trips , falls and drops it. Do you let him pick it back up?

What if game. I love the what if game. Let's think all possible outcomes that only support your agruement!
I knew it would become a debate but this post is about why I am choosing to carry.

I'll simplify as to why I came to this conclusion using the what if game.
1 What if I don't have one and don't need it. -Iam ok
2 What if I don't have one and need it- dead
3 What if I have one and don't need it- I'm ok
4 What if I have one and need it- I'm ok possibly but if I didn't have it see outcome #2.

Only one outcome looks bad to me.

Yes, the way you paint it only one outcome is bad. What if you get struck by lightening instead. Probably similar likelihood.

Not sure why so many are so down on those law abiding citizens on here who choose to carry. It is their right and they went through the proper channels to do so. The only thing that has ever stopped a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. I am in the camp that say it is better to have one and never need it then to not have one and need it. I have had my carry permit in PA and now NY and have thankfully never had to use it. However, I am prepared if i ever need it and i wish more "good guys" would carry because most criminals know most people can't defend themselves. I support everyone's choice on here either way on the issue. If you aren't comfortable carrying then you shouldn't.

mcwillja wrote:
Not sure why so many are so down on those law abiding citizens on here who choose to carry.

Speaking for myself and perhaps others, I haven't seen anyone be "down on" those who choose to carry. But, when people imply it is the only sensible course of action, it is legitimate to question that conclusion.

The only thing that has ever stopped a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

bull$4it.

and guess what....I've been a couple situations where a lot of you would feel the need for a weapon.

And guess what again? I'm still alive, not dead like Sal assumes he would be.

of course, ymmv.

G-rated forum, please.

I took a chance on spring one time when a homeless guy was sizing me up. he was kneeling washing his face as I walked upstream. He did nothing but stare at me the whole time. When I walked past he got up, eyes fixed on me and then was following me. If I stopped to fish he would just watch. What he didn't know was I was staring at him a lot too. You can't see my eyes through my sunglasses. I took them off and looked right at him and reached by my side like I had a gun and I was ready to pull it. His whole damn demeanor changed. He smiled and started making small talk. I walked away, so did he. Being he was homeless I figured he had no weapon. Anyone else I wouldn't have done this unless I actually had one.

What if ....
I had no doubt in my mind he was going to try and rob me.

Tomi that's you.

How many people were in situations where they felt they needed one, didn't have one and are dead.

Yep likely more than just yours, but like you said ymmv

Back