Green weenie

jay1963

jay1963

g2_zpsqtc77x4n.jpg
and a side view
g1_zpslrjce28g.jpg

my attempt at a translucent green weenie
hook size 18
green thread covered with a thin green dubbed body, covered with plastic stretch green.
I do think I will tie them on 12 and 14 straight nymph .
any comments or pointers?
Thanks for looking

I've always supposed that the purpose of the loop at the back of green weenies (I always leave it off) is to give some movement to the thing. I don't see that happening with the loop of plastic here. I'd try some with and some without.

I'd also consider an underbody of bright green floss.

I think you're on the right track with 12 and 14 nymph hooks -- maybe even bigger.

These are just a some thoughts for further experimentation; I'm sure it will work as a caddis larva as is.

I'd try it with a sparse short marabou tail. I think the tubing is a great idea.

Google "green inchworm", click Images. Then take it from there.

The reason that the Greenie has such a reputation as a trout catcher is that trout really love inchworms, and inchworms are very widely distributed, and over much of the trout season.

So are caddis larvae and they are much more common than inchworms in trout waters.

FGSIII wrote:
So are caddis larvae and they are much more common than inchworms in trout waters.

Good point ^

Rhyacophila is a fairly common free-living caddis larva that inhabits many PA streams in the spring to early summer, when most of the trout fishing is done.

I would guess the bright color of the larva would be a trigger for feeding trout, and the green weenie fits the bill for imitating it.
As always, only the trout know for sure..

Attachments

• Rhyacophila.jpg
    Rhyacophila.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 7
Back