Green Weenie

Eggs matching the exact color of any active spawn in the stream is not a junk fly. I conceed that. It is not a fly at all.

If a green weenie is a rock worm imitation, it is a larvae of fly. If it is an inch worm it is a terrestrial but not a fly. If it is being used to imitate powerbait, it too is not a junk fly, it is just artificial bait.

Here all this time I was tying my Green Weenie's to mimic a sinking inchworm. What will the trout do with this new information?LOL.

Are all motion flies junk flies?
No streamer could be called imitation by appearance.

Most mayfly drys don't look so real either when you compare them to the natural but the trout still try to eat them. They are all suggestive imitations of real food items.

My question was inferring that dry fly types are delusional.*

*does not included those skillful enough to have their imitation facing upstream.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Here all this time I was tying my Green Weenie's to mimic a sinking inchworm. What will the trout do with this new information?LOL.

Then you are calling it the wrong thing...You are tying sinking inchworms. Not the fat chennile palmered fly with a loop on the back. If thats what you are tying then its not a sinking inchworm, its a green weenie.

Either that or you find it easy to fool yourself.

I know what a Green Weenie is. I was trying to imply that they work no matter what we think they imitate. The trout like them that's what matters. I tie my own version with a different material but that's classified information. LOL.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
The trout like them that's what matters.

I think everyone has acknowledged this. Why they work, and why powerbait works is the big mystery. See, we traditionalists think our flies work because they are impressions of aquatic insects. We have outsmarted ourselves, the trout, AND the rest of you. :cool:

Pete, as usual, I can't wrap my mind around your comments. But, to the extent I can, let me say that when a streamer imitates bait fish, it isn't a fly either, but it is an excellent artificial bait, just like the GW, SJW and BD.

They are all flys

Dry flys
Wet flys
nymphs
streamers
egg patterns

What makes them a fly is the fact they are tied to be used as terminal tackle to be delivered via a weighted line versus being delivered a weightless line.

They may not be mayflys or caddis flys or stoneflys or trueflys. But they are flys indeed.

In some cases the least traditional and accepted ones are called Junk Flys. We don't need to turn the nomenclature on its head over this discussion. Just admit they are junk. Its the first step to rehabilitation.

Just joshing about "exact imitation dry flies " which go headfirst.

Do you use any artificial or synthetic materials in the construction of any of your flies? If so then I would not consider that traditional. What do you mean by traditional? Are you a dry fly purist who watches the water for a hatch or a rise while the rest of us just nymph fish. Who is outsmarting who? While you purists are watching the water I'm catching trout. If the trout want as you put it "Artificial Bait" then that is what I give them. What do you think your mayflys are? I'll tell you they are bait also! It's all "Artificial Bait" no matter how you try to convince yourself otherwise.

WTT, My name is Maurice and I fish Green Weenies.

Hi Maurice

I fish dry flys probably 15% of the time, only when the fish tell me to.

I try to refrain from fishing weenies, SJW's egg patterns, etc., because I believe if I have to stoop to such levels on a trout stream then I may as well be spin fishing.

Erie is different, I have been known to even put skein juice on my flys up there to increase the chance of a hook up. Up there its all about the hook up.

I am not being sanctimonious, I just can't see why its so hard for people to admit the green weenie is like cheating. I use them sometimes but I don't try to convince others that they are insect or fishbait/baitfish imitations. Thats all.

I tie a caddis larvae that looks alot like a maggot.

Oh and by traditional I don't mean old fashioned with only feathers and fur, I have lots of synthetic materials, I use them often to imitate characteristics difficult to do with natural materials.

So when I was told back in the late 70's that what you are calling a green weenie was an inch worm and would work on Clarks creek I was wrong.I guess I shouldn't fish Royal Coachmen either because they are attractor flies so therefore are also junk flies cause they dont really imitate anything ...all they do is catch trout... Ill use them all day and not give a sh## what anyone says as long as I enjoy myself

Maurice, My post was not for your benefit. I was responding to JackM. and his comment about outsmarting himself, the trout, and the REST of us. I think that may include anyone who does not fish "Traditional". I wonder do you traditionalists all fish with bamboo or do you also use graphite rods? I use both but then I don't give myself such a label. I just love to flyfish and when I do I like to catch fish. I will use any fly that I think will work to do just that. If it requires a Green Weenie than so be it.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Maurice, My post was not for your benefit. I was responding to JackM. and his comment about outsmarting himself, the trout, and the REST of us. I think that may include anyone who does not fish "Traditional". I wonder do you traditionalists all fish with bamboo or do you also use graphite rods? I use both but then I don't give myself such a label. I just love to flyfish and when I do I like to catch fish. I will use any fly that I think will work to do just that. If it requires a Green Weenie than so be it.

I agree with you 100%

I just googled up green weenie and it sure looks like a water worm to me.Use to catch them for my father who used them to catch trout.

the booby fly looks like a winner in slow water.

pete, anyone here will tell you that the san juan worm imitates aquatic worms that are abundant in streams and frequently eaten by trout.

When you boil it down, I think that as fly fishermen we are putting a handicap on ourselves. Whether they imitate something or not, "junk flies" like the green weenie and SJW are gaudy, bright, and extremely simple to tie. Since the fly fisherman inside of us wants a challenge, we tend to feel uneasy about using such easy ties. Some people only care about catching. Others want to feel like the tricked a smart trout. Neither is better than the other, just different.

Can we at least agree on this?

Why they work, and why powerbait works is the big mystery.

I really don't think any fly talked about here is a mystery at all.

Like it or not, fish don't only eat insects. They eat other fish, spawn of other fish, aquatic worms, terrestrials, etc. Imitating anything on their food items list can be effective, and is more effective in some situations than others.

If you're an "insect" purist, fine, say so. But don't turn around and fish a streamer yet call a sucker spawn a junk fly!

It's sad what the sport has come to. Harrumph!

Back