Green Weenie

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Don't diss the weenie - it works.

Here's a link to someone that knows...

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/greenieweenie.html

Looks like his bead fell off in the last step.

Everyone has their own definition of junk fly. Mine is: "any fly that proves definitively how dumb trout are." All flies that give the angler an illusion that trout are smart is NOT a junk fly by definition.

Best definition ever.

Ya know, I think rising through the water column to take a feather imitation makes them pretty dumb.

So there. Anything that floats is a junk fly. This opinion is officially certified by Jack's definition of a junk fly.

jayL wrote:
Last time I checked, all of my flies... even the cutwing no-hackles, have a colossal curved spike coming out of their rectum.

I tried to use this example to my brother in law to illustrate why the tippet diameter had little effect on visibility, and all the effect on drag.

I gave up.

jayL wrote:
So there. Anything that floats is a junk fly.

Well done indeed!

I guess I'll have to try them out to see what all the fuss is about. What about sizes?

I love "Junk" flies! Easy to tie and catch fish. What more can you ask for. I caught my largest "Wild" Brown this year on a "Junk" fly.

Why is "wild" in quotes? Possible escapee?

No it was wild. I just wanted everyone to see that I specifically meant a wild trout. I caught him in Spring Creek back in early October. Very nice, fat ,colorful male wild brown trout that went 18 inches. What a gorgeous trout to catch on a "Junk" fly! LOL.

The weenie is a go-to fly for brookies in mountain streams. You can see it and more importantly you can see when it disapears.

I may tie another parachute weenie. If I do, I'll post. Bruno may or may not still have the original.

Remember this silliness?

12_47e158e43ee66.jpg

12_47e1680ce4cdb.jpg

This fly either kills them or sends the trout running for cover and it's success or failure is all dependent on ambient conditions.

I have a certain fondness with a green weenie. I've caught many trout, bass, and panfish with it. I tie mine with a looped tail, and the smallest bead chain eyes I could find. I also use the regular chenille rather than the micro. That gives it the right amount of wiggle and weight. I actually caught a few nice wild brownies on it last year and love it for fresh stockies.

I love junk flies. I always called them Candy flies for some reason.
Whatever. They always work for me. I think some flies catch more fisherman than fish.

BPS, I agree.

I don't use it, but rather us a fly we like to call the greenie worm, it imitates a green inch worm. It is fished like a nymph cast upstream into the in flow of polls.

Some old bass fisherman from the Harrisburg area said "Anything works for those smallmouth as long as it's green" don't remember who but it's been quoted often. My vote is also that they are all Junk Flies especially the Griffiths gnat , junky azz fly fizzers.

Green Worm patterns have been used for many years before anyone came up with the name "Green Weenie."

They were tied to imitate 2 insects:

Green Caddis Larvae. The Rhyacophila caddis, which have no case, are big caddis larva, and the underside color is a very bright green.

Inchworms, or oakworms, are very common. You see them hanging by threads from trees through much of the year. From about May through October. Trout go crazy for them. Everybody knows that trout love ants and beetles, but they like inchworms as well, or better.

Back