Green Weenie

Me too. I also have a floating inchworm pattern that I use that works very well.

osprey wrote:
Some old bass fisherman from the Harrisburg area said "Anything works for those smallmouth as long as it's green" don't remember who but it's been quoted often. My vote is also that they are all Junk Flies especially the Griffiths gnat , junky azz fly fizzers.

I don't think I've ever considered the Griffith's gnat a junk fly. Peacock and palmered hackle doesn't sound like junk to me. One of my favorite midge patterns out there.

I don't know what that guy on the one web site tied but it wasn't a green weenie, they aren't weight and they don't have bead heads.

i like the cdc loopwing weenie

Charlie Meck is the guy in the video tying the Weenie , he did not invent the Weenie , he has written several books on the subject of fly fishing/tying , the only thing i know for sure that he invented is "The **** Cheney Pool" on Bobs Creek. As for sizes of the Weenie? Does size really matter? a couple x's longer shank might help. On certain streams i'm almost positive that they mistake the Weenie for an inchworm.

osprey wrote:
As for sizes of the Weenie? Does size really matter?

I just sprayed coffee all over my monitor! :lol:

Here is another green weenie story from zenriver:

Here's another one, coming second hand from the inimitable Joe Biss of Boiling Springs. If anyone here knows Joe, they are quite aware of his English, gin-dry sense of humor. His fishing ability is well respected. Anyway, one day way back when we all had more hair on top, he's fishin some unnamed stream, when he notices some kid and his dad fishing near him. Joe, is doing his normal routine, catching fish with ease....with a good ole green weenie. Eventually, the kid walks up to Joe. "Hey mister, whaddya catchin' 'em on?" Joe shows the impressionable young lad his fly and gives him one. Very soon Joe notices the kid yanking a nice stockie outta the water...then another one!! Good stuff, huh? Well, the fly in time is lost. And the kid ambles back to Joe, a big grin showing a nice tooth gap, "You wouldn't happen to have another one of those, "Tennis Ball Maggots" would you!!! God I love that one!

I don't refute that green weenies are an effective imitation of cased caddis as well as green inchworms. However, they are also a successful egg imitation. Just like eggs, they work on rainbows all the time and browns during the early spring sucker run.

osprey wrote:

the only thing i know for sure that he invented is "The **** Cheney Pool" on Bobs Creek.

That sounds like an interesting story. Go ahead...

Fish don't have fingers, and they don't have hobbies. If they see something interesting, then maybe its food and the only way to check is with their mouths.

So, there's evidently something alluring about bright green chenille. Who knows what neuron it fires off in the deep recesses of fish brain, but it evidently works.

Someday, like suckerspawn, I'llg ive these things a serious effort. Its hard to have confidence in something so silly.

troutbert.......in on of his books he names a certain pool on Bob's Creek 'cause i guess **** caught a few outta there while he was guiding him.

gfen,

I don't see why suckerspawn is silly? It represents the spawn of other fish, which is a very important and very natural food supply of trout. A natural imitation no different than any other.

green weenies, well, you could make the same argument as another egg imitation, green caddis, or green inchworms. But the representation is less exact.

pcray1231 wrote:
I don't see why suckerspawn is silly? It represents the spawn of other fish, which is a very important and very natural food supply of trout. A natural imitation no different than any other.

I don't doubt its utility, there's lots of examples of why suckerspawn work, but its a hunk of yarn on a hook. Its silly, and I find that no matter how many photos I see and stories I read, I just can't believe in it.

However, like I said up there above, fish doesn't have hands, so if it looks interesting there's only one thing it wants to know, how to eat it and the onyl way to do that is with its mouth.

yarn + thread on a hook = hunks of fuzz + feather + thread on a hook. Both kind of silly looking when you think about it.

And personally, I think the egg imitations are more realistic, that is, they look more like spawn than our feathered flies look like insects.

Suckerspawn really shines for steelhead fishing.

jayL wrote:
I may tie another parachute weenie. If I do, I'll post. Bruno may or may not still have the original.

I do not. But I had a day where more fish tried to eat my indicator than my nymph. The para weenie was tied on and caught fish. I have always had luck with Jays more inspired creations.

Well if the green weenie is blasphemy... then John Geirach's "string thing" must be akin to the devil. The one thing I could never understand about fly fisherman is why the notion of a simple fly (especially one that consistently catches fish) somehow diminishes the art of fly fishing. Most complex flies are designed to catch fisherman rather than fish.

I have spent time tying complex flies for my own satisfaction but the vast majority of my tying are what I consider to be combat flies that are easy to tie, easy to mass produce, and don't cost a fortune... that way when I lose one... no biggie!

So as far as I am concerned... long live the green weenie, the san juan worm, the wooly bugger, the blood dot, and yes... even the string thing!

Pittflyguy, I agree 100%. I could'nt have said it any better. Good post.

I'LL go along with that , the two previous posters n me makes three and don't forget the Griffiths Gnat

I disagree with the griffiths gnat being a junk fly. It is a non-descript midge pattern no more no less than the Adams is to a mayfly.

The "green Weenie" as a pattern is tied not to immitate a green inchworm nor a caddis larvae or anything but an attractive, color-effective piece of tasteless bait.

Back