Graystones Preserve (Mud Run - Carbon County) for Sale

Swattie87

Swattie87

Graystones Preserve

Anyone want to go in with me? Ha!

The listing linked on the YT page has it at $13.5 million.

Be nice if the state took a look at this, but at that price I can understand why they wouldn’t.

Tiger trout, huh? Sounds like pelletheads if they are advertising Tiger Trout.

Could you sell enough memberships to offset the building maintenance and property tax? Doubt it.

GoFundMe? lol

I love Mud Run and that looks beautiful. I always wondered what was down in there. I can only imagine what a membership cost. It's not on the website, so I'll go by the old "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".

Wouldn't it be nice if one of those conservancies would buy it and make it public access water. I think its possible given the high quality stream and the surrounding public land...

salvelinus wrote:
I can only imagine what a membership cost. It's not on the website, so I'll go by the old "if you have to ask, you can't afford it".

I emailed them for pricing a while ago out of curiosity.

Full Annual Membership - $4,500/yr.
Weekday Annual Membership - $3,500/yr.
Corporate/Event Membership - available upon request
Full Stream Fishing Add-On - $1,000/yr.
Limited Hunting Add-On Available

I'm sure the section right by the cabins/dam and along their road they stock heavily for their clients. Mud Run has wild fish in it though.

From the advertising, it seems as though it's the owner's intent with the sale to keep it a private, exclusive hunting/fishing club. It's not like there's any access to lose there, since there's no real access (other than a membership) to it now anyway, but I could see this getting into the wrong hands where it's even more "exclusive" than it is now. Though most, including myself, would never pay those kind of yearly dues even if you could afford them, in comparison to some other similar "private fly fishing clubs" out there they're really not that expensive.

Clearly, the ideal outcome is a conservancy or the state somehow acquiring it, and opening up access to the public. Not sure the owners would sell it to those entities though, and at that price I'm sure that's not an option. Most conservancies have land donated to them and don't actually purchase it.

I know there are nice fish in Mud Run, but the Brownie and Rainbow in the video.....I have my doubts unless from stock truck.

The Greystone section of Mud Run is stocked. The upper end of the stretch is high gradient and not stocked (they call it the "wild mile") where there are wild BT and STs. The lower two miles or so down to the Lehigh is a mix of wild and stocked trout. It's really a nice section of stream, and also worth a hike in to fish the Hickory Run State Park section above Greystone.

afishinado wrote:
It's really a nice section of stream, and also worth a hike in to fish the Hickory Run State Park section above Greystone.

I tried this once. Couldn't make it through the rhodo fortress on the north side of the stream, getting down from 534. All the trails seem to peter out into a wall of rhodo. Tried to wade the stream down, but you can't get past that first really deep corner hole down from Hawk Run with the cliffs on both sides. Is there a trail that gets you down to the lower HRSP boundary that I missed?

A number of years ago my buddy and I hiked down the trail on the west side of the turnpike. It was thick but passable. We fished down but the water was high and we had to stop at some falls. I don't know how we made it past the hole Swattie mentions. There is no walking the bank; it's either sheer rock walls or impenetrable rhododendron.

A couple years later we tried it again when the water was lower and were able to go pretty far downstream. We caught a bunch of stocked brookies, no wild fish. I have always wondered how they got stocked trout got down in there.

Swattie87 wrote:
afishinado wrote:
It's really a nice section of stream, and also worth a hike in to fish the Hickory Run State Park section above Greystone.

I tried this once. Couldn't make it through the rhodo fortress on the north side of the stream, getting down from 534. All the trails seem to peter out into a wall of rhodo. Tried to wade the stream down, but you can't get past that first really deep corner hole down from Hawk Run with the cliffs on both sides. Is there a trail that gets you down to the lower HRSP boundary that I missed?

salvelinus wrote:
A number of years ago my buddy and I hiked down the trail on the west side of the turnpike. It was thick but passable. We fished down but the water was high and we had to stop at some falls. I don't know how we made it past the hole Swattie mentions. There is no walking the bank; it's either sheer rock walls or impenetrable rhododendron.

A couple years later we tried it again when the water was lower and were able to go pretty far downstream. We caught a bunch of stocked brookies, no wild fish. I have always wondered how they got stocked trout got down in there.

Some info from a past thread on Mud Run > Mud Run

The PAFBC doesn't stock it down that far. Those brookies are from upstream at the only stocking point on the dhalo. They move pretty quickly out of that stretch into the lower reaches.

Graystones Preserve: An exclusive property where hyperbole abounds.

afishinado wrote:

Yeah, I remember that discussion too. I'm still not quite sure how to legally and safely get down to the bottom end of the HRSP water. More exploring through the rhodo on the north hillside is in order it sounds like.

Swattie87 wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Yeah, I remember that discussion too. I'm still not quite sure how to legally and safely get down to the bottom end of the HRSP water. More exploring through the rhodo on the north hillside is in order it sounds like.
If you ever need someone to smash through rhodo with, PM me. I've been spending a lot of time in that area lately but still haven't fished any Lehigh Tribs upstream of Stony.

phiendWMD wrote:
If you ever need someone to smash through rhodo with, PM me. I've been spending a lot of time in that area lately but still haven't fished any Lehigh Tribs upstream of Stony.

We’ll need a saw. A big one.

Can't you access it from 534 through the camping area on the Albrightsville end?

Yeah. We’re talking further downstream though. The HRSP stretch downstream of the TPike essentially. There’s a big hole just downstream of the TPike you can’t wade through, or around because of cliffs, to keep moving downstream. I haven’t found a way down to the stream from 534 below that hole somewhere due to the rhodo.

People have clearly done it, but they understandably are tight lipped about the details. Merits more investigation. Last time there I swore I’d never try again, but maybe.

I might be up for some looking around in there. I know most access places in the area : ) since its my home waters

Back